Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Sua Cravens won the starting SS job with the Redskins.  I agree he's a head-case but a sixth round pick?  I would keep him on the team and have him play SS through the end of his contract.  Some fans want the Skins to draft a safety with the first round pick.  Keeping Sua Cravens eliminates the need and Skins can devote the first round pick on other positions of value and need. 

He didn't win it, when he went from presumptive starter to it being a competition he left the team.  Also, DJ Swearinger is our SS.  It's not a need position.

It's funny on NFL live they were talking about RB sleepers and mentioned Guice, Jones and Michel.  I don't think anybody sees them as sleepers...LOL

Someone, might have been McShay talked about Mark Walton from Miami is his sleeper.  He was injured so not as much tape but expected to be there in mid rounds.

With the way the line seems blown up (mostly on the TEs off the edges) on key running plays -- maybe Penny is the guy for this team and he returns kicks. :)

Austin Gayle @AustinGayle_PFF
FollowFollow @AustinGayle_PFF
More

#PennState RB Saquon Barkley averaged 0.46 yards per carry when contacted at or behind the LOS last season, ranking No. 57 among draft-eligible RBs with 100-plus attempts. #SDSU's Rashaad Penny averaged a class-high 3.32 YPC on such runs.

DXOvuqTXUAAew1l.jpg

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Get the feeling RB is going to be the position teams jump on early this year. Think we need to pick one no later than our second rounder if we really want a top tier rookie.

I think we pass. We let the other teams make a run at the RB and QB position and we profit. Better players will be available for us then. We are just firing up the market. 

I have finished tape n Safeties. Sorry about the delay. Been crazy at work. As always my rankings are based purely on tape. No off field issues are taken into account for my rankings. I will be starting tape on LB's this weekend and should have those rankings out next week. I am almost done and will only have D Line left after that. Here are my top ten safeties:

1) Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama... So tough for me to choose between Minkah and James as my number one safety in this draft. I think Fitzpatrick has better cover skills right now. They both have great speed. And I think James is the better natural athlete. But I think the FS position is harder to play than SS so Fitzpatrick gets my vote. Excellent speed and coverage skills. Good ball skills. He can play nickle corner as well and plays very well in the slot as well as in space. Decent tackler, wont lay the lumber often but can stop people effectively. Probably the best gunner on special teams in this draft, (Top ten pick)

2) Derwin James, Florida.....NASTY. Will light you up and do it with a smile on his face. Incredible athlete. Great closing speed, coverage ability and ball skills. May have more upside than Fitzpatrick but does not cover as well in space. Can be moved to inside Linebacker for splash plays as well. Great vocal leader on the field. I hope he is there at 13. (Top 10 pick)

3) Quin Blanding, Virginia...Not much talk about Blanding so far. But I bet that changes as we get closer to the draft. GREAT instinct. Decent athlete. Will hit you and you will know it. Great size will be a dominate in the box safety (Round 2)

4)Justin Reid, Stanford....Excellent all around skill set. Excellent athlete. Seemed slow to me at times on tape. But shows good recovery speed. Great ball skills and will make the flash INT. (Round 2)

5) DeShon Elliott, Texas.. GREAT ball skills and instincts. Will blow you up! Legit size and strength. Lacks ideal speed on tape. Many project his as a FS. I would be lining him up in the box. (Round 2/3)

6) Armani Watts, Texas A&M. Good instincts and ball skill. Lacks ideal speed and struggles in man coverage. But makes splash plays (Round 3/4)

7) Jessie Bates, Wake Forest...Has all of the skills to be a playmaker in the NFL. Needs to work in the weight room and bulk up a little bit. Not a great tackler. (Round 3/4)

8) Ronnie Harrison, Alabama....HUGE safety. Makes big plays. But benefited from  A LOT of talent on the field around him. Lacks ideal speed and gets beat deep on occassion. (Round 3/4)

9) Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh...Splash plays and tackling ability. Lacks ideal speed and size. Had a suspension. (Round 4/5)

10) Marcus Allen,  WE ARE PENN STATE...Good tackler and good instincts. Excellent size. Lacks ideal speed and coverage skills. May bulk up and play LB in the NFL? (Round 4/5)

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It's funny on NFL live they were talking about RB sleepers and mentioned Guice, Jones and Michel.  I don't think anybody sees them as sleepers...LOL

Someone, might have been McShay talked about Mark Walton from Miami is his sleeper.  He was injured so not as much tape but expected to be there in mid rounds.

