Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

Given what is likely to actually happen, I agree with this. Our FO is super transparent. I think we are looking LG and RB. Who else have we interviewed/brought in? Josh Jackson? I would say that is also a possibility. I think I would take Guice, Hernandez, then Josh Jackson, in that order. 

If it were me, and I didn't have to be realistic about what the FO would likely do, I might continue to focus on the defense. There are a ton of good players left there. Harold Landry, Josh Jackson and Mo Hurst all have pro bowl potential. A line of Ioannidis, Allen, Payne and Hurst would give us the best young DL in the league, and that is something that you can build off of. It would help the back 7 immensely. 

I'd put Hernandez a tick above Guice at this point.  If he's there, I feel like you gotta take him.  The Guice story with me just doesn't pass the smell test, something seems off.  The other thing I'd look at is the fact that we're going to need to address the T position in the not too distant future.  I'd almost lean toward needing to address it next season.  Trent and Moses are making MONEY, and Scherff is not far behind.  My concern is that next offseason we will not be able to afford all 3... I REALLY want more production from the backfield, and it would appear a new back would need to be had, but if that new back is constantly staring down the facemask of Michael Bennet... it's hard for him to do ANYTHING 

6 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

I hope espn980 is able to track down if we had offers. Did Saints offer the same deal to us as the Packers? 

I feel like trading down would be better. If I look at the draft I don't see Payne beeing drafted before 20s. 

I'm not mad, Payne is fine but trading down...Would have got us a similar type of talent. 

im calming down a bit, but still a little mad, he was drafted 10 slots too early. We could of had a blue chip player, james and edmunds were still on board... now remains to be seen, but just felt like such a reach for need rather the bpa like Doug said was going to happen...

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Guice or Jones could be gone by 44, think we would settle for either if they are there.

reckon Josh Jackson is the pick.

Jones makes absolutely no sense considering our problems. We have no back that can gain yardage against stacked boxes and normal fronts between the tackles and that's exactly what Jones sucks at. What he excels at, THE ONLY THING HE EXCELS AT, is running in space/off tackle. That's it, and we've got that covered with Chris Thompson. Picking him would leave us with the exact same problems we had last year: No RB on the roster capable of doing anything between the tackles. 

Just now, The Consigliere said:

That's it, and we've got that covered with Chris Thompson.

We have when he is healthy and plays. And when he's out, the whole thing falls apart. I also like John Kelly as a more physical back option. 

Hell, we can pick 2 backs for me. The rest on the roster suck.

10 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Since when are Alabama prospects safe?!?!

Safe pick for our FO, not the end result...:kickcan:

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We have when he is healthy and plays. And when he's out, the whole thing falls apart. I also like John Kelly as a more physical back option. 

that was a freak accident last year though, he has been healthy since his rookie year.

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Mark Andrews is the most similar to him. The Freaks are Goedert and Gesicki, they're your E. Engram/Njoku types. 

You think Sprinkle can play?

and i ask that cause i value your opinion, im a basketball guy, so while i have takes on football, im certainly not an evaluateor of talent, i just dont know enough about the game.

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I also like John Kelly as a more physical back option. 

I like him too.  He left an impression on me when he lit up Georgia Tech in the opener.  He's a gamer.  Maybe even a little too physical of a runner for his size.  But he's a true competitor.

I haven't studied John Kelly post college season, I watched some of his Tennessee games.  Feisty guy with some Guice like qualities. Good hands.  But I am a bit jaded about the 4.65 guys.  Bibbs, Kelley, Perine are all around 4.65.  

When it comes to Rbs.  For a change of pace -- I'd like a guy who can at least run under a 4.6.  Even Chubb who is a big guy, can run in the 4.5s

27 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'd put Hernandez a tick above Guice at this point.  If he's there, I feel like you gotta take him.  The Guice story with me just doesn't pass the smell test, something seems off.  The other thing I'd look at is the fact that we're going to need to address the T position in the not too distant future.  I'd almost lean toward needing to address it next season.  Trent and Moses are making MONEY, and Scherff is not far behind.  My concern is that next offseason we will not be able to afford all 3... I REALLY want more production from the backfield, and it would appear a new back would need to be had, but if that new back is constantly staring down the facemask of Michael Bennet... it's hard for him to do ANYTHING 

That one is really hard for me. I really really like Guice. I am not as worried about the combine stuff. Kids do stupid things then get caught. He has no history of such antics. He likely just got caught up in something that started as a joke but then got out of control.

But I have to admit Hernandez is closer to sure thing. Our line would be so stout. We could likely end up with the best 2 g tandem in the NFL. Not something to scoff at. I would not be opposed to taking Hernandez if both he had Guice are there at 44. I just do not think either one will be. 

Never know. It's been a wild 1st rd. It would be a good problem to have. 

