Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Who’s talking about trading for him? I’d sign him if the Eagles have to release him.

I thought I saw someone in this thread throwing his name out.  I don't think the Eagles would trade him with Dallas injured.

But his yards after catch is falling year after year. Zach Ertz will turn 30 next month. His yards after catch per reception, by season:

2015: 4.27
2016: 3.58
2017: 3.45
2018: 3.22
2019: 3.11
2020: 2.21

HIs stock is falling on an impressive pace along with Wentz. It's funny I found an article from 15 months ago at how DeSean "Hammy Sandwich" Jackson was going to really opening things up for Ertz so he can start to right that embarrassing YAC trend.

Edited by RandyHolt

34 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We badly need a TE but not one who wants top 3 money. That would be so Bruce Allen given we suck in 70% of the positional groups we’ve currently got.

Agree.

I would look to firm up at QB OL and WR long before inking a high price TE. We have holes all over on offense.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

Agree.

I would look to firm up at QB OL and WR long before inking a high price TE. We have holes all over on offense.

Yep, we didn’t really stretch past that 10mil p/y mark for Hooper last year so we clearly have defined limits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Are you saying the only way to get better at TE is to pay 15mil p/y to Ertz?

No, I’m saying we have to spend money. We have a lot. We have a ton of needs. I may feel differently about Ertz when I watch him after this season is over. But for now, I think he is a tremendous upgrade over any second option we have on this roster. And if we manage to draft a good receiver, or sign a good receiver he’s a tremendous third option. 

Could do it the other way, too. Sign a Juju type and draft a tight end. I’d love a Schuster + Brevin Jordan combo.

But every year we say... and yes, we, because I’ve done it... “we don’t want to spend big money on xxxx”. 

And it’s because we are gunshy.

But at some point we have to sign upgrades. 

Edited by KDawg

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

But at some point we have to sign upgrades. 

Yep we do, and TE being a major need that has to be addressed along with the boat load of other needs in a balanced way. Your recent posts in this thread imply there is no middle ground between Logan Thomas and Ertz, which is more the point others in the thread are making.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yep we do, and TE being a major need that has to be addressed along with the boat load of other needs in a balanced way. Your recent posts in this thread imply there is no middle ground between Logan Thomas and Ertz, which is more the point others in the thread are making.

There certainly is... I’d like to see a big investment at linebacker, TE and OL. 

Could be in any number of ways throughout the  offseason. 

I don’t think my recent posts are anything of the sort, for the record. I think they are pure statements: we stink. We need to spend money on guys to get better. We may have to pay a lot to get better so we get good team discounts down the line. 

Edited by KDawg

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

TE's and WR's tend to be much better when the QB throwing the ball to them is not running for his life. I realize alot of you guys watch film and are talking above my pay grade but I really do believe that.

Yes. Still need weapon upgrades. And line upgrades.

I'll never understand some peoples mind set. We need a TE, Oline, WR, QB, everything. So, a good TE may be available, but we shouldn't sign him because we have other needs that may be prioritized first? Whatever. Need is a need.

TE may be the most important need on offense. It's criminal to try and get young QBs settled in without them having a sure thing to target and an extra blocker when needed. It should have been a priority target in the draft for almost a decade, but somehow Reed and then 47 yo Davis kept us from further investing in the position.

Why hold onto all that cap money too? Some act like we should wait until we know it's the year we're going to the superbowl or clear top 3 favorites to win it all, before we should sign a quality player.

FAs cost more. That's the league. It's how it goes. Too bad. Players don't want to come here, because we don't win games. We need to change that, even if it means becoming an 8-8 team instead of who we are now. 

An over rated TE picked the Browns for less money than us, with an entirely new staff and beginning. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

TE may be the most important need on offense. It's criminal to try and get young QBs settled in without them having a sure thing to target and an extra blocker when needed.

An over rated TE picked the Browns for less money than us, with an entirely new staff and beginning. 

Vicious circle really. Young QB needs a sure thing at TE, convincing a TE to sign here might need a major upgrade at QB first.

Hooper was on record as choosing the Browns because of Mayfield.

The answer at TE likely comes via the draft IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Vicious circle really. Young QB needs a sure thing at TE, convincing a TE to sign here might need a major upgrade at QB first.

Hooper was on record as choosing the Browns because of Mayfield.

The answer at TE likely comes via the draft IMO.

