Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

35 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

We had better get some starting pitching and table setters next year or we're truly ****ed. 

We say that every year though.  Same story, different season.

I think we really missed out when Dexter Fowler didnt come.  This team could use a guy at the top that doesnt strike out and gets on at a .350-.370 clip.  I dont know where that guy comes from now.

Last time they had competent starting pitching, they won 96 and went to the ALCS.  

47 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

It's not looking good. Mark Trumbo complained about pies and then they stopped winning...

...probably just a coincidence. 

I know he was visibly upset about getting pied, but did he actually say something about it?

If "no pies" is enough to send this team into a tailspin, we have some mental midgets on this team.

The fan in me wants them to finish strong, secure a winning record, 3rd in the division, and maybe make the wild card race interesting into the last week of the season (even though anyone not named Dan Duquette knows they have zero shot of making the playoffs at this point).

But then that would just embolden the front office to jerk around in the offseason and sign scrubs off the scrap heap to plug huge holes, give up first round picks to gamble with restricted free agents, and hold onto dead weight like Trumbo and Davis, all under the delusion that we've got a real shot in the final year of our Manny window.

So I just don't care anymore about this season.  Was going to go to a couple games next week to close out the summer, but I don't even feel like it at this point.  Thanks Orioles for the good parts of 2017: a terrific first 6 weeks, the convincing sweep of the Rangers after the All-Star Break, the great run at the end of August, Manny's walkoffs, the huge steps forward by Schoop and Mancini, the deadline acquisition of Beckham.  I'm out.

Good game tonight. Guys pitching themselves off the team (Miley, Wright and Rich Rod) and one young pitcher looking to win a job for next year in the bullpen in Yac. 

Hays struggled today but I view that as the product of him not playing at all. 

The highlight of the game, and if you didn't see it, I recommend catching the highlights, Sisco roping a double then blasting a home run. What a sweet swing he has. It was worth the blow out just to see that. 

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

The fan in me wants them to finish strong, secure a winning record, 3rd in the division, and maybe make the wild card race interesting into the last week of the season (even though anyone not named Dan Duquette knows they have zero shot of making the playoffs at this point).

But then that would just embolden the front office to jerk around in the offseason and sign scrubs off the scrap heap to plug huge holes, give up first round picks to gamble with restricted free agents, and hold onto dead weight like Trumbo and Davis, all under the delusion that we've got a real shot in the final year of our Manny window.

So I just don't care anymore about this season.  Was going to go to a couple games next week to close out the summer, but I don't even feel like it at this point.  Thanks Orioles for the good parts of 2017: a terrific first 6 weeks, the convincing sweep of the Rangers after the All-Star Break, the great run at the end of August, Manny's walkoffs, the huge steps forward by Schoop and Mancini, the deadline acquisition of Beckham.  I'm out.

Yeah, I feel this.

I'll still watch games because....well, baseball.  And Orioles.  In a month I'll be ****ing about how there's no more Orioles.  The offseason is entirely too long.  

O's getting thumped again in NY. The positives: Hays started, got his first hit and looks to be settling down. Sisco looks super calm at the plate. I'm fully in the trade Manny and Britton this off-season. I don't think the O's will pony up for either so no reason to keep them. 

14 hours ago, Hersh said:

O's getting thumped again in NY. The positives: Hays started, got his first hit and looks to be settling down. Sisco looks super calm at the plate. I'm fully in the trade Manny and Britton this off-season. I don't think the O's will pony up for either so no reason to keep them. 

I'd at least like to see an effort to keep Manny.  

Blow the rest of it up.  

Ok, how's this for next year:

1st - Mancini - need to work on your defense some, Trey

2nd - Schoop

SS - Beckham

3rd - Manny

Outfielders - Jones, Hay, Santander, Rickard, Gentry (?)

Pitchers - Not Ubaldo, Not Miley, Not Hellickson, Not Tillman, Not Wright (missing anyone?)

Maybe keep Trumbo for DH and let Mr. Strikeout-looking (Davis in case you were wondering) walk

2 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Ok, how's this for next year:

1st - Mancini - need to work on your defense some, Trey

2nd - Schoop

SS - Beckham

3rd - Manny

Outfielders - Jones, Hay, Santander, Rickard, Gentry (?)

Pitchers - Not Ubaldo, Not Miley, Not Hellickson, Not Tillman, Not Wright (missing anyone?)

Maybe keep Trumbo for DH and let Mr. Strikeout-looking (Davis in case you were wondering) walk

I'm not sure how you don't keep Trumbo and/or Davis.  I mean, I'd like to see both of them gone but we'd end up eating a lot of those salaries and I'm not sure if the FO is willing to do that.   It's not as simple as letting Davis just walk, he's tied to a large, long term contract.  I'd also prefer to keep Davis simply because there's a better separation between his batting average and on base percentage.  Any on base percentage that Trumbo has is propped up by his batting average.  Davis, despite having a lower batting average than Trumbo this year has a better on base percentage by about 20 points.  Davis, consistently, has about .100 points separation between his batting average and on base percentage.  If he could somehow hit .250, his on base would be .350.  Yeah, he costs more but I think we're a better defensive team with him at 1st and a better outfielder in right (not Trumbo).  Honestly, I'd keep Davis for the defense.  I'm not sure what the metrics are but for a big man he's extremely agile around the bag and can pick it.  He's saved Manny's ass a lot of times by being slick with the glove.  

I'd let Hays have every opportunity to win the starting RF job and try to find some at bats for Santander to see if he's legit as well.  Gentry and Rickard are expendable.

Anyway, this all doesn't mean anything without the pitching completely revamped.  Not Tyler Wilson, either, I never want to see that guy in an Orioles uniform again.

I fear that the Orioles will slip back into the abyss (they should be fun to watch from an offensive perspective though) until they figure out how to draft and develop some of their own starters.  I think you need two guys that can step in and be anywhere from 1-3 starters in your rotation if you're not going to go out and spend big bucks in FA on a starter.  We've got one with Bundy, I'd say he's a great #2. 

Archived