Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Just now, Renegade7 said:

A contest to get people to his site that could win money?  Disqualifying.

I think it's a bad idea too, but as a devil's advocate, he was offering it to prove how much difference universal income could make to the average American.  

I thought, like everyone else,  Beto O'Rourke won tonight's debate. Will that translate to anything remains to be seen?  If he can't move up in the polls, I don't see how he lasts beyond the October debates.

Pete Buttigieg had a good night.  He won't be the nominee, but he will be in the next administration if a Dem wins in 2020.

Corey Booker had a good night also.  He's in the same boat as Beto, if he can't move up in the polls; don't see how he lasts beyond October. 

Amy Klobuchar is dull. She had some good points but she's dull.  She will be done after the next debate.

Andrew Yang- His $1000 bribe gimmick was just that, a gimmick. He'll hang around but he's not going to have any impact at all.

Kamala Harris was okay but she's fading fast.  She may not even make it beyond the holidays.

Bernie Sanders was his usual self.  No real change.

Joe Biden started out alright but showed moments of incoherence, in between, the occasional good point. 

Elizabeth Warren kept her surging status.  

Julian  Castro campaign is over.  He will be the next candidate to drop out.  He probably won't do it before the October debate, but he's going nowhere. 

Nothing in the race really changes. It's a 3 way between Biden, Warren and Sanders.  I still think, it's Warren's race to lose.  I also still think, Trump gets reelected but a Warren as the nominee could give the Dems the Senate. 

AS for the candidates not on the debate stage tonight, none of them have a shot.  Tom Steyer who will join these 10 in next month's debate is just stoking his ego.

Bernie did his job as well as any Independent could in affecting or outright changing the conversation.  But now...his shtick is getting old.  Hes not the one to do, he was never meant to be the one to get his dream done himself, and that's okay, good fight, bro. 

Let Lizzy do it, you left her for dead trying to explain how yall would cover those costs for MFA and she's trying not to attack you, your not just hurting yourself, your hurting her as well now.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Bernie did his job as well as any Independent could in affecting or outright changing the conversation.  But now...his shtick is getting old.  Hes not the one to do, he was never meant to be the one to get his dream done himself, and that's okay, good fight, bro. 

Let Lizzy do it, you left her for dead trying to explain how yall would cover those costs for MFA and she's trying not to attack you, your not just hurting yourself, your hurting her as well now.

On a tangent, I really wish Warren would embrace public option as a compromise.  I just see this MFA being an albatross around her neck in the general.

Also, regardless of what happens with Beto the rest of the way, he acquitted himself really well after the tragedy at El Paso.  He's out there giving voice to all Americans who shake with disbelief and rage at the utter stupidity that is gun control in this country.

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

On a tangent, I really wish Warren would embrace public option as a compromise.  I just see this MFA being an albatross around her neck in the general.

Odds are a split congress will force that anyway.  I mean, I want to agree with you, but regardless of how I feel about MFA, even moderate democrats in Congress wont let her get rid of private insurance.  What she needs to avoid is making that a campaign promise and letting that keep her from getting any change in health care if elected.

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Also, regardless of what happens with Beto the rest of the way, he acquitted himself really well after the tragedy at El Paso.  He's out there giving voice to all Americans who shake with disbelief and rage at the utter stupidity that is gun control in this country.

Agreed, all the sudden he could turn into a populist.  Warren/Beto ticket?

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Odds are a split congress will force that anyway.  I mean, I want to agree with you, but regardless of how I feel about MFA, even moderate democrats in Congress wont let her get rid of private insurance.  What she needs to avoid is making that a campaign promise and letting that keep her from getting any change in health care if elected.

Agreed, all the sudden he could turn into a populist.  Warren/Beto ticket?

Given that we aren’t getting MFA, Biden’s solution makes the most sense.  Buttigueg’s could possibly work.

46 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Given that we aren’t getting MFA, Biden’s solution makes the most sense.  Buttigueg’s could possibly work.

By that logic, I'd take Beto and his public MFA option because he seems ferocious enough not let up on that.  Still, none of them will come after the corporate interests that dominate our politics like Warren will, so even if she doesnt get exactly what she wants in MFA, no Democrat is going to stop her on her views of cleaning up corporate America.  I take her the most serious on that over all of them, even Bernie.  For ever Bernie rant, Warren already has a plan.

Harris won't be dropping out before the California primary, which is early this year.  She's 4th or 5th in most polls.  But in California polls she's finished stronger (in some polls in July she actually had the lead).  I think similar logic works for Beto, which also has an early primary.  But I think Castro is probably done. 

Also, I can see Harris or Beto gunning for a VP nod.   Especially if its Biden (for Harris) or Warren (for Beto).   A strong showing in their home states, could be parlayed into in a promise for running mate in return for support if becomes obvious Harris or Beto can't win the nomination, they could end up being kingmakers if no clear front runner emerges. 

