Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

If you’re dead-set on RB in the 1st right 2nd and you go into the draft with the mindset you have to go DL-RB with the first two picks, you have to trade down. The value isn’t there at 13. 

If James is there at 13 you take him then get the best RB in the 2nd. If anything yesterday to me solidified that in the 2nd we will have a shot at a good one in Chubb or Penny even if a big run occurs in the early 2nd and the top 5 are off the board. 

Anyone else hate the combine effect or just me? It makes some people forget about tape and fall in love with a player just because they are fast or they didnt do as well as they should. I guess that is why people get fired every year in the NFL due to that same logic. 

Sheldon Richardson, Jonathan Cooper, Albert Wilson, cheap vet CB. 

Draft S James and RB Chubb/Penny and then go NT in 4th-6th

2 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Anyone else hate the combine effect or just me? It makes some people forget about tape and fall in love with a player just because they are fast or they didnt do as well as they should. I guess that is why people get fired every year in the NFL due to that same logic. 

Yeah I agree with this. For me it just solidifies suspicions. Like Penny being fast and a legit target to match his tape

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Browns have a strong OL. If they get a QB in free agency, Barkley at #1 and Nelson at #4 would be a great haul. However, I'm not sure they have an immediate need with Nelson after their FA pick up last year. 

Just listening to O'hara (ex Giant line) talking to Mayock and they feel Giants are going Nelson even if Barkley is there.  I find that hard to believe but Shurmur knows their line really sucks and no RB can be successful behind it.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think with Guice and RBs like that the strength that you see in their running comes much more from lower body strength, explosion, and leverage than it does upper body bench press strength. How often would an RB really use his pectoral muscles besides holding onto the ball? Maybe a stiff arm but even that probably not too much. The weight issue is valid but I think guys who are a bit lower weight (though 212 is still not light weight) much of their power would still come from explosion, leverage, and balance.

You know, that makes to much sense ? . Thx 

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just listening to O'hara (ex Giant line) talking to Mayock and they feel Giants are going Nelson even if Barkley is there.  I find that hard to believe but Shurmur knows their line really sucks and no RB can be successful behind it.

Giants new GM signed Norwell off the street for the Panthers. I wonder if they target him for LG in free agency. If they don't, and still have a major need at LG heading into the draft, Nelson would be a great choice for them. The indication will be clear off what they do in FA I'd say.

Unless they go QB of course :ols:

Curious about Grudens statement about being agressive in the draft. Does he mean if we nail FA, we can go pure BPA, does,he mean we can jump up for a top end prospect, maybe we consider jumping back into the first again. Apparently we tried to last year for Foster, which thankfully failed.....

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Yep. I agree with most of this. The one thing the combine does though is shows how guys perform under pressure. Yesterday you had backs turning the wrong way and making mental mistakes in drills. All of that stuff matters. But as far as the 40 times go they really dont mean much. I mean something like Walton running mid 4.6 was surprising to me. I had him as a 4.5 guy on tape. And he is going to make his money as a third down guy so the slower speed could be an issue for him. 

But generally I agree with what you say. It is all for show.

57 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Giants new GM signed Norwell off the street for the Panthers. I wonder if they target him for LG in free agency. If they don't, and still have a major need at LG heading into the draft, Nelson would be a great choice for them. The indication will be clear off what they do in FA I'd say.

Unless they go QB of course :ols:

I kind of think they have to go QB dont they? I mean it is not normal for the Giants to be sitting at the top of the draft board. It just never happens. Eli is aging and they have a chance to at least draft one of the best prospects at the position this year. I just pray to god they dont draft Barkley. It would just suck having Elliott and Barkley in our division.

23 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

FWIW, source I know with team said their defensive board is 

1 Tremaine Edmunds

2 Roquan Smith

3 Vita Vea

Take that for what you will! 

I am doing tape on LB's right now and Edmunds is impressive for sure. I am not sure I like him more than Smith. I think Edmunds is a better pass rusher. But Smith is WAY better in space. I will have my rankings out soon. possibly tomorrow.

46 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

FWIW, source I know with team said their defensive board is 

1 Tremaine Edmunds

2 Roquan Smith

3 Vita Vea

Take that for what you will! 

Not sure what you got, but that would certainly make sense.

They'll slant heavily to BPA.......down the middle of the defense. 

