Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Is anyone actually excited for this Redskins season?

actorguy1

It was opening day and I didn't even care that my buddy had the Ravens game on much more in the first half because we were at his place. It didn't even really phase me besides making sure we were strategic about switching the channel.

It was a couple slow, anxious hours before the game but mildly so so I guess some of the old fanatic is still in there,

I used to attend EVERY home opener going back to like 1999 but that all stopped about 3-4 seasons ago. Despite the fact that the Skins were jobbed a couple crucial times by the refs in the second half, I really didn't even care much. Week One.

I guess my interest and unwavering die-hard loyalty has been in the hospital for awhile. Sad but that's my reality right now.

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

It's kind of semantics in a way anyhow. I said the Redskins said they were not interested in a trade

On the Bruce offer thing, again you are addressing something that is not at all what I was saying.

I really have no interest in whether I am disagreeing with you or not. My point, as it's been for months, is that Allen clearly mishandled the Cousins situation by not making a real effort to sign him, while not being willing to even listen to trade offers. This is going to cost the team a lot in the long term and the reason for it seems pretty clearly to be that he didn't want to make a decision he would have to accountable for, rather he tried to play it all in a way that he could deflect blame from himself. Plenty of the posts on this board, and the way a lot of people here talk about the situation make it clear that his strategy is working to a significant degree. 

In the context of this thread, this makes me a lot less excited for the team now and in the near future. That's what responses are about, not arguing with you or anyone else.

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

First, I find it interesting you are willing to just ignore the people in the room with no incentive to make it up (Gruden and Brown were asked after the draft, not before), but you are willing to go to the bank with a reporter who's main job to is to sell clicks and as such they all (not just Shefter, Rappaport and Mortensen were caught in flat out fabrications) tend to at least stretch the truth. I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. I will never believe the media over the people in the room - ever. 

Seriously? GMs and Coaches have every reason to lie about trade and contract issues. As a rule, I never assume any of them are telling the truth. I find their comments literally worthless. That's not an insult. They would be dumb to tell the truth. It's essentially their job. You don't divulge whether you're interested in trading someone, what trade talks you've had, your interest in signing a player, etc. That should be obvious.

Schefter isn't a blogger. He's a reporter who has a history of breaking stories. He has sources in front offices. His career depends on him maintaining credibility. So yeah, I believe he tells the truth I am not one of these people who decide everything a reporter says is a lie. That's lazy nonsense. And, if I did, am I to believe Schefter lied to lead people to believe there was no story? Because that would help his career? Is that supposed to make sense? I'll take the explanation that is logical, thanks.

And I was using Schefter as one example of the multiple reports that the Redskins wouldn't listen to trade offers.

10 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I was asking what you thought a good offer would be. I never even suggested that was someone's offer or would be. It was a direct question to you on what you thought a good offer would be. Maybe I wasn't clear enough so I will take the hit there. But hopefully you understand where I was going better now.

Not even going to get into that now. It has nothing to do with the discussion at hand and would just distract.

On the Bruce offer thing, again you are addressing something that is not at all what I was saying. I never even came close to saying Bruce though the first offer was a good one. I said he thought he could sign Kirk. There is a big difference. Of course the first offer was low. That's the way negotiations work. I believe he expected Kirk to counter and after some back and forth they would find common ground.

The offer was so terrible he had no reason to expect a counter offer. People keep wanting to talk about this as if it's analogous to offering 90,000 for a 100,000 house and waiting on a counter. In reality, the analogy is more that the seller can wait a year and get 150,000 and maybe a good deal more, and the Redskins offered about 75,000. You don't offer an insulting offer and then get offended that your counterpart didn't waste his time answering.

Ian Rappaport reported the redskins promised a second offer, waited a couple of months and then made the same offer again. Of course, I'm sure people will decide that he must have made that up. Because that's all reporters do.

I think the one place we can agree, is the Bruce ****ed this up, royally. As for the intent vs. incompetence - maybe it's semantics but I think it was just poorly miscalculated. I guess you could call that incompetence, but that implies inability. Bruce is not stupid and is capable. So I think he just misread the situation - poorly.

1) Contracts are  Allen's supposed specialty. There is no way he think that is an offer that gets anywhere near done. He had to know Cousins would view it as a joke at best.

2) Even if he expected a counter-offer, once he didn't get one he should have made a more reasonable second offer. That's what you do if you are actually maing an effort to sign a player.

3) Either way, you find out whether or not you can get a guy signed before the time you can get a good trade offer runs out.

4) You have an unsigned starting QB you don't know if you're going to re-sign, you at least answer the phone and find out what people are offering for him.