4 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Harris won't be dropping out before the California primary, which is early this year.  She's 4th or 5th in most polls.  But in California polls she's finished stronger (in some polls in July she actually had the lead).  I think similar logic works for Beto, which also has an early primary.  But I think Castro is probably done. 

Also, I can see Harris or Beto gunning for a VP nod.   Especially if its Biden (for Harris) or Warren (for Beto).   A strong showing in their home states, could be parlayed into in a promise for running mate in return for support if becomes obvious Harris or Beto can't win the nomination, they could end up being kingmakers if no clear front runner emerges. 

That makes sense but will they have the cash to last that long. March 3 is an awful long time. Also, if one candidate dominates the February contests; that candidate could go on a roll on Super Tuesday:3/3.

10 hours ago, Destino said:

So what happens if our trade partners don’t raise their labor and environmental standards, is Sen Warren suggesting we ban their goods if they don’t let her set their domestic policy?

I would.  Been proposing it for 20 years.  In fact, I proposed something like that when we agreed to NAFTA.  

My reasoning is that the US doesn't have much leverage as the only manufacturing country in  the world any more.  But we are still the world's largest purchaser.  People aren't fighting to buy things from us, but they are fighting to sell things to us.  

And I think we should leverage that.  

I think we need to create some kind of a program, a standard, maybe a logo or some such.  In order to get this logo/get through customs/whatever, certain standards have to be met.  

* some kind of minimum wage.  Maybe a dollar an hour?  Maybe two?Something that's still less than the US, but not exploitation.

* Some kind of minimum environmental standards.

* Some minimum child labor laws.

* Minimal worker safety rules.  

Something that allows the consumer to know that they're not raping some third world country.  Something that tells corporations that if they exploit third world countries roo much, then they can't sell their widgets in the US.  Standards that allow other countries to compete, but not get exploited.  

And we're not imposing it on other countries.  We're protecting them from corporations.  And all we're doing is saying that if your tennis shoe factory is manned by 12 year olds who get paid 50 cents a week, then you can't sell them in the US.  

10 hours ago, Destino said:

You’re right, but that’s population in general.  He spoke about specific communities.  As in “if my town needs people” is a problem “let’s import some” is an option.

Problem is, if your town is losing people, odds are, it's because your town doesn't have any jobs.  

Shouldn't surprise me that the response to Beto's comment conveyed that message. Strong 2nd amendment supporters often think it's the only right that shouldn't be limited (and they have their semi-automatic guns to hide behind when they make their empty threats). 

Oh and a Warren/Beto ticket would be nice...as would a Warren/Booker ticket (although that would strategically be a lot of New England representation).

29 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Oh and a Warren/Beto ticket would be nice...as would a Warren/Booker ticket (although that would strategically be a lot of New England representation).

Ya, I jus had a realization that if Beto is VP nominee, he needs to watch the tape of the Kaine-Pence debate.  Only reason Kaine lost was he was in such attack mode he came across disrespectful to someone who didnt deserve any respect, that's how bad he messed up. 

I'd love a Warren/Beto ticket if for anything they seem the most passionate to counter what Trump brings to the table, but that doesnt mean spray and pray.  Hes going to be underqualified compared to Pence, that matchup might not be easy as it sounds but it would be worth it to put Texas in play.

Agree that two New Englanders is a better idea.

I would like to see Pete Buttigieg  as the next President of the United States.  He is clearly a thoughtful, intelligent man. High school valedictorian. Magna cum laude at Harvard. Rhodes scholar.  Service in Afghanistan in the U.S. Military.  People talk about his lack of national political experience, but that's not entirely true.  Before becoming mayor he worked at the firm of former Defense Secretary William Cohen, as a fellow at the Truman Institute for National Security, and as a policy advisor for John Kerry's presidential campaign.

The courage to come out during his re-election campaign for mayor is extraordinary.  That he won with something like 80% of the vote showed what South Bend thought of him.  His firm, quiet resolve would stand in stark contrast to the raving lunatic he would run against.  He has a way of zinging Trump...  a dis mixed in with pity for the dottering dotard.  His center-left politics works for me. 

Too bad he's a long shot.  He would make an excellent, unifying President, a calm steady hand at the helm.

Mayor Pete is one of the few candidates I've seen.  (Saw him on Meet the Press a while back.)  

I liked what I saw.  Seemed a good person, very bright, and not too serious.  Thought he handled things very well.  

Yeah, I'd feel a lot better about him as a candidate for POTUS if he'd been a Governor or Congressman for a while, first.  

And I'm well aware that inexperience can be a political advantage.  Means that he's free to claim whatever positions the voters happen to want right this minute.  

I think I'd like him a lot more as a Veep candidate.  At least some kind of promotion.  

12 hours ago, bearrock said:

Is it allowed under election laws?  That's the first question that crossed my mine when heard his opening.  I assume his lawyers approved it, but seems iffy

NPR did a story on the election and followed him. The way they did it, it is legal. I don’t think it can come from campaign funds tho.

He has done this for a few families since running for President.

Archived