43 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

So why not just get DJ Moore with number 13 now eh? Been banging the table and now other teams are going to fall in love with my man crush. No fair! 

Yeah for a guy who has Garcon qualities with the ball in his hand, tough dude, combine that with speed.  Very enticing. 

It's an odd draft from my point of view as for the Redskins because the sweet spot for receiver and running back looks to be late first, early 2nd.  Guys like Kirk, Moore, Guice, Michel, Jones, etc likely sometime before our 2nd round pick.  Keim hits that here as to RB.  So what do we do, try to trade down?  Tough to trade up in the 2nd without the third rounder.   Obviously, there could be an enticing player that falls to 13.  A lot of potential permutations this time IMO.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35785/is-bruce-allens-seat-hot-his-record-suggests-it-should-be

Keim: Most of the time I think they’d work through the draft just because it would enable them to spend elsewhere -- and it’s a deep draft at running back. They’re well aware of that.

But there are intriguing free agent options. I’ve dropped his name before, but I know how much they like Isaiah Crowell, a guy who can help in the pass game as well. Jay Gruden mentioned wanting a "banger." Crowell runs with good power and has some explosiveness. I don’t know if they’ll pursue him -- would they want to spend, say, $5 million per year to sign him? He's available and would help, but with a good running back group in the draft, the question comes down to cost. And there's another twist in there: picking a running back at 13 would be too high (Saquon Barkley will be long gone), but there could be a run on backs before they pick again in the second round.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Michigan DT Maurice Hurst, projected as a potential first-round pick, was diagnosed today with a heart condition, league sources told ESPN. Hurst will not go through combine drills and will undergo further testing this week.

From Finlay:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/news-notes-and-observations-3-days-nfl-scouting-combine?utm_content=buffer00326&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• The team walked away very impressed with LSU RB Derrius Guice, a projected first-round pick. There are other RBs that will be available later in the draft the organization liked too, and RB help could happen in free agency too. 
  • The Redskins really like Iowa CB Josh Jackson. The kid made plays in college and could step in Day 1 and help Washington. He will be a first round pick.
  • Two different Redskins defensive coaches told me their excitement to watch Washington NT Vita Vea work out. A mountain of a man with surprising athleticism, Vea is very much on the 'Skins radar. 
  • Another defensive player the Redskins liked: Iowa LB Josey Jewell. He's a tackling machine that can help if the team doesn't bring back Zach Brown. Probably a Friday night pick, but if he lasts until Saturday, Washington might be in luck. 
  •  
  • ...The Redskins might want to draft a QB, and the team definitely likes Richmond Spider Kyle Lauletta. I think the price tag will be too much for Washington, however, especially without a third round pick. A late round QB, similar to the Nate Sudfeldselection a few years back, could make sense. 
11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Would you all trade out of #13 for Buffalo's #21 and #22?  Even if guys like Vea and Smith are there at #13?

I would in a heartbeat.  But is that the value?  That seems to favor us.  Rumor is Buffalo is trying to trade up above us into the top 10 maybe even top 5.  If so, we'd have to hope to get lucky and they can't strike a deal and a QB falls to 13.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I would...as long as one of those picks would get me DJ Moore.

with this type of athleticism, wonder if he's a late first rounder now

Top 3 performers in broad jump among #NFLCombine WRs 1. D.J. Moore, @TerpsFootball, 11 feet 2t. Dylan Cantrell, @TexasTechFB, 10-10 2t. Tre'Quan Smith, @UCF_Football, 10-10

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would in a heartbeat.  But is that the value?  That seems to favor us.  Rumor is Buffalo is trying to trade up above us into the top 10 maybe even top 5.  If so, we'd have to hope to get lucky and they can't strike a deal and a QB falls to 13.

Just hypothesizing about maybe if one of the QB's they want drops to #13.  The draft charge shows 1150 to 1350 so yea, favors Skins.

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just hypothesizing about maybe if one of the QB's they want drops to #13.  The draft charge shows 1150 to 1350 so yea, favors Skins.

the irony though I take the source with a grain of salt

Per @DraftCampbell the Redskins are aiming to trade down in the first round. Possible trading partners include Bills and Cardinals -

Sources with the Redskins think they are in a good position to trade down in the first round. They also like a group of running backs in the second round http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress 

Archived