5) You don't put out a statement to the public basically telling everyone the QB is greedy and not willing to do a deal unless  you're trying to hurt your relationship with him, and turn the fans against him. That can't do anything but damage your chances of signing him down the road.

Now, Bruce may be a terrible GM, but don't tell me he can't figure the above things out just as well as a message board nitwit like me can. The guy has worked in NFL front offices all his life. He's not a complete moron. None of this fits an exec just making a little whoopsie. What it does all fit is a guy who's only interested in the PR angle of the whole situation.

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I do still believe he can get out of this by biting the bullet and signing Kirk next off season to what will be a monster deal. 

Which will be for a lot more than he could have signed him for this year. Which will be a huge amount of cap space we won't have. Because Allen decided not to try to sign him now.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Now, Bruce may be a terrible GM, but don't tell me he can't figure the above things out just as well as a message board nitwit like me can. The guy has worked in NFL front offices all his life. He's not a complete moron. None of this fits an exec just making a little whoopsie. What it does all fit is a guy who's only interested in the PR angle of the whole situation.

Bruce is about that new stadium life and brow-nosing politicians to rip off taxpayers and save Danny boy some dollars. 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Be safe bro 

Oh, my family evacuated from Miami, but we don't know what to expect when they get back, and there are a lot of other people i knew living there, including a friend of my dads we used to go fishing with in the Keys. Im just trying to think positively

On 9/8/2017 at 3:01 PM, actorguy1 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/09/08/is-anyone-actually-excited-for-this-redskins-season/

I have felt 10-6 since the spring, and a crummy summer has not dampend that feeling. I have noticed so much negativity. I am aware of the drama but I do not think it will affect the product on the field. Am I alone? Feels like it sometimes. 

This fan base have been put under a wall of negativity from the media.. Every outlet from the two main Radio Stations to the Print Media and of course the Social media warriors...

From Chris Russell to Mike Jones, to Grant Paulsen, the disdain for the front office, the owner, and often the fans is unprecedented.

National Media have personal agendas.. PFT is an absolute joke, he's had a beef with Washington for years.  Don't even get me started about Bleacher Report.

Finally the Junkies pregame show was like listening to Debbie Downer meets Negative Nellie. It's no wonder this fan base isn't optimistic.

You would think that the media who makes a ton of money off of this team and it's fans, would have more respect for the effort made, and the devotion shown

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank you so so much for this laugh. Seriously. I just got power after Irma and it's been a very trying week. I needed to read something this absurd. 

I couldn't care less if you think what I write is absurd. You want to whine and moan about this team all day, knock yourself out.

I'm not telling how to think.

6 hours ago, worldpost said:

This fan base have been put under a wall of negativity from the media.. Every outlet from the two main Radio Stations to the Print Media and of course the Social media warriors...

From Chris Russell to Mike Jones, to Grant Paulsen, the disdain for the front office, the owner, and often the fans is unprecedented.

National Media have personal agendas.. PFT is an absolute joke, he's had a beef with Washington for years.  Don't even get me started about Bleacher Report.

Finally the Junkies pregame show was like listening to Debbie Downer meets Negative Nellie. It's no wonder this fan base isn't optimistic.

You would think that the media who makes a ton of money off of this team and it's fans, would have more respect for the effort made, and the devotion shown

Thanks for this.  I've been looking around all night long for who to blame and it finally set in - the media.  Those ****s conjuring up all this negative energy cost us the game!

Stadium was dead yesterday.  Lowest amount of enthusiasm from Skins fans I've ever seen at a home opener.  This was a tight game up until about 6 minutes left and that made no difference whatsoever.  Skins fans seemed resigned to another loss.

On the opposing side, Eagles fans were really excited for the game.  Both before and during.

1 hour ago, LightningBuggs said:

Stadium was dead yesterday.  Lowest amount of enthusiasm from Skins fans I've ever seen at a home opener.  This was a tight game up until about 6 minutes left and that made no difference whatsoever.  Skins fans seemed resigned to another loss.

On the opposing side, Eagles fans were really excited for the game.  Both before and during.

Eagles are on the upswing. We're hovering at .500. We win when teams let us. We might actually "beat" 2 or 3 teams this year, while the Eagles will just keep improving. Most of our talent is on OYDs and our GM is cheap AF. Our ride is over.

I noticed watching that there were a lot of empty seats after the 1rst Q. I thought that was strange. Might have been the timing or something.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

I couldn't care less if you think what I write is absurd. You want to whine and moan about this team all day, knock yourself out.

I'm not telling how to think.

Yeah, Redskins are just like the Patriots. :rofl89: It's still funny. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, Redskins are just like the Patriots. :rofl89: It's still funny. Thank you.

