Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

I think it would be fair to say that the guys on NFL Network, guys talking about it on sports radio, fans talking about it here, etc. all really have not the faintest idea about what Cousins wants or will do.  Ultimately, all of the above need something to talk about.

Until the parties involved actually say or do something though it doesn't mean much of anything.  So basically until Schefter or from a local perspective - Keim have something to say about what Cousins intends to do, it's hard to give much credence to any of it.

The 3 year stuff was speculated from local guys for if he stayed here as for why that depended on the source it was typically either he wasn't sold enough on the organization to commit for over 3 to his agent has convinced Kirk that the guaranteed money is all that matters and that the non-guaranteed years are essentially BS because they team controls your rights and can cut bait at anytime.

I'd be surprised if that idea extended to his next team.  With the caveat on the guaranteed money.    There is some ambiguity for example, as to Kirk's agent in his role and relationship with people from this FO.  Keim for example is all over the place on it -- its good, its bad, its OK, its bad.  Though most called the relationship tense and not always that hot.  But one thing hasn't been ambiguous as to the agent -- is that the dude seems hardcore on the guaranteed money idea.  So I'd hazard a guess if its a choice between a 5 year deal where the last 2 isn't guaranteed -- they'd rather be let loose after 3 to renegotiate.

Having said that, who knows.  Don't get then angst on Kirk's demands on his next contract considering its not going to be here.  It's about to play out in days, we will see it play out in real time soon enough. 

59 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Again...backwards and upside down.   If Green Bay signs Rodgers for $ 30 million per then teams can then say the Cousins is not in the same elite level as Rodgers therefore worth less.  Everything points to Green Bay feeling the pressure.  Cousins is the driving force causing Green Bay to react.

Yep, the Cousins deal will wedge between the Jimmy G and Aaron R contracts. 

38 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I doubt 10 or 20% more would move him from the best team to a lesser team.  

He isn't leaving another 20% on the table.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The 3 year stuff was speculated from local guys for if he stayed here.

For a guy who's backed himself on one year deals, it makes sense he'd look for a 3/4 year deal now as that drops him into prime position at age ~33 for a final big contract. 

As for what was said earlier on the NFL Network on its AM program.  There are a series of different people talking on the NFL Network, just a few minutes ago on that same Network Mike Garafolo said for Kirk he believes that the team and its fit trumps money for him.  They got into a discussion on it and they thought the Vikings would be the front runner, Denver might be intriguing to him because of Elway and the Jets are the ones likely to offer the most money.  The Cardinals are the wild card. 

Like any player and any contract, I am sure money is always part of the equation.  It's just an issue of degrees.  Even the vaunted Tom Brady, the one guy giving a discount still got good money. 

I am sure if it were anyone of us - even if money wasn't our top concern, we'd still want to get paid well?  Nothing wrong with that, its the free market. 

14 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

For a guy who's backed himself on one year deals, it makes sense he'd look for a 3/4 year deal now as that drops him into prime position at age ~33 for a final big contract. 

For me...I don't know....don't care if its 3, 5 or 15.  My point is I can recall context for the 3 year contract because I recall conversation about it from our local guys. If people want to make something of it or not, its up them.  Just sharing what I recalled.

It's like does Zach Brown insist on 10 million or will he take 7 million?  no way to know until it plays out.  It's about to play out for Kirk, too.  We will see.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me...I don't know....don't care if its 3, 5 or 15.  My point is I can recall context for the 3 year contract because I recall conversation about it from our local guys. If people want to make something of it or not, its up them.  Just sharing what I recalled.

Yeah that's fair enough, I don't care either really, just adding to the discussion in how he might play his hand.

I hope everyone knows that Smith isn’t going to just waltz into Redskins Park and performed at the same level as Cousins.  There will be a learning curve between coaches knowing what plays work with him and Smith getting his timing with the receivers..etc..plus Smith will have to also learn to play without a running game which puts more pressure on him as a passer which he has never had to deal with before.  Redskins will desperately need to fix the running game for Smith to function.  Something we haven’t had since Shanahan left.  First four years in KC under Reid were just average.  Nothing spectacular and why he has the reputation as a game manager.  But still 3,300 YD, 20 TD and 7 INT years seem to be his average.  Just saying this because people who are quick to show Cousins the door just because he wants to be a FA for first time will miss him next year and the frustration will be back especially if Cousins shines in Minnesota.

It will be interesting to see how Smith and Cousins do with new teams.  If Smith is good but Cousins lights it up,  then... knowing our FO that is likely to be the scenario.  You can just chuckle at this point, best you can do.  

I wish we were so loaded with picks that we could easily afford getting Barkley.  I'm sure Bruce will find the most average back he can in RD 2 or 4.  I don't see how they didnt see Perine was running through holes you could ride a large pickup through.  Kamara in RD 2 was money,  but nope we needed a LB that will be okay but nothing you couldn't get at RD4.  

@LadySkinsFan  I could see that scenario happening actually.  Not a bad thought.  

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.@JPFinlayNBCS just asked Doug Williams about tagging Cuz: "I don't think so... I can't remember one meeting where we talked about tagging him."