I've been pounding the table for a high TE pick since Reed was healthy ols

I'm fine with both honestly. We have zero at the position.

We definitely need to stop throwing resources at young QBs until we have a TE for them.

• Like 1

I'm only half joking with my comments. One of the most frustrating things about this off-season was the low number of UDFAs we picked up. I know this is a different offseason and Ron talked about the challenges the team faced with COVID, but how many UDFAs did other teams pick up? Why were we the lowest in the league? 

Here's the thing. We seem to have a keen ability to find UDFAs and low round picks. I don't think its something speical about us, just that we normally draft more lower picks (our philosophy has generally been to have 4 or 5 picks in rounds 6 nad 7 and pick about a dozen UDFAs). It doesn't mean much but the first thing that people need is opportunity. 

Then you look at some of these lower round and UDFA guys: 

- Emanuel Hall - a 6'3 4.4 WR

- Donald Parham a 6'8 4.6 TE

- Jimmy Moreland

- Karmen Curl

- James Smith Williams

- Kelvin Harmon

- Greg Stroman

- Shaun Dion Hamilton

- Trey Quinn

- Josh Harvey Clemons

- Chase Roullier

- Robert Davis

- Thaddeous Moss

- Isaiah Wright

You can add to this list the players we've picked up from Carolina: 

- Marcus Baugh

- Temarrick Hemmingway

And who was the guy who was looking good last year? 

- Hale Hentges

I can go on. Each of these guys is a project and has to go a long ways to prove themselves on the roster. But the thing is that we can normally get guys who have the athletic ability (notice the first two) but need to prove that they belong in the league. I'm not a big fan of Bruce's "he slipped to the 6th because he was hurt" strategy. But I do like the "his 40 time is not indicative of his real game speed" type drops. I also like the "he's only a 6th rounder because he went to a small school. Had he gone to Alabama he'd be a first rounder". 

Now, it is a reach to say that any of the names I mentioned above or just a low round pick in general will be a face of the franchise type player, but this goes against the whole "invest x amount of money into the position" or "sign high draft pick player Y". But while we're a rebuilding team (which we seem to always be as long as we keep replacing coaches and QBs and coordinators) I don't want to sign a guy like Amari Cooper or Austin Hooper and just bank on them being as good here as they've been in the past. I've got too many memories of FA busts coming here for the $$ and checking out when it became time to work hard. 

On the other hand, when we have some level of consistency and a system in place we can draft young players and either give them playing time immediately or let them sit on the bench and grow until they're ready without the pressure of a first second or third round pick. Heck look at the pressure we saw Christian and Apke under (before this year). I just think its easier and maybe more likely that we find more gems by investing more low round picks and UDFAs into the TE position and trying to develop them as we grow. 

Hopefully we see some more changes on this team this week. We've already seen shakeup at the QB position, the LB position and the OG position. Maybe we'll see less snaps from Thomas this week and more for Hemmingway. I know literally nothing about this guy other than he caught a pass last week. Don't even know who it was from. But it was more impressive than anything I've seen from Thomas and is improper route running. I had hopes for Baugh based on what Ron's been saying but he's not getting opportunities. 

47 minutes ago, method man said:

No to Ertz. Yes to Jonnu Smith, who is emerging and is a good 2 way TE. I don’t know if Tennessee has the cash to bring him back. You could also get Blake Jarwin on the cheap

I won’t say no to Ertz. But I would like Jonnu. 

I think Tennessee is going to try to keep him, though. I also think it’s possible, depending on the rest of this season, that Smith and Ertz are ballpark same cost. 

I’d throw in on a few quality TEs and whoever signs the contract first we keep

3 hours ago, method man said:

No to Ertz. Yes to Jonnu Smith, who is emerging and is a good 2 way TE. I don’t know if Tennessee has the cash to bring him back. You could also get Blake Jarwin on the cheap

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I won’t say no to Ertz. But I would like Jonnu. 

I think Tennessee is going to try to keep him, though. I also think it’s possible, depending on the rest of this season, that Smith and Ertz are ballpark same cost. 

I’d throw in on a few quality TEs and whoever signs the contract first we keep

Several of the elite TE's in the league that many people thought were "finished", are doing very well in their latest home...i.e. 35 year old Jimmy Graham.

So, in our situation, I'd definitely take a long look at Ertz

• Like 1