Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

On 5/25/2019 at 1:58 PM, Mournblade said:

Guys I didn't watch Season 8 -- will wait for it on BR. But spoilers are all over the internet, and I happened across some scathing audience reviews

over on RT (who cares about critic reviews those guys are shills). 

I'm stunned. I'm not one of these guys who was actively rooting AGAINST GOT (like you will get in the Star Wars franchise), I was pretty indifferent to it,

although having watched the past 7 seasons, it would have been nice if it turned out good.

The thing I'm angry with is the fact that I watched the last few seasons of the TV series without having waited for the books first. The books are VASTLY better

than the TV series. TV series are just a thumbnail sketch of the books, really. In the books, GRRM gets you to care about small characters like Sam Tarly.

On the TV series, by contrast, whenever the fat oaf who plays Tarly comes on, I hit fast forward. The show gives you no reason to care about him.

Now I'm never going to be able to enjoy the reading books, even if they are masterpieces. Which they very well might be. 

Ah well. At least "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" looks great. Helps ease the pain. 

On 5/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

I thought they did as well as a job as they could have seasons 1-4 which drew from the books.   Prince Oberyn for instance, awesome in both the book and TV as portrayed by Pedro Pascal.   Although they could have included Ned's "fever dream" in S1, it may have been hard to pull that off without either confusing the audience or giving up too much.   Season 5 they started to go downhill with the major changes like Littlefinger giving Sansa to the Boltons, which was a total headscratcher for his character.   It only made sense from a writers perspective of getting Sansa out of the Vale,  because they didn't want to deal with that plot line, as it would introduce new characters, and source material was very thin (though maybe a missed opprotunity here - they could have had the Blackfish flee to the Vale and combine his plot there instead of dying stupidly like he does and having Littlefigner give Sansa to the Boltons).  Another missed opportunity was the Northern lords turning on the Bolton/Frey alliance which many book readers suspect is the case.     

After S5, it was almost train wreck after train wreck, with a few decent moments here and there. 

books 1 through 3 (corresponding to the parts of the series that you liked) were great... then books 4 and 5 fell into the crapper MUCH harder than the series did.  

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

books 1 through 3 (corresponding to the parts of the series that you liked) were great... then books 4 and 5 fell into the crapper MUCH harder than the series did.  

AFFC was objectively not very good.  Just slow and boring - way too much of Brienne wandering the wilderness.  But I thought ADWD was much better (albeit not as good as books 1-3). 

I was sad to hear that Kit Harrington to get treatment for anxiety issues after filming.  Apparently the role of Jon Snow was his first role on film/tv.  He started getting more overwhelmed as the story focused Jon in recent years.  A lot of self doubt (just like his character).  I can see a lot of parallels with Jon Snow's discomfort with becoming a leader.  "I don't want this!  I never wanted any of this!"

I really hope he is able to separate the complaints about how the final seasons went and his performance in the role.  I think he did a great job with the character.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On May 20, 2019 at 9:42 PM, Hersh said:

When will this thread die? 

My apologies Hersh, but what is dead may never die.  I will prove that by quoting my own post.

On April 22, 2019 at 3:44 PM, Nerm said:

My primary demand is that Nymeria comes out of nowhere, with a huge pack of wolves, just when it looks like Arya is hopelessly surrounded by a massive number of the NK's army.

I just read that the battle of Winterfell originally was going to contain a scene where a pack of 50 direwolves/wolves swarmed and took out the Night King's undead dragon.  But D&D decided to go another direction.  

I can see it in my mind, and it is beautiful. 😥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I just read that the battle of Winterfell originally was going to contain a scene where a pack of 50 direwolves/wolves swarmed and took out the Night King's undead dragon.  But D&D decided to go another direction.  

i'm gonna fight D&D if I see them in public, on GP

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nerm said:

My apologies Hersh, but what is dead may never die.  I will prove that by quoting my own post.

As GRRM said, you don’t show a massive pack of wolves with their alpha Nymeria if you don’t plan on using it. Chekov’s Wolfpack. 

The director also wanted to kill

Jorah and other name characters very early in the episode to increase the stakes and tension and wanted to have the NK involved in 1 on 1 combat. 

D&D overruled 

**** them 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

As GRRM said, you don’t show a massive pack of wolves with their alpha Nymeria if you don’t plan on using it. Chekov’s Wolfpack. 

The director also wanted to kill

Jorah and other name characters very early in the episode to increase the stakes and tension and wanted to have the NK involved in 1 on 1 combat. 

D&D overruled 

**** them 

Well, on the bright side, we were able to see Jon become suicidal, stand up to the dragon, and yell at him defiantly before the dragon was destroyed.  I'm surprised Jon didn't try that again after Danny was killed and Drogon looked pissed.  Worked last time!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nerm said:

Is there a source on this? If this is true I’m ****in pissed. That would have been so dope 

On June 21, 2019 at 4:41 AM, max21 said:

Is there a source on this? If this is true I’m ****in pissed. That would have been so dope 

I agree it would have been awesome.  The scene could have been epic visually. But also, the symbolism of the Starks' sigil animal killing the Targeryen sigil animal could have been used as an additional stressor for Danny that fueled her paranoia.

• Like 3

Could wolves have killed an undead dragon though?  Sounds kind of weird and unlikely.  They might have slowed it down or kept it busy so Jon could get past him though or helped Jon take it out.

Edited by visionary

9 hours ago, visionary said:

Could wolves have killed an undead dragon though?  Sounds kind of weird and unlikely.  They might have slowed it down or kept it busy so Jon could get past him though or helped Jon take it out.

weird and unlikely would have fit in just perfectly with the tone of the season

• Haha 1

They could have distracted it and been climbing all over it enough to stall until somebody like Arya or the Hound or Jaime etc stab it in the leg or something with a Valyrian steel sword 

hell have Arya ninja fly in like Jordan from the free throw line on the dragon instead of the NK 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

• 3 weeks later...