He said a whole heck of a lot more in that interview as well. It is worth a listen for sure. Saying things like Colt can do many of the things Cousins can. It kind of tells you what the teams thoughts were on Cousins I guess?

http://wtkr.com/2018/02/28/skins-scoop-doug-williams-meets-media-at-nfl-combine/

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He said a whole heck of a lot more in that interview as well. It is worth a listen for sure. Saying things like Colt can do many of the things Cousins can. It kind of tells you what the teams thoughts were on Cousins I guess?

http://wtkr.com/2018/02/28/skins-scoop-doug-williams-meets-media-at-nfl-combine/

The Colt stuff though is old hat stuff, guys like Finlay have been saying that for 2 years.  The idea that they aren't tagging Kirk I believe should put that topic to rest.  

1 hour ago, XtremeFan55 said:

I hope everyone knows that Smith isn’t going to just waltz into Redskins Park and performed at the same level as Cousins.  There will be a learning curve between coaches knowing what plays work with him and Smith getting his timing with the receivers..etc..plus Smith will have to also learn to play without a running game which puts more pressure on him as a passer which he has never had to deal with before.  Redskins will desperately need to fix the running game for Smith to function.  Something we haven’t had since Shanahan left.  First four years in KC under Reid were just average.  Nothing spectacular and why he has the reputation as a game manager.  But still 3,300 YD, 20 TD and 7 INT years seem to be his average.  Just saying this because people who are quick to show Cousins the door just because he wants to be a FA for first time will miss him next year and the frustration will be back especially if Cousins shines in Minnesota.

They signed Smith to a huge franchise QB deal and guaranteed him more than 70M so of course, we should expect improvement.  The rest of the team has got to be healthier and therefore better than in 2017.  I can't remember any NFL team having as many injuries as the 2017 Redskins so I expect things to average out and they'll enjoy good health in 2018 and therefore will be improved.

The receiving corps and the running game need to improve to support Smith better than they did Kirk, but as I say even if they don't improve the personnel the team should enjoy better health in 2018 so I think they should expect to be .500 or better.  I think Philly will run away with the division again but I expect the Skins to make the playoffs.  Maybe they fall off in 2018 but I'm expecting 8-10 wins.

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Colt stuff though is old hat stuff, guys like Finlay have been saying that for 2 years.  The idea that they aren't tagging Kirk I believe should put that topic to rest.  

If we don't draft a QB I think we extend Colt another year on a low price deal. I guess he wasn't going to say much else over the Kirk position but I agree you can sense it was a case of he's free to go.

Was a good interview, nice to get some tangible quotes from someone in the organisation to mull over.

Doug Williams interview is a real confidence builder.

"On free agent linebacker Zach Brown, who led the Redskins in tackles last season: “He’s free. We made Zach an offer a long time ago and we’re waiting on Zach more than anything. We haven’t heard anything, so it’s up to them to start the negotiations.”

Sounds like Bruce Allen teed up the discussions with a classic low ball offer and the master negotiator is sitting back waiting for Zach and his agent....  Well, that worked so well with Cousins so sure go with the cold low ball and wait approach. 

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Doug Williams interview is a real confidence builder.

"On free agent linebacker Zach Brown, who led the Redskins in tackles last season: “He’s free. We made Zach an offer a long time ago and we’re waiting on Zach more than anything. We haven’t heard anything, so it’s up to them to start the negotiations.”

Sounds like Bruce Allen teed up the discussions with a classic low ball offer and the master negotiator is sitting back waiting for Zach and his agent....  Well, that worked so well with Cousins so sure go with the cold low ball and wait approach. 

Yawn. Zachs after 10mil p/y and we've tabled between 7.5 and 9...reportedly.

Seems very fair. Try not to be so negative throughout the whole of FA please :ols:

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We make plenty of mistakes, but do you really think drawing a line at top-3 money for a one-dimensional ILB is a bad call this early in FA? 

If they indeed offered Zack 7-9.5 million and Zach wants 10, I think they are playing this one well.  So I agree.

The idea though Bruce rolls often with a very low ball initial offer typically was talked about by Cooley from his own experience.   He joked about it actually and said you just got to ignore him on it -- talked about his own contract.   

Reading about how some of the minority owners aren't in love with Bruce -- coupled with unflattering comments about Bruce's negotiation approaches from people like Lombardi who worked with him -- coupled with Kirk's contract -- wonder if it all taught Bruce a lesson?

I've been at my career for over 20 years and being burned by things still is my greatest teacher.   I know some people here think Bruce played the whole Kirk contract brilliantly. And I don't feel like debating that point further, at least not tonight.  But I'll just say that at least publicly Bruce isn't lionized as some brilliant negotiator at the moment.   If he is really getting some heat from some of the minority owners -- maybe he's chilling a little with the hardball negotiation approaches?  Or maybe not?  Just a theory. :)

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We make plenty of mistakes, but do you really think drawing a line at top-3 money for a one-dimensional ILB is a bad call this early in FA? 

Not at all.

But we really have no idea what’s transpired, what’s been offered etc.

You can’t blame folks for giving pause to hearing that “they are waiting on him”.  The last time they were “waiting on him” they let a franchise QB walk for free.  We can hope that the offer they tabled is fair and Bruce isn’t playing him down to his agent, keeping the water clear for when things don’t go the way they expect.

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

We should bring Vinny’s willy nilly approach back!

well vinny did win more games.  I think he would have realized Kirk was a good QB.   It's almost comical how Bruce implied all of Minny's QBs were better than Kirk, then Minny looks like they will clear out their QB stable to get Kirk. 

Archived