Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Midseason Superlatives

Diehard Otis

After finishing a post on this subject, I thought it would be interesting to see what people came up with on ES.  Here's a few examples of the stuff I came up with:

What I Like Most About This Team:  Their pluck.  I keep using this term because it so appropriately characterizes this Team in a single word.  Plucky.  These Redskins are definitely that.

What I Like Least About This Team:  They don’t Win Division games.  That’s the hallmark of a legitimate Contender.  Teams that challenge for The Crown are fierce in their own Division.  And that box has frustratingly been left unchecked.

Best Coach:  Greg Manusky’s done an outstanding job & I’m glad we got him.  But Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray deserves this award.  If you don’t know who that is, he is the man largely responsible for this outstanding Pass Defense.  Great job Coach!

Worst Coach:  Ike Hilliard.  This guy is The Redskins Receivers coach.  And I hate to put him out there, but The Wide Receiver Corps has gone from being a perceived Team Strength going into this season to becoming a glaring Team Weakness.

Player Who Stepped Up:  Vernon Davis.  He has filled an enormous void created by the lack of Wide Receiver production.  Time after time he’s been a Big Play producer for this squad.  He deserves this mention.

Biggest Surprise:  Matt Ionaiddis.  I didn’t think much of him coming into The Season, but this young fella is a MONSTER. WoW!  Has this guy been special, or what? 

Most Valuable Redskin: C'mon, I won't give that away.  If you're curious to see who I've got, read the post http://bit.ly/2hdf24m

Again, that's some of what I have.  What do you have?

Maybe I was a weee bit off in my first post lol..MVP all the way around..Zach Brown, Chris Thompson, Kirk Cousins, Josh Norman..worth every penny btw..Vernon Davis, best coach definitely Greg Manusky..I love this team because they don't win year in year out..even in the Superbowl days nothing was a gimmie...ya had the scabs...each super bowl win was with a different qb..Hail to the redskins hail victory braves on the warpath fight for ole dc..

11 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

I don't understand what you mean here.  Can you elaborate? (or DM me if you need to)

Dm you?...I've always wondered how everyone has got there redskins merchandise.. I imagine 80 to 90 per-cent of everyone's merchandise they have was either purchased or received as a gift just wanted to hear some wacky stories how some have got their Redskins merchandise I've got a few stories lol

1 minute ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Dm you?...I've always wondered how everyone has got there redskins merchandise.. I imagine 80 to 90 per-cent of everyone's merchandise they have was either purchased or received as a gift just wanted to hear some wacky stories how some have got their Redskins merchandise I've got a few stories lol

OOOOOOH!

Okay.  Man, you threw me there (your response was so off topic, I couldn't make heads or tails of it).

As a Diehard, anytime anyone ends up with any merchandise that says "Redskins" on it, they seek me out for gifting.  I've gotten buttons, towels, calanders, all kinds of stuff.

But I buy my own gear.  I prefer it that way.  Otherwise, someone will give me something gaudy & say "well you're a Skins fan ain'tcha?"

How's that?

51 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

OOOOOOH!

Okay.  Man, you threw me there (your response was so off topic, I couldn't make heads or tails of it).

As a Diehard, anytime anyone ends up with any merchandise that says "Redskins" on it, they seek me out for gifting.  I've gotten buttons, towels, calanders, all kinds of stuff.

But I buy my own gear.  I prefer it that way.  Otherwise, someone will give me something gaudy & say "well you're a Skins fan ain'tcha?"

How's that?

Ya it was kinda out of no where lol...ya kinda like that..I got a capital obsession plaque that has jerseys from the thirties to I think 2000 something..a guy at Sherwin-Williams gave it to me after finding it wedged in the lining of the wall of a U-Haul truck.. I traded a pizza order to somebody for the Redskins sweater right off their back..it was just like a t shirt I had in Jr high I absolutely loved..

Coaching is a tough one, but mainly because of the D side. Allen as a rookie, Ionaiddis getting his first real playing opportunity, and others have made a huge jump. Gray has got the secondary playing and not just the guys who should, but low round draft picks too. Manusky is clearly doing his job too. The communication is solid and the players know how to execute it. On the O side, getting your third string o line to stand up is a pretty heady achievement even if their heads are barely above water.

As for individual players, we've seen a bunch of guys who deserve praise... Preston Smith has made a good recovery in his third year, Breeland has bounced back from last year, Thompson has became a star, Scherff was really becoming a force. At the same time, there are players who have let us down. Reed and Crowder (as a receiver, but even more on punt returns). Now, some of that is about injuries, but they have not really been effective. Others have been mentioned already and more deserve recognition.

For a 4-4 team, there's a lot to be pleased with.

Coach: Jim Tomsula (Not going obvious with Manusky, although I do think he's done quite well). Tomsula has made chicken salad from chicken ****.

Defensive MVP: Zach Brown

Defensive MIP: Matt Ion

Offensive MVP: Chris Thompson

Offensive MIP: Ryan Grant

Rookie of the Year: Montae Nicholson (J. Allen was a runaway, but with him out for awhile, this passes to Nicholson for the time being)

Biggest Disappointment: Junior Gallette/Terrelle Pryor (Keep in mind, I'm not writing Gallette off yet. He's been out of football for two years).

Who from Last Year's Team I Miss the Most: Pierre Garcon.

Coach: Callahan for keeping the line competitive every week.

Defensive MVP: DJ Swearinger

Defensive MIP: Quentin Dunbar

Offensive MVP: Kirk Cousins

Offensive MIP: Chris Thompson

Rookie of the Year: Chase Roullier (talk about exceeding expectations)

Biggest Disappointment: Crowder 

Who from Last Year's Team I Miss the Most: McVay

Coach: On defense I pick Coach Manusky and for offense Coach Callahan  

Defensive MVP: DJ Swearinger

Defensive MIP: Quentin Dunbar

Offensive MVP: Kirk Cousins

Offensive MIP: Chris Thompson

Rookie of the Year: wait till the end of the year on this one

Biggest Disappointment: Murphy not playing this year on defense

Who from Last Year's Team I Miss the Most: Pierre Garcon

The defensive staff as a whole deserve great amount of credit. It’s been an enjoyable watch seeing Greg and staff deploy different schemes throughout the season.

The offense as a whole has been below average and a major disappointment. Though, Kirk has been a steadying force for the unit. 

The roles have reversed from last year, the defense is now above average with potential to grow and offense below average to average. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Eh, he also was set to serve a 4 game suspension for PEDs.  PEDs that coincided with his emergence.  That was his choice.

Oh I get it.  It's digging pretty deep to use him as a disappointment when there are plenty playing on the field.  No right or wrong answer, each to their own.

21 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Oh I get it.  It's digging pretty deep to use him as a disappointment when there are plenty playing on the field.  No right or wrong answer, each to their own.

Oh, I'd agree on the digging deep part.  I just assumed for whatever reason veteranskinsfan was a big Murphy fan. 

Personally, my biggest disappointment on the defensive side of the ball are the Allen/Ioannidis injuries. 

Archived