Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

Twtter, FB, Twitch, Youtube etc etc all have their flaws in how they enforce their TOS, but at the end of the day they still allow most all viewpoints to be shared on their platforms.  The reason these right-wing wannabe apps keep failing is because they equate free speech with right-wing views and no one outside of their small circle is interesting in seeing that on a daily basis in the circle-jerk way it's presented. 

Elon Musk's company confirms monkeys died in brain chip testing project, denies animal cruelty

Neuralink was accused of animal cruelty after multiple media reports suggested that 15 out of 23 monkeys used for experiments died after "extreme suffering".

Elon Musk's implant company Neuralink, which aims to enable brains to connect and communicate with computers, has acknowledged that monkeys died as part of its testing procedures but denies allegations of animal cruelty.

In a blog post on its website, Neuralink addressed the "recent articles" that have "raised questions around Neuralink's use of research animals at the University of California, Davis Primate Center" (UC Davis) and said that "all novel medical devices and treatments must be tested in animals before they can be ethically trialed in humans."

Macaque monkeys have been used in testing by Neuralink as the company has been developing Bluetooth-enabled implantable chips -- inserted into the monkey's brains -- that the company says can communicate with computers via a small receiver.

In April last year, Neuralink claimed monkeys can play Pong -- a computer game - using just their minds when it released a video of Pager, a male macaque, moving a cursor onscreen without using a joystick to do so.

The statement by Neuralink comes after the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine -- a US non-profit that advocates alternatives to animal testing -- sent a letter to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) referencing violations and requesting an investigation into what it called "apparent egregious violations of the Animal Welfare Act related to the treatment of monkeys used in invasive brain experiments."

The document says the experiments were carried out pursuant to contractual agreements between UC Davis and Neuralink. In the letter, which spans more than 700 pages, the Physicians Committee said records it obtained for the 23 monkeys used in the experiments reflect a "pattern of extreme suffering and staff negligence." The committee said that the letter to the USDA is based on nearly 600 pages of what it calls "disturbing" documents released after the committee filed an initial public records lawsuit in 2021.

The lawsuit alleges that monkeys were not provided with adequate veterinary care and that an "unapproved substance" known as BioGlue "killed monkeys by destroying portions of their brains."

In Neuralink's blog, the company said there was "one surgical complication involving the use of the FDA-approved product (BioGlue)," and the monkey was euthanized.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

On 3/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, LD0506 said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Anand Giridharadas @AnandWrites The.Ink I meet a woman in an art studio. She asks what do. Writer, I say. What are you writing? A book on super-rich people who claim to "change the world." Well, are they? she asks. No, say. That's the point of the book. Oh, she said. Later mom. learned she was Elon Musk's'

I think it depends on how you define "change the world"

Musk has a cult following partially because he has (likely on purpose) cultivated an image of a super genius doing things nobody has ever done before. But the reality is that he mostly repackages, revamps and remarkets technologies that already exist. Tesla? Electric cars had been around for quite a while. Launching rockets into space? We've been doing that since the 1950s. Satellite broadband? Been around for decades.

I think he's more of a marketing genius than technology genius. (And he definitely is a marketing genius).

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Musk has a cult following partially because he has (likely on purpose) cultivated an image of a super genius doing things nobody has ever done before. But the reality is that he mostly repackages, revamps and remarkets technologies that already exist. Tesla? Electic cars had been around for quite a while. Launching rockets into space? We've been doing that since the 1950s. Satellite broadband? Been around for decades.

I think he's more of a marketing genius than technology genius. (And he definitely is a marketing genius).

I think this is a little unfair. We are having a car revolution cause of Musk. I also think it's very cool that space X reuses rockets. Not everything he is doing is new or did he invent, but without Tesla, companies would not be switching over to Electric vehicles. 

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I think this is a little unfair. We are having a car revolution cause of Musk. I also think it's very cool that space X reuses rockets. Not everything he is doing is new or did he invent, but without Tesla, companies would not be switching over to Electric vehicles. 

Yeah, but a lot of that is marketing, etc. I'm not saying the stuff he's done isn't important, just that it isn't some insanely revolutionary idea that nobody had ever done before. That's basically how his followers see him, but it's not really very accurate.