To me besides Barkley -- Guice, Jones and Michel seem to scream stars in the league.  I'd be ecstatic if they ended up with any one of them.  My favorites in that mix change by day.  Today, I think its Michel.  He almost averaged 8 yards per carry.  Really good pass blocker.  Has good hands even though he didn't catch much at Georgia.   He has that breakaway speed. 

If the first round is out for a RB -- I'd trade down.  I'd guess they are all gone by the 13th pick in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Get the feeling RB is going to be the position teams jump on early this year. Think we need to pick one no later than our second rounder if we really want a top tier rookie.

Well we don't have a 3rd so that fits I suppose.  We can argue Alvin Kamara's draft value was the 2nd and he fell to the 3rd, so it's a little hard to say Sony Michel should be taken with a 3rd (if we trade back and gain that pick).  But Michel has a lot of qualities similar to Kamara, just not quite as hard to bring down.  I think, on the right team, Michel could be fun.  Is that us though?  And do we want to spend pick #44 (or whatever it is) on a RB?

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

And do we want to spend pick #44 (or whatever it is) on a RB?

That's where I'm at. If we can nail FA, great, as Gruden said we can be more aggressive in the draft. We do need a major upgrade at RB though.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I have finished tape n Safeties. Sorry about the delay. Been crazy at work. As always my rankings are based purely on tape. No off field issues are taken into account for my rankings. I will be starting tape on LB's this weekend and should have those rankings out next week. I am almost done and will only have D Line left after that. Here are my top ten safeties:

1) Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama... So tough for me to choose between Minkah and James as my number one safety in this draft. I think Fitzpatrick has better cover skills right now. They both have great speed. And I think James is the better natural athlete. But I think the FS position is harder to play than SS so Fitzpatrick gets my vote. Excellent speed and coverage skills. Good ball skills. He can play nickle corner as well and plays very well in the slot as well as in space. Decent tackler, wont lay the lumber often but can stop people effectively. Probably the best gunner on special teams in this draft, (Top ten pick)

2) Derwin James, Florida.....NASTY. Will light you up and do it with a smile on his face. Incredible athlete. Great closing speed, coverage ability and ball skills. May have more upside than Fitzpatrick but does not cover as well in space. Can be moved to inside Linebacker for splash plays as well. Great vocal leader on the field. I hope he is there at 13. (Top 10 pick)

3) Quin Blanding, Virginia...Not much talk about Blanding so far. But I bet that changes as we get closer to the draft. GREAT instinct. Decent athlete. Will hit you and you will know it. Great size will be a dominate in the box safety (Round 2)

4)Justin Reid, Stanford....Excellent all around skill set. Excellent athlete. Seemed slow to me at times on tape. But shows good recovery speed. Great ball skills and will make the flash INT. (Round 2)

5) DeShon Elliott, Texas.. GREAT ball skills and instincts. Will blow you up! Legit size and strength. Lacks ideal speed on tape. Many project his as a FS. I would be lining him up in the box. (Round 2/3)

6) Armani Watts, Texas A&M. Good instincts and ball skill. Lacks ideal speed and struggles in man coverage. But makes splash plays (Round 3/4)

7) Jessie Bates, Wake Forest...Has all of the skills to be a playmaker in the NFL. Needs to work in the weight room and bulk up a little bit. Not a great tackler. (Round 3/4)

8) Ronnie Harrison, Alabama....HUGE safety. Makes big plays. But benefited from  A LOT of talent on the field around him. Lacks ideal speed and gets beat deep on occassion. (Round 3/4)

9) Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh...Splash plays and tackling ability. Lacks ideal speed and size. Had a suspension. (Round 4/5)

10) Marcus Allen,  WE ARE PENN STATE...Good tackler and good instincts. Excellent size. Lacks ideal speed and coverage skills. May bulk up and play LB in the NFL? (Round 4/5)

Need to look at some of these later safeties.  But from what I'm seeing, it's a mistake to compare Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James.  A lot of the adjectives used to describe Derwin were true from his Freshman season...but then that didn't appear on tape this past season.  I don't think Derwin is 100%.  Derwin last season, was no longer a fierce hitter.  He was a catch and wrap up guy.

Minkah should not be used as a normal safety, he's a playmaker, you have to put him in multiple spots and positions for his talent to come through.  The guy is all over the place and can do seemingly everything.  He's a defensive weapon.  He doesn't have Derwin James size, but he's got twice the on-field confidence and aggressiveness.