Re-read  my post, genius. Apparently, reading is not one of your strong suits.

I said I WASN'T putting them in the same boat. I was merely pointing out that crazy things usually happen in week 1. The Patriots aren't as bad as they showed Thursday night. The Redskins aren't going to turn the ball over four times every game.

If you want to come after me because I'm not as much of a whiny negative nancy as you are in your posts, then fine. Come after me. But at least do it on things I actually said, and don't make **** up.

11 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

I didn't pay a ton of attention but on TV it looked to the be the usual 60/40 split we're accustomed to seeing.  At one point, I was in the kitchen while the refs were huddled up, and I heard the crowd pop thinking their decision must have been in our favor.  But no, it was for the Eagles.  Literally sounded like they were at the Linc.

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Re-read  my post, genius. Apparently, reading is not one of your strong suits.

I said I WASN'T putting them in the same boat. I was merely pointing out that crazy things usually happen in week 1. The Patriots aren't as bad as they showed Thursday night. The Redskins aren't going to turn the ball over four times every game.

If you want to come after me because I'm not as much of a whiny negative nancy as you are in your posts, then fine. Come after me. But at least do it on things I actually said, and don't make **** up.

Slow down there tiger. I'm not coming after you and I'm not trying to insult you.

I did read your post. A couple times. I know what you said.

The Patriots are a SB contender that had a bad game. The Redskins are a top draft pick contender and also had a bad game. Other than both playing poorly in game one, there is absolutely nothing comparable between the two. It's a ridiculous stretch and I find it hysterical that someone would even attempt to make it.  

13 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

I disagree.

If you go over to CSN and see where they put up video of some of the positive things that did happen in the game (such as Kerrigan's pick-6, Thompson's wonderful spin-move TD), the crowd was LOUD.

I don't know how loud they were in your section, but on TV, the stadium was loud.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@SkinsGuy I must give you credit, your homerism does not waiver.  You are unflappable.  No matter what **** sandwich they feed you, you'll find a reason to say that it tastes pretty good.  All the homers have left you on homer island all by yourself, yet here you are hailing by your lonesome.

Respect.

Haven't checked on PP yet today, but I was seeing sad posts from Cooleyfan93. I mean, that's just heartbreaking if that kid has turned.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Slow down there tiger. I'm not coming after you and I'm not trying to insult you.

This old routine. :rolleyes: You attack me in my posts, mis-label what I wrote, then try to act like I'm hysterical and need to relax. I'm plenty calm. It's you negative types that are freaking out this morning. 

I did read your post. A couple times. I know what you said.

The Patriots are a SB contender that had a bad game. The Redskins are a top draft pick contender and also had a bad game. Other than both playing poorly in game one, there is absolutely nothing comparable between the two. It's a ridiculous stretch and I find it hysterical that someone would even attempt to make it.  [/quote]

Obviously, you can read, but comprehension isn't your strong suit. 

As I said, I wasn't comparing the two teams. I was talking about the "craziness" of week 1, and how it affects all games. You can't say what a team is based on week 1.

As I said, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I couldn't care less what you think. Just don't lie about what I write.

6 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I disagree.

If you go over to CSN and see where they put up video of some of the positive things that did happen in the game (such as Kerrigan's pick-6, Thompson's wonderful spin-move TD), the crowd was LOUD.

I don't know how loud they were in your section, but on TV, the stadium was loud.

I don't need to watch a CSN video replay.  I was there.

Yes, it was loud on 2 plays.  That's it.  

In the 2nd half, the place sounded like a morgue except when Philly made a play.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@SkinsGuy I must give you credit, your homerism does not waiver.  You are unflappable.  No matter what **** sandwich they feed you, you'll find a reason to say that it tastes pretty good.  All the homers have left you on homer island all by yourself, yet here you are hailing by your lonesome.

Respect.

I don't think the conversation I was having is any of your business, but if you want to get involved.

It isn't homerism. I'm just NOT a fair-weather fan. I"m not going to throw in the towel and give up on the team after one week.

As former GM Scott said in his recent interview, football seasons are marathons. Not sprints.

The race has just begun.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't think the conversation I was having is any of your business, but if you want to get involved.

It isn't homerism. I'm just NOT a fair-weather fan. I"m not going to throw in the towel and give up on the team after one week.

As former GM Scott said in his recent interview, football seasons are marathons. Not sprints.

The race has just begun.

If you want to have private conversations there is a messaging system here.

I was actually referring to all of your posts though, not just the ones with KB.  While yes, I was being a smartass...I do give you credit for going down with the ship no matter how many holes are in it.

Archived