Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Robert Davis WR Georgia State

PCS

I like Zach Pascal as well ... should have been drafted.

In the running for the annual "Mo-Harris-out-of-nowhere" trophy.

Pre-season battle among receivers will be fun this year.

In 2 years Skins could be playing Crowder, Doctson, Pascal, Davis, and Harris with Sudfeld throwing the rock.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:43 PM, Redskins Reparations said:

Love Em'! I believe he had the highest SPARQ score in the draft if I am not mistaken. I also drafted him in the ES Mock Draft. Que the Police's "Every breath you take".

Actually he was second, which is AWESOME!  Josh Doctson was sixth in 2016.  Fabian was ranked second among all corners as well.  Fabian was an absolute steal where we got him. Montae also scored highly among safety's (12th). Hail

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/wr/

https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/cb/

“All I can say is I’m a football player,” Davis said. “I don’t even consider myself as just a wide receiver. I consider myself a football player. I feel like I can go out there and make plays on special teams. I’m willing to block. I went to a triple option high school, where that was the only thing we did. I only caught [11] passes my high school career. I mean, blocking was what I did, and I am a skilled blocker. I’m a physical guy and I’m a guy who’s willing to go out there and compete.”  I really like this kid.  Hell, I like nearly every pick this year.  What an unusual, and pleasing, draft.  Hail  

Did you guys see that "Sights and Sounds" video posted on Redskins.com? At 24 seconds in there's a quick clip of Davis running what looked like a hitch route. For a late round guy who is probably somewhat raw with his route running that dude stopped on a freaking dime. The corner didn't show up until literally 2 seconds after he made his break. QB was late with the throw but he still was able to get it and slip past the corner.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:33 PM, mistertim said:

Did you guys see that "Sights and Sounds" video posted on Redskins.com? At 24 seconds in there's a quick clip of Davis running what looked like a hitch route. For a late round guy who is probably somewhat raw with his route running that dude stopped on a freaking dime. The corner didn't show up until literally 2 seconds after he made his break. QB was late with the throw but he still was able to get it and slip past the corner.

Yeah, I saw that, I didn't know that was him at the time. And for a guy that is as big as he is? That's pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis is another one I don't get. Why'd this dude go so late? Seems to have everything. 

Georgia State played in the Sun Belt conference, not exactly great competition he's going against.  He didn't display separation in his routes in college with what you'd expect from his size/speed and his level of competition.  He's very much a work in progress in how to set up what he wants to do without tipping off the corner.  I think we can largely attribute that to playing at Georgia State.

He's a big guy, with good arm length, good hand size, great measurables...but he's not as good of a contested catcher as you'd expect.  He doesn't do what Mike Williams did (drafted 7th overall).  He won't go through a defender to attack the football in the air, preferring rather to shield with his body and run under it.  He does have a large catch radius, but that's displayed more when there's no defender also contesting.

He could be good, but he needs to relearn a lot, or in his case, probably learn for the first time.

18 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Garcon is a selfish asshole. Pryor is a much better guy to be around.

Hell, I'm still bummed that Garcon didn't open a pizza shop in PG county...where they play their games!

Hail Em Up!

On 5/17/2017 at 0:34 PM, BALLz said:

What sucks is this seems like the kinda guy that could have benefited greatly from some Piere Garcon tutelage.

New veterans will step up to take the mentor role. There is more than enough player-coaches on the field. Pryor can set a great example from a work ethic standpoint, Crowder is an excellent display of how to create separation (arguably top 5 in the league) and if nothing else Ryan Grant is a great route runner to learn from if Crowder is busy. You eventually have to let your younger vets step up in that regard.

I always believed that the day that the Redskins can no longer justify letting over-the-hill veterans occupy valuable roster spots, we will really have turned the corner as a franchise. IE: Santana Moss, Kedric Golston, etc. We are definitely there offensively, and almost there on defense I think. There are definitely exceptions to this (London Fletcher) and there is certianly value in having a couple Vets to lead your locker room, but not for the reasons the Redskins have kept guys like that around in recent years (lack of quality talent). At a minimum your vet leaders you do keep need to still be relevant and contributing on gamedays or their voices risk not being as respected. Hard to tell a young guy what to do when you're a bum, better to lead by example.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:04 AM, Darth Tater said:

While in Santana Moss' final year, he was beyond his sell-by date, he definitely did not take a slot in 2012 or 2013 from anybody. I don't remember anybody better available to us in 2014 anyway.

Thats pretty much what I was getting at. The team wasn't good enough to bump him off the roster yet. I think the mark of a good team is one whos depth is made up of young, developing players. When you're able to weather the injury storm via "next man up" and avoid overpaying free agents because you have developed their replacements properly, you're winning more often than not. You're also feeding that farm system with compensatory draft picks too

I think we're finally at that point for the most part on offense, and started the first phase of trying to get there on defense this offseason. We might even already be there at the Corner and OLB positions but its too early to tell. 

42 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

<Pic>

Haha. Hey man, I love Santana as much as anyone! One of my all time favorite skins

On 5/18/2017 at 11:01 PM, DC Lumber Co. said:

New veterans will step up to take the mentor role. There is more than enough player-coaches on the field. Pryor can set a great example from a work ethic standpoint, Crowder is an excellent display of how to create separation (arguably top 5 in the league) and if nothing else Ryan Grant is a great route runner to learn from if Crowder is busy. You eventually have to let your younger vets step up in that regard.

I always believed that the day that the Redskins can no longer justify letting over-the-hill veterans occupy valuable roster spots, we will really have turned the corner as a franchise. IE: Santana Moss, Kedric Golston, etc. We are definitely there offensively, and almost there on defense I think. There are definitely exceptions to this (London Fletcher) and there is certianly value in having a couple Vets to lead your locker room, but not for the reasons the Redskins have kept guys like that around in recent years (lack of quality talent). At a minimum your vet leaders you do keep need to still be relevant and contributing on gamedays or their voices risk not being as respected. Hard to tell a young guy what to do when you're a bum, better to lead by example.

This is what I was arguing in (one of) the Bruce Allen thread. He seems to go for quantity of draft picks and has been working to improve our drafts. I like the quote from Scot about having 10 picks a year. Gruden amended that by saying that he likes to have 10 picks and 10 UDFAs come to camp. I like that. And I also like that our average age under Allen has been around 26 years old, as opposed to it nearing 28 with Vinny. The problem I think is that we rarely have talent competing with talent. Its been a situation like we had with Compton. He was a UDFA who had potential and we had a guy in front of him who was making too much to justify him staying (Riley) so he got cut. Yeah it gets us younger but Compton wasn't a part of a competition to get that job. It seemed like that was the constant situation at S. Even with the DL thats what we've seen. With one group of guys flaming out and another coming in and assuming the starting role. The only guy who really competed for his spot was Baker. Everybody else was a high value signing who was almost guaranteed a job. Then there's Goldston who got the starting job the same way Compton did. 

Archived