Minkah should be used like Tyrann Mathieu, Antrel Rolle (Giants), and Charles Woodson (Packers).  Someone you line up as SS, as FS, as Will LB, as Edge, as Nickel CB.  He's someone who is wasted in a traditional safety role, but who you should tailor a defense around.

I would love Minkah at 13.  I would not like Derwin at 13.  With Minkah you get excited about how to scheme him in, how to have him attack.  With Derwin you have to ask what's the role you want for him.  Is it the Su'a Cravens/Josh Harvey-Clemons role?  Derwin is bigger than Su'a but smaller than Harvey-Clemons, and he's better than both.  Is it an underzone style SS whose tasked with playing downhill?  He's versatile, but not overly so.  I don't think Derwin would be on the field enough for us to be worth pick #13.

Walterfootball who I do take with a grain of a salt, some highlights.

Minkah Fitzpatrick Not Seen As Dynamic Talent for Teams Picking in the Top 10

Updated March 1, 2018 
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

A year ago, Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen was one of the consensus top players for the 2017 NFL Draft. Allen was coming off a tremendous two-year stretch for Alabama, and the consensus in the NFL media was that Allen would be a top-10 pick. Allen ended up sliding, as teams had concerns about his shoulders and felt he wasn't a dynamic athlete. This year, some team sources have the same feeling about Crimson Tide safety/cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick. Sources from two teams picking in the top-10 said that Fitzpatrick is a really good player, but isn't a dynamic athlete. 

There has been some debate about Fitzpatrick playing outside cornerback along with being a free safety and a slot corner. Working out as an outside cornerback and looking fluid there could help Fitzpatrick, as some team sources don't feel that he has the size, speed and athleticism of an elite top-of-the-draft player. In his final season for Alabama, Fitzpatrick totaled 60 tackles, one interception, eight passes broken up and a forced fumble. One general manager of a top-10 team said, "I just don't see a dynamic player." A national scout of another top-10 team who had Fitzpatrick in his area stated, "I don't think he's dynamic. He's very good, but not dynamic to me." 

Safeties can slide in the draft, and a year ago, Ohio State's Malik Hooker fell in the first round, with teams viewing him as a dynamic athlete and player. Hooker's slide was in part from being injured in the lead up to the draft. Between his position and what we saw a year ago with Hooker and Allen, some team sources feel it is possible that Fitzpatrick could end up going lower than the consensus view entering the final seven weeks before the draft. 

...Over the past two nights, draft prospects have been interviewing with NFL teams, and as expected, there are a few players who have really impressed evaluators. Among the players who have drawn some rave reviews from team sources are Notre Dame left tackle Mike McGlinchey and Texas A&M wide receiver Christian Kirk. Both of them have generated a nice buzz about their character, work ethic, and football knowledge. 

Sources say that Notre Dame's Quenton Nelson also interviewed well. He wasn't as impressive as McGlinchey, but Nelson did well in his interview. 

Kirk is hoping to create more teams considering him as a first-rounder, and his combine is off to a great start. Not only has Kirk been excellent in the team interviews, but his college coaching staff have raved about him to scouts and NFL coaches. If Kirk has a strong showing in the field workout, as expected, the slot receiver could get more consideration from teams picking late in the first round. 

Other players that have interviewed well include Oklahoma offensive tackle Orlando Brown and Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph. 

Meanwhile, according to sources, McGlinchey, Nelson, Kirk, and Louisville offensive tackle Geron Christian have had formal interviews with the Oakland Raiders. Rudolph had a formal interview with the Cleveland Browns. 

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress#ixzz58Xi4nQi8

One of my guys, lots of speed.  But I'd still rather go higher up the food chain.  Granted though meetings are just fodder versus meaningful. 

USC running back Ronald Jones said he had a formal meeting with the #Giants. NC State RB Nyheim Hines also said he’s met with the Giants, Redskins and Eagles.

Love this, the dude plays that way too

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2018-lsu-rb-derrius-guice-give-your-defense-hell/dapel7w4s3941byj4mp9imzks?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LSU's Derrius Guice tells NFL teams: 'If you don't draft me, I’m gonna give your defense hell'

It was similar to the response Peyton Manning gave in 1998 when he advised the Colts to draft him No. 1 overall. 

"If you don’t, I promise I’ll come back and kick your ass," Manning famously said 20 years ago.

