Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TMZ: NCAA COACHES, ADIDAS HONCHO CHARGED IN FBI CORRUPTION STING ALLEGEDLY PAID $$$ TO PLAYERS

AsburySkinsFan

5 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This is day 1

This is an FBI investigation, multiple people arrested.

We’re well beyond stripping titles and vacating wins. 

I'm well aware that this is an FBI investigation.  And it's not "well beyond" stripping titles and vacating wins.  The assistant coaches involved will get punished, maybe even face jail time, but nobody has ever heard of those guys before so who cares?.  The programs will face penalties in the form of vacating wins and losses of scholarships.  Maybe a few head coaches will have to step down, depending on their win/loss record over the past few years, their popularity, and whether or not their program was already a known rule-breaker (Pitino).  Penn State football went though something far worse like 5 years ago, and they are back to being a top 5 program.  What do you think is going to happen here?  

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Why is an Adidas rep paying a kid to go to an Adidas sponsored school necessarily illegal?

I can't find that actual complaint filed in court, but presumably it is illegal for a state-employee (which coaches at state universities are) to accept a bribe to do their job in a certain way, or to accept money in exchange for using the influence they have by virtue of their government job. 

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Why is an Adidas rep paying a kid to go to an Adidas sponsored school necessarily illegal?

No lawyer here, just speculation....but could there be terms in their contract with the school that prohibits them from steering top players to a school where they will get free advertising during said players college career?  Sure, the shoe deal is with the school, so all the players wear that brand.  But I can imagine when you get top players to a school you have a shoe contract with, it helps with sales/advertising.  

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No lawyer here, just speculation....but could there be terms in their contract with the school that prohibits them from steering top players to a school where they will get free advertising during said players college career?  Sure, the shoe deal is with the school, so all the players wear that brand.  But I can imagine when you get top players to a school you have a shoe contract with, it helps with sales/advertising.  

High schools even have contracts with Adidas and Nike, I wonder if this shakes that up.

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What do you think is going to happen here?  

Not sure, what’s obvious is that this was a big investigation that covered multiple schools. This isn’t just another “Oops head coach breaks NCAA rules.” These are real arrests. Penn State was about in house sins and cover ups. The fact that the NCAA was not involved with this investigation is telling as well. I want to see what all is involved. 

Just now, justice98 said:

Im all for paying the kids, I've yet to hear a model that would work and not change college athletics for the worse.

The model is the academy system in soccer. Start there.

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

High schools even have contracts with Adidas and Nike, I wonder if this shakes that up.

It very well could.  But at that level, I wouldn't think they would be gaining a lot of advertising/revenue since the games aren't televised.  Unless they are using it to build relationships for future shady practices (like in the article). 

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Not sure, what’s obvious is that this was a big investigation that covered multiple schools. This isn’t just another “Oops head coach breaks NCAA rules.” These are real arrests. Penn State was about in house sins and cover ups. The fact that the NCAA was not involved with this investigation is telling as well. I want to see what all is involved. 

WTF?  One of Penn State's assistant coaches raped a teenaged boy in the Penn State football program's shower and was effectively given a life sentence.  He was indicted on 40 other counts of sex crimes against young boys.  Was that not a real arrest?  And then there was also the cover up of, again, a long-standing pattern of sexual assault by a coach.  

Here, the FBI finally caught a handful of programs doing what everyone knows goes on all the time.  This is approximately on the level of the Nevin Shapiro stuff at Miami.  

Somewhere, John Calipari is saying "thank God I deal with Nike."

26 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Christ.

I guess this shows the low esteem we hold for college athletics, that coaches at major universities are getting arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and posters here are arguing "Meh, no big deal."

Haha, it's funny because its true. :)

Just to level set though, the bar was not set at "is this a big deal."  It was set at "this could end up as the biggest college sports story of our lifetime."  (See 3rd post).  I think this is a big-ish deal, i guess, kinda.  I absolutely do not think it is anywhere close to the latter standard.  

24 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Christ.

I guess this shows the low esteem we hold for college athletics, that coaches at major universities are getting arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and posters here are arguing "Meh, no big deal."

It's not that it's no big deal. It's just that it's no surprise. If you leave the puppy home alone with no toys, don't be surprised if he chews up the furniture.

Archived