37 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

im calming down a bit, but still a little mad, he was drafted 10 slots too early. We could of had a blue chip player, james and edmunds were still on board... now remains to be seen, but just felt like such a reach for need rather the bpa like Doug said was going to happen...

so you don't think any of the teams rumored to be interested in him, the Chargers, Cowboys or Lions would have pulled the trigger at their spots.  Cause I'm looking around, and from what I see is maybe 13 is high, but 23 is low

I could envision us trading back in the 2nd.  Once you miss out on top of their position guys like Hernandez, Landry Guice, Chubb and maybe Williams... there is plenty of intriguing talent left.  Especially since I don’t think they double down on dline.  

ILB - Leonard

OLB - Sweat, Carter

corner - Jackson, Oliver

G/C - Smith, Corbett, Daniels, 

WR - Miller, Washington, Kirk, maybe Sutton

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we move back a bit in the second, I wouldn't mind swinging for the fences on Carter.

I like Carter though I wonder if he lasts that long.  Just like I want some speed at RB.  I'd like a speed pass rusher to complement the power rushers we got.  We got Landry and Carter sitting out there right now.  Maybe later on Josh Sweat if they are comfortable with his medicals. 

Depending on who drops to 44, I'd be open to trading down, lot of prospects I like.  That is, if they assume a BPA approach.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watching Rasheem Green cut ups today and I am not liking what I see.  Let's just say I'm glad we got Payne.

Rasheem Green had ten sacks this season and he sucks.  He defines Pac-12 softness.  Sack production isn't everything.

If you don't dig the player, don't dig the player. The All pro and pro bowl rosters are littered with guys from Pac 12 softness. 

I don't love the Payne pick and I don't hate the Payne pick. I said before the draft I didn't want to sit at 13 and take one of the DL. I wanted Minkah (or one of the other top guys that fell, only Derwin fit that bill for me when we were on the clock). I feel the closer to 1 you pick the more you should go BPA. I'm drafting for 2018-25 not just 2018. I feel BPA early helps you more down the road. Having said that I am excited about the potential for our DL now. It could be dominant. 

Now after round 1 I am good filling needs that leads me to tonight's pick (hopefully picks). 

tonight my short wish list is 

1-Hernandez

2-Guice

3-Chubb

4-Rojo

5-Daniels

I'd love to have 2 picks tonight. Whether it means using a mix of later picks and projected rounds from next years draft or just using this years picks. 

If those 5 are gone I wouldn't mind moving down from 44 with Tennesse

44, 163 and 205 for 57, 89, 199 and 215 is within 3 points on the draft chart and would give us 2 picks tonight and the same amount of picks tomorrow.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Safe pick for our FO, not the end result...:kickcan:

That's fair. The problem is that Jones can't remedy our three down bell cow dream because he's terrible between the tackles, and he can't solve the satellite back when thompson's injured problem because he's provided no evidence that he's actually effective in the passing game (rarely used, and when he was, he was terrible at it in terms of production and efficiency). 

Joh Kelly is the ultimate roll the dice back.

Do you get the Kareem Hunt pipe dream part II, or do you get the more likely unathletic bust grinder AGAIN. 

I don't know.

People are clearly obsessed with the Florida tape, but he's terribly unathletic so one just has to pray that his rare tools (vision, contact balance, satellite skill set) is enough for him to make the leap.

He and Mark Walton are two of the few guys outside my Big 5 I think have a chance at actually becoming every down backs. More likely they're busts, but there's a chance with them. 

With Witten retiring the cowboys could be a trade partner.

I want Jones, Kirk, or Hernandez. Would settle for Guice, or Chubb but feel we could get similar guys later. Would of loved to get Penny and you got big Bo out there. Rb's are loaded but the type I want are thin. Good thing corner is not a big need as it's also loaded for us later. I like what we did with Payne. We have to control the los.

I'm not even gonna' start to hope for A Particular Player after some of the absolutely jaw-dropping moves yesterday. I think I was totally gone when NO gave up next years first to get their future QB ...... Uhmmmm, sorry, I meant EDGE ****ING RUSHER!!!!!

I'm just gonna' sit back in awe at the stupidity continuing and hope Bruce suddenly got smart from somewhere to take advantage of the madness. 

Hail. 

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Mark Andrews is the most similar to him. The Freaks are Goedert and Gesicki, they're your E. Engram/Njoku types. 

*Puts on Sooner Hat .....

Andrews is a slot guy. Telling yer. He's never blocked in his life. Someone will make the mistake of drafting him on athletic ability to be a big TE but if they do they'll have to be REAL patient with him to turn him into an in-line TE which he has the size of. That will be a serious challenge and will take time. Must have played 95% out of the slot in Norman. 

Hail. 

Archived