Guice is one of several elite running backs in this year's NFL Draft class. Penn State's Saquon Barkley, Ronald Jones of USC, Georgia's Nick Chubb and Sony Michel, Auburn's Kerryon Johnson, Arizona State's Kalen Ballage and San Diego State's Rashaad Penny are just some of the backs who comprise a deep class. 

Guice shared the LSU backfield with Leonard Fournette before Fournette was selected fourth overall last year by the Jaguars. While filling in for an injured Fournette in 2016, Guice ran for 1,387 yards and 15 touchdowns. He followed that up with a 1,251-yard effort with 11 scores last season. Guice has a powerful lower body and likes to be a physical runner. He even likened himself to former Seahawks and current Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch, saying he runs like "Beast Mode."

"I see angriness. I someone that refuses to go down," Guice said of Lynch. "When I run, I really think about him every time. When I go back and watch him, I'm like man, I really run like this dude. It's crazy because growing up, my favorite running back was Reggie Bush.

"As I got older and started studying running backs, 'Beast Mode' reminds me a lot of myself.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OMore

USC running back Ronald Jones said he had a formal meeting with the #Giants.

I absolutely HATE this. I had a first round grade on Jones before anyone else on here was even talking about him. The guy is going to be Jamaal Charles. Mark my words. The one thing that does scare me about him is he may be injured like Charles as well. But if you can use him properly and limit his time between the tackles he is going to end up being an absolute monster.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Need to look at some of these later safeties.  But from what I'm seeing, it's a mistake to compare Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James.  

I would not like Derwin at 13.  With Minkah you get excited about how to scheme him in, how to have him attack.  With Derwin you have to ask what's the role you want for him.  Is it the Su'a Cravens/Josh Harvey-Clemons role?  Derwin is bigger than Su'a but smaller than Harvey-Clemons, and he's better than both.  Is it an underzone style SS whose tasked with playing downhill?  He's versatile, but not overly so.  I don't think Derwin would be on the field enough for us to be worth pick #13.

I agree with you they are different players. But we will have to disagree on who is the better athlete. I think James might be one of the best athletes in this draft. His jumping ability is ridiculous. Minkah is probably a better fit for our team with Swearinger already back there. But James will be a dominate safety in this league IMO.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me besides Barkley -- Guice, Jones and Michel seem to scream stars in the league.  I'd be ecstatic if they ended up with any one of them.  My favorites in that mix change by day.  Today, I think its Michel.  He almost averaged 8 yards per carry.  Really good pass blocker.  Has good hands even though he didn't catch much at Georgia.   He has that breakaway speed. 

If the first round is out for a RB -- I'd trade down.  I'd guess they are all gone by the 13th pick in the 2nd.

I completely agree. Didn't the top tier RB's get depleted last year right before our pick in the 2nd? Joe Mixon and Dalvin Cook?. I've been wanting to draft Michel since the OU playoff loss. I wouldn't be angry if they went there during the first round unless a top prospect falls like last year.

Add a talented ILB to go with Foster, Swearinger and our front 4, and I’ll feel good about our run stopping.  Of course Nicholson and our corners will have to do their part.  I’ll be nervous about our DT depth until we address it.  The one spot that could really hurt us is slot corner.  Shephard, Beasley and Agholar in the division - that’s a good group.   

Of course our 34 needs a boost of a true NT and could probably use a DE too.  

If Derwin James is there at 13, you take him.

Too good of an athlete and impact player to pass up.

This is how you build championship caliber rosters. If you draft for "need" you end up with guys like Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly

Edit: Scott McCloughan knew this. He drafted Doctson even though we had Garcon and Jackson. He knew the potential impact a guy like Doctson would make. I know people want to **** on Doctson... but he led the team in receiving TD's last season, and I expect him to really develop and break out this year.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Walterfootball who I do take with a grain of a salt, some highlights.

Minkah Fitzpatrick Not Seen As Dynamic Talent for Teams Picking in the Top 10

Updated March 1, 2018 
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

A year ago, Alabama defensive lineman Jonathan Allen was one of the consensus top players for the 2017 NFL Draft. Allen was coming off a tremendous two-year stretch for Alabama, and the consensus in the NFL media was that Allen would be a top-10 pick. Allen ended up sliding, as teams had concerns about his shoulders and felt he wasn't a dynamic athlete. This year, some team sources have the same feeling about Crimson Tide safety/cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick. Sources from two teams picking in the top-10 said that Fitzpatrick is a really good player, but isn't a dynamic athlete. 

