Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

I don't understand why Davis hits 6th. I mean, other than Buck's stubborn loyalty to older players. 

Seriously, I do not get why they brought Hays up when Bowie was in the playoffs and Buck had no intention of playing him regularly. Estrada is tougher on lefties and Trumbo playing in RF makes no sense at this point. 

Davis and Trumbo have been whopping disappointments.  I didn't expect Trumbo to match what he did last year but I felt that 30 homers was a safe bet.  Same with Davis.

Ugh, just...ugh.  Manny and Schoop....Manny and Schoop....keep em here forever, do what it takes.  Back up the truck.  I've long resigned that Manny won't be here long term, he just seems too good for this franchise.  Gotta try, though.

Glad we got Beckham, but it's time to blow this thing up this offseason, once and for all and keep Manny and Schoop here.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Davis and Trumbo have been whopping disappointments.  I didn't expect Trumbo to match what he did last year but I felt that 30 homers was a safe bet.  Same with Davis.

Ugh, just...ugh.  Manny and Schoop....Manny and Schoop....keep em here forever, do what it takes.  Back up the truck.  I've long resigned that Manny won't be here long term, he just seems too good for this franchise.  Gotta try, though.

Glad we got Beckham, but it's time to blow this thing up this offseason, once and for all and keep Manny and Schoop here.

I would be satisfied if Davis could at least be in that .250-.270 area, which he's capable of.  This .220 version is brutal to watch. I thought the Adderall (or whatever it was he takes) was supposed to be helping him.

We basically got duped by Trumbo.  He's just not that great.  If they could get somebody to take him, you could roll out Alvarez as DH for pennies and get the exact same production.  

4 hours ago, DM72 said:

IMO, Davis still gets a pass for his lack of production while Trumbo gets raked through the coals. At least Trumbo occasionally comes through in big moments. Davis rarely ever does.

I actually think it's the exact opposite cuz of Davis' contract, track record, and strikeouts.  He gets much more heat tgan Trumbo. I dont think Trumbo gets much flack at all.  He's just kinda there.

The real problem is the front office. Two times they had the opportunity to not create an unnecessary log jam at the DH/1st position and allocate money elsewhere. Before Davis was resigned, the O's had traded for Trumbo and had Mancini and Walker as potential first basemen. Seemed clear that the right decision was to let CD walk, collect a draft pick and allocate funds elsewhere. Then last off-season, AFTER Mancini had that amazing performance to close the season, they had the opportunity to let Trumbo walk and have Mancini step into the DH role.

Obviously the killer is the Davis contract, but hopefully they will at least right the ship partially and trade Trumbo. It's a small movable contract in which they don't have to ask for much of anything in return like a player to be named later. While Mancini has done a solid job in LF, I'd still rather have speed in the corner OFs and the O's seemingly have the prospects to transition to this over the next year.

Really big 14 months coming up for the O's that will shape the team for the next 5-10 years.  

I can understand that. The only real problem was negotiating against themselves. Cruz would have cost 4 years $60 million but that was too much so they went the next off-season to 7 years, $160 million. They did the same exact thing with Andrew Miller leaving then the following off-season signing O'Day for a similar contract. 

If CD was making around $15 million per season, it would be a lot less of an issue. 

Rickard and his .233 average against RHP starting today over Austin Hays is just as baffling as Trumbo starting in RF yesterday. I get Hays not playing every night, but damn he should be getting in there over Rickard and playing a couple games here and there. 

6 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Buck is starting to lose this fan base.

100% agree.

He could win it back quickly if he started playing Hays, Sisco and giving Santander some at-bats. Not every game, but they should all start half the remaining games.  

13 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Should've traded ****ing Britton last offseason.  I was in the trade camp but a couple of you disagreed vehemently.  What say you now?

This team is so weak.  Most erratic hitting team I've ever seen.  Trade Chris Davis for an incense stick.

Lol...Totally agree, but as for Britton, no one here made the decision to not trade him.

But I agree with everything else you said. This team IS weak. Buck needs to go. We need a culture change. Let him "resign".

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Should've traded ****ing Britton last offseason.  I was in the trade camp but a couple of you disagreed vehemently.  What say you now?

This team is so weak.  Most erratic hitting team I've ever seen.  Trade Chris Davis for an incense stick.

Kinda of ridiculous. Did you see Brad Brach blow saves this season? 6 in 23 chances. If y'all want to trade guys cause they might get hurt, just start cheering for the A's or Tampa or San Diego because that is exactly how you never win a world series. They could have gotten more for Manny last off-season, did you want to trade him too?  

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Kinda of ridiculous. Did you see Brad Brach blow saves this season? 6 in 23 chances. If y'all want to trade guys cause they might get hurt, just start cheering for the A's or Tampa or San Diego because that is exactly how you never win a world series. They could have gotten more for Manny last off-season, did you want to trade him too?  

Bottom line is you sell high every time.  Closers have a short shelf life and the chances of Britton continuing at that pace of success was slim.  It wasn't about him getting injured, it was about getting a bundle of good prospects, which we desperately need, for one player.  I take that deal.  Now we get nada.  Not a wise choice by the front office.

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

If your goal is never to win a World Series. 

Not really sure how we now get nada for Britton. He still has lots of value. 

I dunno, I guess we just agree to disagree.  I knew Britton was going to fall off and sure enough he did.  He's turning 30 in December.  Our farm system was/is bare and we weren't exactly contending for a World Series.  I am not expecting a lot in return for him.

Just now, abdcskins said:

I dunno, I guess we just agree to disagree.  I knew Britton was going to fall off and sure enough he did.  He's turning 30 in December.  Our farm system was/is bare and we weren't exactly contending for a World Series.  I am not expecting a lot in return for him.

My thinking was that if you are only going to have Manny for two more years, play to win. Having thought like that, given the year the O's were having, I was ready to sell in July starting with Britton. I think Britton will get moved this off-season and the O's will get a good return. He's still elite and teams like the Astros and Dodgers and maybe the Nats will all still be looking for bullpen help.

Speaking of trading, the O's need to make their best offer to Manny and if he doesn't sign, trade him this off-season as well. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Of course.  But can he hit .290 with 25 homers?

Anything's possible, but personally I doubt it. .290 would be 50 points higher than where he should be. But I guess he could be a late bloomer though. Maybe he found his mojo in Baltimore.  15-20 HRs seems more plausible though.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Anything's possible, but personally I doubt it. .290 would be 50 points higher than where he should be. But I guess he could be a late bloomer though. Maybe he found his mojo in Baltimore.  15-20 HRs seems more plausible though.

I mean, he's at 21 across two teams this year, he should be entering his prime.  I think with consistent at bats and playing time in a new environment he can do really well.  I'm not saying he's gonna hit like Jeter or anything but he should be pretty good.  

Archived