Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t really get a debate dedicated to same sex issues. About 5 percent of America identifies homosexual. I’m fine with protecting everyone’s rights to marriage, whatever bathroom they want to use, whatever it doesn’t matter to me... but three hours on something that really only affects 5 percent of the population... idk.

If I had a choice between three hours on that or education...equal protection under the law isnt a three hour town hall,  it I didnt watch it, so I dont know what they talked about.  Why not have a three hour on everything?  If we open up the topics, this would stand out less.  Not that I dont think it's worth a discussion, but if that gets three hours, I know plenty of topics that do as well.

8 hours ago, JCB said:

It affects us all,  because decency, human rights, and the rule of law need to be shored up continually. And because education is needed. And because, as a famous preacher once said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

I feel like you could have shored up decency, human rights, and the rule of law, by making the subject of the debate more inclusive.  I heard Joe Biden say he has going to create a position in his government that would actively petition other governments to grant rights to specifically homosexuals.  

Yeah, that’s great and all but there are a lot of places to spend resources on and a lot more human rights violations that affect vastly more people going on... and the countries enabling it are often our allies... or ourselves.

so aren’t we missing the bigger picture here? 

10 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Gillum would potentially be a decent VP pick, if he passes vetting (he's been investigated, but nothing has come close to sticking to him yet).

But I really doubt Warren is offering that already. She has no reason to be desperate enough to commit herself to that. Just a guess, but I would think it would  more likely be something like a promise to put him on the VP shortlist and to at least give him a cabinet spot (maybe HUD) in exchange for an endorsement. 

But it could also be literally nothing. 

I think she is just trying to put out the picture that she is starting to vet people.  That's the act of someone who knows their going to win.  And if you act like the winner, more people will perceive you as such.  She is just doing this to put it in peoples mind that she has it locked up.

9 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t really get a debate dedicated to same sex issues. About 5 percent of America identifies homosexual. I’m fine with protecting everyone’s rights to marriage, whatever bathroom they want to use, whatever it doesn’t matter to me... but three hours on something that really only affects 5 percent of the population... idk.

Biden said something to the effect of "we have a 3 hour town hall where everyone's answers are going to be about the same because we as a party support gay rights.  And I'm proud to be apart of that."  I thought it was pretty good.  Because yes, everyone pretty much said the same things.

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

When Loving v Virginia happened 52 years ago, interracial marriage made up only 3% of all US marriages. I guess it was a non-issue too.

Edit..in case anyone is curious like me, interracial marriages are up to 17% in 2015 according to the census bureau. I'm still in the minority but we make cute kids (from what my other friends involved in them too tell me). 😄

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

When Loving v Virginia happened 52 years ago, interracial marriage made up only 3% of all US marriages. I guess it was a non-issue too.

Edit..in case anyone is curious like me, interracial up to 17% in 2015 according to the census bureau.

I dont like where this is going or that correlation.  I'll let her defend herself before I do, but as someone who likely wouldnt exist without that ruling, i dont see them as the same thing. 

Theres considerably more people in the different racial groups then there are people who dont identify as straight, if your suggesting that number will change if they feel more comfortable coming out, maybe I get your point.  

But if we gonna spend three hours on that, I want three hours on other core topics that arent getting touched on enough that directly affect me more.  Have a 3 hour town hall on racial issues, that affects me more directly being mixed then this because I'm straight.

I have a feeling this is going to come off to some as insensitive, I dont think that's fair.  Theres a lot going on right now, I'm fine they had this town hall, I jus feel like i already know what they going to say and little no idea what they want to do about education or infrastructure.  You can have those as 3 hour town halls as well if we gonna do that.  That actually may be better then having them all on stage and not all have a chance to answer the same question.

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont like where this is going or that correlation.  I'll let her defend herself before I do, but as someone who likely wouldnt exist without that ruling, i dont see them as the same thing. 

Theres considerably more people in the different racial groups then there are people who dont identify as straight, if your suggesting that number will change if they feel more comfortable coming out, maybe I get your point.  

But if we gonna spend three hours on that, I want three hours on other core topics that arent getting touched on enough that directly affect me more.  Have a 3 hour town hall on racial issues, that affects me more directly being mixed then this because I'm straight.

I have a feeling this is going to come off to some as insensitive, I dont think that's fair.  Theres a lot going on right now, I'm fine they had this town hall, I jus feel like i already know what they going to say and little no idea what they want to do about education or infrastructure.  You can have those as 3 hour town halls as well if we gonna do that.  That actually may be better then having them all on stage and not all have a chance to answer the same question.

The similarity (to me, and why I brought it up) is because we are talking about marriage between consenting adults. Moreover (like Loving), imo, we are talking about consenting adults who have been villified and/or ostracized by one specific side (religious bigots). Not to sidetrack but I've always felt that the US form of religions have played a great role in "teaching" people to hate minorites. That's probably a different thread though. 

But I do agree that a 3hr town hall specifically about LGBTQIA+ rights (and lack thereof) is probably overkill for the majority of the party.

But it (the discussion) is needed.

24 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The similarity (to me, and why I brought it up) is because we are talking about marriage between consenting adults. Moreover (like Loving), imo, we are talking about consenting adults who have been villified and/or ostracized by one specific side (religious bigots). Not to sidetrack but I've always felt that the US form of religions have played a great role in "teaching" people to hate minorites. That's probably a different thread though. 

But I do agree that a 3hr town hall specifically about LGBTQIA+ rights (and lack thereof) is probably overkill for the majority of the party.

But it (the discussion) is needed.

Ya, this can get off topic fast, but I get your point. I'll add that another reason I dont like the comparison is the Lovings case was not a redefinition of marriage.  Equality is a belief that not everyone agrees on, equal protection under the law can be written down and enforced.

@LadySkinsFan is there something easier to remember then the acryonm list I keep seeing that looks different everytime I see it?  Is there a nickname that doesnt make me look like a bigot because I forgot a letter?

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think the difference between that and what happened last night to be fairly obvious. Do we believe in freedom or not vs “I’m the best gay candidate”.... 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@LadySkinsFan is there something easier to remember then the acryonm list I keep seeing that looks different everytime I see it?  Is there a nickname that doesnt make me look like a bigot because I forgot a letter?

The alphabet soup you're referencing mostly covers men in some form or fashion. My group of friends pretty much have divorced ourselves from the soup for that reason. Lesbians are largely ignored and marginalized by the soup people. 

And yes, it changes as pretty much everyone can join so more letters are added and/or used for different terms.

Archived