Either way, I'm sure now it's only a matter of time before the official ES Elon Musk Fan Club president shows up to scream bloody murder and rage post at my comment.  :ols:

Edited by mistertim

48 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah, but a lot of that is marketing, etc. I'm not saying the stuff he's done isn't important, just that it isn't some insanely revolutionary idea that nobody had ever done before. That's basically how his followers see him, but it's not really very accurate.

Either way, I'm sure now it's only a matter of time before the official ES Elon Musk Fan Club president shows up to scream bloody murder and rage post at my comment.  :ols:

His followers are ridiculous. I might be wrong, but spaceX feels revolutionary to some degree. Also, I don't know what kinda range electric cars from the 80s had, but the ability to extend range has been great. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but I feel like Musk deserves credit somewhere in between you and his followers. 

• Like 2

Musk deserves a different level of slack because of the effort he made to save the US ability to be a player in the space and refusal to give up on us being a multi-planet species. 

If it wasn't for Musk, we'd be asking Russia to get back and forth to ISS in the middle of this Ukraine crap.  Double-down, if he isn't giving NASA a rid to Mars he's going to beat them there himself.

On 3/30/2022 at 10:52 PM, mistertim said:

Musk has a cult following partially because he has (likely on purpose) cultivated an image of a super genius doing things nobody has ever done before. But the reality is that he mostly repackages, revamps and remarkets technologies that already exist. Tesla? Electric cars had been around for quite a while. Launching rockets into space? We've been doing that since the 1950s. Satellite broadband? Been around for decades.

The thing is though, he made all those things better by leaps and bounds. He made owning an electric car practical. He made launching rockets, landing them, and reusable standard operating procedure. Satellite internet has always been slow. He made it fast, and cheaper than the competition.

As far as your “dig” at belittling him as a mere “marketer” well….

You don’t change the world by inventing the light bulb. You change the world by getting everyone to buy one.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:04 PM, mistertim said:

I'm not saying the stuff he's done isn't important, just that it isn't some insanely revolutionary idea that nobody had ever done before.

Ai researchers in the 80’s traveled across the country in a car that drove itself. Just saying. 

54 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

Since Elon now owns less than 10% of Twitter, I can't wait until 5 years from now to hear about how Elon Musk invented Social Media by founding Twitter. Gonna be great.

If you hear that it will be because he transformed it. I’m interested to see what his plans for it are. He didn’t decide to obtain a board seat on a whim. 

I think this is exposing him to a lot of legal risk personally.  He already is lacking friends in the SEC…

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@mistertimElon Musk is so wrong about Starlink that Amazon has decided they’d like their own taste of that huge waste of money and resources on something that, according to you, can’t work. (lol)

https://www.teslarati.com/amazon-project-kuiper-launch-contracts-everyone-but-spacex/

Jesus ****ing Christ. Are you so desperate to defend the dude that you're willing to completely misrepresent pretty much everything I've said? When have I said it didn't work or can't work. Of course it ****ing works. It's been around for decades. Everyone knows LEO satellites work. The point in the past was that you completely and utterly misunderstood and misrepresented how much it could do. Please quote literally anything in that article that goes against anything I've argued on here. With quotes from both of us. I won't hold my breath.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, mistertim said:

No, you don't need 40,000 to do something "useful" or for a proof of concept, which is basically where they're at now. But given the physics and bandwidth requirements that's around the number if they want to provide what they claim. Hell, even Starlnk itself has said it's looking at a number of around 42,000.

The video I posted goes into great detail about how much that would cost as well as the logistics of it. Also, Musk not long ago "revised" his estimate of how much it would cost to do what he wants from $5-10 billion up to $30 billion now. But then he claims the company would be making $30 billion per year in revenue...and that math doesn't add up at all when you compare it with what they'd charge and the amount of bandwidth he's promising.

@mistertim above you claimed that physics and bandwidth requirements make it economically impossible to deliver starlink as envisioned by Musk.

and what I posted was in reference to another company (in the business to make money) choosing to do something you claim is economically impossible.

image.jpeg.dec6b34d30ee63412195e49af0fb0edc.jpeg

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84