Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Someone Needs to tell Cooley to Cool It

Reaper Skins

24 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I mean you guys can believe the media just sits around and thinks up funny and dramatic stories to run with just to get clicks if t makes you feel better. They're getting something from redskins park to make them go with these stories and most of the bad ones over the years have sadly ended up with more truth to them than any of us wanted to believe. 

If the whole Gag order was fabricated it wouldn't be hard for either SM or BA to refute it. It would be the decent thing to do so they don't look like blundering fools that aren't on the same page, at the very least. 

They aren't getting anything though. Instead of finding a story with facts or just writing/talking/tweeting about another dc sports team, they use their imaginations and call it news. I'm not saying all the time, but this thread is about pure imagination

Why do the Redskins owe it a response? Why let the DC media that has been so team friendly in the past (sarcasm) hold you hostage and demand news when you are trying to take care of very important things at the moment

The local media is used to commotion, dysfunction, and leaks coming from Redskins park.  They are used to the loser mentality and the terrible FO decision making.  

Now that there is none of that, they have no clue what to do and how to react.  This is uncharted territory for them.

He can be annoying because he's not too smart about non-football things and also because he is very biased towards Kirk because that's his friend 

This comment was too much. He's always throwing hot takes out and then gets confused when someone blows the story up. 

He's very immature. 

Still his film breakdowns are very valuable 

15 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

haha ex employee of the radio station?

Nobody with the intelligence level of Chris would speculate on somebody having a drinking issue unless that was something that he, like I said, had either seen, heard or was told.”

Everybody knows SM is a recovering alcoholic. That is what this guy is saying makes it alright?

I'm not surprised this came up though. Surprised it came up over SM not talking to the media vs the BJ tweet last year

3 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Vultures are gonna do what vultures are gonna do, and that's what the local media is doing right now. Clean that road kill up off the street as soon as you see it, and they won't have much to sink their beaks into. Let it lie around, and pretty soon, it'll be a vulture block party. 

And you are one of them that's circling. :) 

16 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

And you are one of them that's circling. :) 

What does that mean exactly? 

I despise this kind of crap. I would love to be an organization that doesn't deal with this garbage. There was a time when I was absolutely proud of this team, from top top bottom. I would love to see those days return. 

I'm so sick of the media in this town.. There is such a run to the bottom it's ridiculous.. Mike Jones writes an article, and all the radio and print guys

jump on it like it's chum in the water. Personally I think Mike Jones has an axe to grind with this organization, and that anyone who is so connected to Jason Reid, columns have to be taken with a grain of salt.. Bram Weinstein is the most negative person concerning the Redskins I've ever seen.. He seems to find a boogie man behind every corner..  They say the fans of this franchise are erratic and "donks" however, I believe the media in this market are a bunch of "naysayers" and pessimists.  Let this team grown on their own.. Two straight winning seasons should count for something, before firing the Coach, GM for "drinking" with no proof, and releasing or trading the franchise QB, before playing a damn down in 2017

1 hour ago, Gibbit said:

They aren't getting anything though. Instead of finding a story with facts or just writing/talking/tweeting about another dc sports team, they use their imaginations and call it news. I'm not saying all the time, but this thread is about pure imagination

Why do the Redskins owe it a response? Why let the DC media that has been so team friendly in the past (sarcasm) hold you hostage and demand news when you are trying to take care of very important things at the moment

When did he call it news? He is a fan talking from a fan perspective as to what or why McCloughan would be given a gag order. It's not an ordinary situation for a GM to not be allowed to talk to the media so it begs the question, why? 

I'm not as outraged as others because when you consider the actual bizarre act of Scot being told not to talk to the media to begin with, there are only a handful of logical explanations to jump to. I think

drinking happens to be the least likely but I don't have a problem with the possibility being discussed. 

Somewhat related - People just hate bad news and choose to ignore it. We have a whole section on the forum devoted to the good news or the puff piece feel good stories but anytime those same reporters have inside information that might be negative or paint a beloved in a bad light, well THEN the media makes everything up and is vindictive looking to get even with their sensationalist stories. 

Again, CC didn't even report this as fact or sources etc. he just briefly discussed it as a possibility. 

You guys are too sensitive   

23 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm not as outraged as others because when you consider the actual bizarre act of Scot being told not to talk to the media to begin with, there are only a handful of logical explanations to jump to. I think

drinking happens to be the least likely but I don't have a problem with the possibility being discussed. 

You clearly don't know anyone who has endured battles with alcoholism (although I bet you are gonna say you have). Otherwise you would be a little more sympathetic to something like this. If it were true then Cooley shouldn't be spewing a man's personal struggles to the public like it's an episode of The Bachelor. What Cooley is doing with the insinuations is publicly shaming Scott because his drinking is preventing the media from getting answers and because it's preventing the redskins for conducting business so that the media have something to talk about. Media don't care about a person's health or welfare when it comes to their job.

as I've said before, if it were true then it's bigger than football. So if Cooley is gonna use a man's struggles as a means to give him something to talk about then it's lazy - a trait that Cooley is very familiar with.

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

So Cooley is little more than a trained monkey?...If the "Front Office" tells him to spread the rumor that Scot is back to drinking again, he'll do so, no problem? If Scot's NOT back to drinking, I can't think of a ****tier thing to do to someone. If Scot IS back to drinking, then you are holding his head underwater by spreading the story instead of giving him the chance to at least come up for air. There's no way to spin this as "Cooley is only doing what he's being told to do...it's those rat ****s at Redskins Park..."