There has been some debate about Fitzpatrick playing outside cornerback along with being a free safety and a slot corner. Working out as an outside cornerback and looking fluid there could help Fitzpatrick, as some team sources don't feel that he has the size, speed and athleticism of an elite top-of-the-draft player. In his final season for Alabama, Fitzpatrick totaled 60 tackles, one interception, eight passes broken up and a forced fumble. One general manager of a top-10 team said, "I just don't see a dynamic player." A national scout of another top-10 team who had Fitzpatrick in his area stated, "I don't think he's dynamic. He's very good, but not dynamic to me." 

Don't do me like this!  Don't give me hope!  But please oh please, we'll all forget about Fuller being traded so fast.

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with you they are different players. But we will have to disagree on who is the better athlete. I think James might be one of the best athletes in this draft. His jumping ability is ridiculous. Minkah is probably a better fit for our team with Swearinger already back there. But James will be a dominate safety in this league IMO.

See, when I say James isn't 100%, I mean his freakish athleticism isn't there on tape.  His change of direction isn't there, he comes down hill then has to do some hard plants, stop, and then gather to redirect.

This play starts out as a highlight reel of what he can do.  (4 minutes and 21 seconds of that youtube clip)  He looks like he's got him dead to rights, but then he loses the angle and can't close fast enough.  He looks like an athletic downhill safety there that diagnosed well.  He doesn't look like a freak that adjusts on the fly and can explode into tackles to close a gap.

Based on last season, not his freshman one, but last season, he was an athletic downhill safety that was a good tackler.  I don't think he showed on film as being one of the best athletes of the draft.  Maybe his knee isn't 100%, but it will be by the time the next season rolls around.  Or maybe his knee won't ever be 100%.

I'd give a lot more value to his jumping ability, if he could makes plays down the field.  But he kind of struggles in coverage there.  He plays better when seeing something in front of him and then reacting.  Go to 3 minutes and 36 seconds of the previously linked video clip.  I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure he screwed up that deep coverage.  Then even after that, what's he doing after screwing it up?  Is there a purpose or a receiving target he's keying in on?  No, he's kind of just shuffling around.

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Very much agree.  I like Guice the best as a runner, Jones brings something new to the table (dynamism coupled with speed) and Michel is really well rounded.  

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Well we don't have a 3rd so that fits I suppose.  We can argue Alvin Kamara's draft value was the 2nd and he fell to the 3rd, so it's a little hard to say Sony Michel should be taken with a 3rd (if we trade back and gain that pick).  But Michel has a lot of qualities similar to Kamara, just not quite as hard to bring down.  I think, on the right team, Michel could be fun.  Is that us though?  And do we want to spend pick #44 (or whatever it is) on a RB?

I like the idea of Penny if we aren’t in a good position to grab one of the top 3 (well, technically 4 counting Barkley), but 44 is pretty early and we’re lacking a 3rd.  So we’re once again in danger of missing out on a talented back in a draft with several of them.  (I’m not writing off Perine, but...)

If we can pick up a 3rd, maybe even wind up with two 3rds, or two 2nds, we’d stand a much better chance at a good back, while still allowing ourselves to go after some other talent at WR, G, DL, corner.  

Even more than most years, I feel like our FA moves will really impact our draft.  

@clskinsfanThe safety position to me is James #1 and everybody else can than be ranked.

Minkah is a nice player, feel he will be solid pro. James is on another level. He has all pro written all over him. As long as he can be coached his ceiling is so much higher than anyone else at that position. 

Both are versatile players. Looks like Minkah had some nice special teams efforts. James can play that hybrid safety (more valuable IMO). I see Minkah as a good player in a great system. I see James as the kind of player that regardless of what team he is on, he's gonna be the best player on the defensive side of the ball.

If James is there when we are drafting (which I highly doubt) and we pass, I'll lose my ship.

@Alcoholic Zebra James is a safety that can slide up in the box and cover TE and stop run and also is more than versatile enough to cover deep zones. He basically can play every down in the game IMO. I don't seem in the niche role at all. This kid is on another level

12 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

If Derwin James is there at 13, you take him.

Too good of an athlete and impact player to pass up.

This is how you build championship caliber rosters. If you draft for "need" you end up with guys like Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly

Edit: Scott McCloughan knew this. He drafted Doctson even though we had Garcon and Jackson. He knew the potential impact a guy like Doctson would make. I know people want to **** on Doctson... but he led the team in receiving TD's last season, and I expect him to really develop and break out this year.

Just like Jabril Peppers...

Archived