Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phil Taylor`s status? (met)

nashvilleskinsfan

He was our front runner for starting nose tackle last year.  Something we haven't had in years. A true big body athlete that we needed.  Ionnidis stepped up but those 2 would have been part of a great rotation.

The last Giants game left a terrible taste  in my mouth.   They ran right up our gut. I think Phil would've made a difference even making our secondary and lb's more effective. 

I believe in athletic,  big bodies on the defensive line.

While I agree it would be nice to have him work out - he has not played since 2014 when he was only in 5 gms. His only full season was 2011. The last two years have ended in injury during training camp - at Denver then here. 

I am not sure he is someone they should count at all. 

Yes that is true but neither is Phil Taylor. He's just a really large dude who once played football. If we are going to keep trying to play this 3-4 I hope to god they find someone to fill this position. Have we had a true nose since we switched to 3-4 ?

I seem to remember one guy we drafted in the 7th round cant remember his name but Thom Loverro called him the Pocono Punisher.   

He looked damn good before his injury. Sadly, I think injuries are to be expected going forward.  Major ones. He cannot be depended on being a starter. 

Otherwise, if Jordan Reed is back, maybe Taylor will be as well.  But I think both of them should get spot duty at most, at least until most the way through the season or we are facing elimination. Neither should be starting if a goal is to have them last 16 games.  Taylor can be a short yardage goal line guy.... hmmm maybe a Fridge like full back.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:49 AM, pjfootballer said:

I'm just ready for a change back to a base 4-3.  We've never been able to run a great 3-4 since we made the switch under Shanahan.

Yep.  Every time we talk about getting a true nose, we start talking about how we are in base only a fraction of the time so need an every down nose tackle or find a good NT on the cheap.  OK,  you are either going to have to make a large investment to find that true NT who can also give you quality DT play or you are just going to have to throw crap on the wall and see what sticks as it appears that we don't do a good job finding that guy or if we do (Phil Taylor might have been that guy) isn't injured. 

Meanwhile, our defense was historically bad in 1999 and was top 10 the next year.  Our defense was crap (sorry for offending crap) in 2003 and was elite the next.  We fell off huge in 2006 and were back in 2007. Going back, to 1970, our defense was at the bottom of the league and in 1971 it was top 10.  A good part of Joe Gibbs success came from the fact that the 1980 defense was considered one of the best in the NFL.  Since Shanny took over in 2010, we have not even had a decent defense, much less a great one!

1 hour ago, carex said:

we have the wrong LBs for that

Going into the 2004 season, we had just lost the best CB in the NFL, had no middle linebacker, and a converted college DE playing one outside backer (true, he was a pretty highly rated at LB).  During the season, the other outside linebacker (who we ALL thought was a blue) got hurt and was replaced by an undersized, special teams ace.  Also, our DE was lost for the season and replaced by a UDFA. Going into 2005, that same defense lost a starting CB (albeit not our number 1) and again had no middle LB.

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Yep.  Every time we talk about getting a true nose, we start talking about how we are in base only a fraction of the time so need an every down nose tackle or find a good NT on the cheap.  OK,  you are either going to have to make a large investment to find that true NT who can also give you quality DT play or you are just going to have to throw crap on the wall and see what sticks as it appears that we don't do a good job finding that guy or if we do (Phil Taylor might have been that guy) isn't injured. 

Meanwhile, our defense was historically bad in 1999 and was top 10 the next year.  Our defense was crap (sorry for offending crap) in 2003 and was elite the next.  We fell off huge in 2006 and were back in 2007. Going back, to 1970, our defense was at the bottom of the league and in 1971 it was top 10.  A good part of Joe Gibbs success came from the fact that the 1980 defense was considered one of the best in the NFL.  Since Shanny took over in 2010, we have not even had a decent defense, much less a great one!

The team has tried a variety of things at DC: 

1999 - Mike Nolan - 24th in points against - Was there the 2 years before, so was adopted when Dan bought the team.

2000 - Ray Rhodes - 7th in points against - Rhodes was a twice failed head coach and this was his first gig back

2001 - Kurt Schottenheimer - 13th in points against - Marty's son...

2002 - Marvin Lewis - 12st in yards against - This was Marvin's job between being the Ravens DC and a HC. Probably cost a bit to have him. 

2003 - George Edwards - 24th in points against - Was his first DC job and came form the Cowboys. 

2004 to 2007 - Gregg Williams - 5th to 27th in points against - Was a legit hire. Was a good DC who just failed as a head coach in Buf.

2008 to 2009 - Gregg Blache - 6th, then 18th - Was a career DC who had one good year in Chicago. Never coached in the NFL again. 

2010 to 2014 - Jim Haslett - 21st to 30th - Was a former head coach, but never really had a good defense beneath him. Hasn't worked since being the Wash DC.

2015 to 2016 - Joe Barry - 17th then 19th - Career coordinator who had a short stint as a DC. Was the Assistant HC of the Rams. 

2017 - Greg Manusky - 27th in points against - Career DC. 

Looking at that there was so much change year over year earlier in the process. There was a new coordinator for the first 6 years! After that it appears we settled on giving guys time to show something, but there still were some bad hires. Outside of Williams I think everyone had a fairly poor history (or no history) as a DC. 

Archived