Cooley looks bad either way for tossing this into the narrative. What a stupid perspective that article promoted.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

When did he call it news? He is a fan talking from a fan perspective as to what or why McCloughan would be given a gag order. It's not an ordinary situation for a GM to not be allowed to talk to the media so it begs the question, why? 

Somewhat related - People just hate bad news and choose to ignore it. We have a whole section on the forum devoted to the good news or the puff piece feel good stories but anytime those same reporters have inside information that might be negative or paint a beloved in a bad light, well THEN the media makes everything up and is vindictive looking to get even with their sensationalist stories. 

Again, CC didn't even report this as fact or sources etc. he just briefly discussed it as a possibility. 

You guys are too sensitive   

You really consider Cooley a fan lol...

the man is paid by the organization 

"Cooley said the team’s scouting department has been “working relentlessly” in recent weeks, and that McCloughan might actually be occupied with work. Cooley said no one has told him that McCloughan is being muzzled, and that he doesn’t want to ask anyone about the topic “so I don’t have to protect anybody” He said he was merely acting as a fan or radio host on this matter, using uninformed guesswork, “because I really don’t know.” But he also publicly floated a pretty inflammatory suggestion, more than once.

“It’s a totally intuitive reaction from anybody that knows the history of Scot McCloughan,” co-host Kevin Sheehan said.

“It’s totally fair — and it’s nothing that I’ve heard or been told,” Cooley added.

You have to PURPOSEFULLY ignore those parts in bold--and especially the underlined parts--in order to start believing this story as truth behind it. The only reason that makes any sense to me whatsoever is that you would WANT it to be true. For some reason.

11 minutes ago, onedrop said:

or, its not, and thats why it was removed...?

here is the real story....warning, some R rated language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U4Ha9HQvMo

:rofl89::rofl89:

Good lort, that is one million percent dead on accurate.

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You have to PURPOSEFULLY ignore those parts in bold--and especially the underlined parts--in order to start believing this story as truth behind it. The only reason that makes any sense to me whatsoever is that you would WANT it to be true. For some reason.

Perhaps, but potential defamation like this catches on like wildfire in media to the point where it's no longer about Cooley's "Uniformed" opinion but about whether or not Scott is off the wagon. That's a ton of stress on a recovering alcoholic, when suddenly everywhere you go, especially in Washington, will be about whether or not you fell. You'll hear it from the Steven A Smiths and Skip Bayless' of the world who don't care about verifying rumors so long as it's something controversial they can rant about. 

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Perhaps, but potential defamation like this catches on like wildfire in media to the point where it's no longer about Cooley's "Uniformed" opinion but about whether or not Scott is off the wagon. That's a ton of stress on a recovering alcoholic, when suddenly everywhere you go, especially in Washington, will be about whether or not you fell. You'll hear it from the Steven A Smiths and Skip Bayless' of the world who don't care about verifying rumors so long as it's something controversial they can rant about. 

That  part in bold is one big reason I think it was insanely irresponsible for Cooley to throw that out into the offseason discussion, regardless of whether or not he was just "guessing as a fan" or was "told to say it" by someone connected to the Redskins. 

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That  part in bold is one big reason I think it was insanely irresponsible for Cooley to throw that out into the offseason discussion, regardless of whether or not he was just "guessing as a fan" or was "told to say it" by someone connected to the Redskins. 

IT bothers me. Not just this but how the entire Redskins family has treated Scott, including here at ES. It's insane how much he's being criticized and judged for the last couple of drafts and the FAs. Everyone claiming he ****ed up the Cousins situation when EVERY GM would have done the same thing last year regarding the tag. So many armchair QBs here. Anyone who views this Cooley debacle as anything but a slap in the face of Scott needs to step back and realize that this isn't about football. 

Scott is a damned good GM, he's got the track record to prove it. He, IMO, is a more important piece of the puzzle than Cousins, or Gruden or anyone. We are coming off two winning seasons and are in the best cap shape we've been in a long long time. This is probably the healthiest and brightest Skins team in as long as I can remember in terms of young talent and success. It seems as if too many are judging him by how he didn't sign Cousins last year and how Doctson suffered freakish injury issues throughout the year. Anyone who knows anything about football knows a formidable team doesn't just happen overnight and considering where we stand now versus where we stood the year before Scott came aboard, it's a slap in the face to even question him as a brilliant football mind. 

My biggest concern over the whole thing is that the organization leaked him info for the purpose of unsettling McC.

Far fetched and nonsensical, but we have seen far fetched nonsense from our owner before.

This is the guy who left a half gallon of vanilla ice cream to melt on Mike Nolan's desk when he didn't like the defense.

Even if it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to do so.

And unfortunately again, we have seen an utter lack of sense from this owner before.

If that bit of paranoia isn't true, then Cooley needs to be reprimanded and that should be it.

I haven't listened much this week, but i do note he wasn't on when i did. 

A little suspension, maybe?

~Bang

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

it's a slap in the face to even question him as a brilliant football mind. 

Beginning to think we have really ****ty fans. DC media is mostly awful, has been for a long time. Now our fans are turning on a GM we don't deserve to have. Many reasons why our team sucks, the hostile fan base and media are the main culprits.

15 minutes ago, Bang said:

If that bit of paranoia isn't true...

To me, it doesn't matter if it's true or not...it's irresponsible and callous either way. Especially with all the times he mentioned that he has no inside info whatsoever and hasn't heard a peep about Scot, he's just guessing because he feels Scot's history gives him the right to bring this up. It doesn't.

Archived