Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

I think Hardy moves on and I'm very appreciative for what he did in Baltimore. He gave solidity to the SS position and we as fans never had to worry about who was playing there or what was happening at SS. I will add this though. If it comes to to keeping Hardy or Buck's son Flaherty as a utility guy, I'd rather have Hardy even if he can't play all the positions Flaherty can.

This has to be the worst starting pitching in Os history.   Only two starters (Bundy and Gausman) have ERAs below 5.   Miley is 5.52, then everyone else is over 6.  Only year I thought might have been worse was '88, but that year Mike Boddicker was our 'ace' with 3.86, followed by two guys in the low-mids 4s (one of whom was named Jose Bautista :P must have forgotten about this guy), then two guys in the 5s.  

Yeah the 80s had somehwat less scoring, but even considering ERA+ (which adjusts for the era), the numbers for our sterters are 101, 93, 78, 63, 62, 56  this year vs. 101, 91, 89, 72, 71 in '88   Pretty much the same in the first two, but then disaster in 3 to 6.     

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Who would look good with this starting rotation and Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo? 

Some might argue that Buck stubbornness by keep running Davis and Trumbo out there didn't help.

41 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Who would look good with this starting rotation and Chris Davis and Mark Trumbo? 

This is what it boils down to, IMO.

Davis and Trumbo were terrible but Buck also answers to the FO and that's a lot of money spent that ownership would be pissed about if it were left on the bench.  I'll also still maintain that Davis at first base makes us a better defensive team than any other configuration.  Trumbo needs to go.

The rotation was absolutely awful.  I have no idea how they can make it better before next year.  I predict that you'll have a bunch of guys in the rotation after Bundy and Gausman that are unproven types like Castro.  Cheap, lots of upside.  You'll have another Miley type, a veteran guy who's lucky to go 5 innings with crappy stuff.  

Basically, I don't see how it gets much better next year unless there's a massive overhaul which is something the Orioles never do.  

Btw, with the exception of a couple good months, Machado doesn't get a pass either. He's got to be a .300+ hitter. 

23 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Some might argue that Buck stubbornness by keep running Davis and Trumbo out there didn't help.

He sat them a fair amount in September but they weren't going to get benched before that given the roster. 

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is what it boils down to, IMO.

Davis and Trumbo were terrible but Buck also answers to the FO and that's a lot of money spent that ownership would be pissed about if it were left on the bench.  I'll also still maintain that Davis at first base makes us a better defensive team than any other configuration.  Trumbo needs to go.

The rotation was absolutely awful.  I have no idea how they can make it better before next year.  I predict that you'll have a bunch of guys in the rotation after Bundy and Gausman that are unproven types like Castro.  Cheap, lots of upside.  You'll have another Miley type, a veteran guy who's lucky to go 5 innings with crappy stuff.  

Basically, I don't see how it gets much better next year unless there's a massive overhaul which is something the Orioles never do.  

Well, they certainly have plenty of money to spend. Per your comment on the Royals in MLB: what a huge mistake they made not selling at the deadline. They easily set themselves back a few years 

7 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Well, they certainly have plenty of money to spend. Per your comment on the Royals in MLB: what a huge mistake they made not selling at the deadline. They easily set themselves back a few years 

I agree, but I think they had a hot streak like we did that made them a believer at one point.  I'm not sure what their farm system looks like.

Yeah the Orioles do have some money to spend.  I'd like to give some of it to Manny but I doubt that happens,

It'll be unforgivable if they let Manny AND Schoop go.  I figure Manny goes but if Schoop goes too in a few years....

This is one of those situations where this season needed to happen.  They needed to finish in last place looking how they looked.  No Buck managerial magic or guys playing above their heads making us think they're better than they are going into next season.  Last place team with a last place roster.  They need to treat this offseason accordingly.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

This is one of those situations where this season needed to happen.  They needed to finish in last place looking how they looked.  No Buck managerial magic or guys playing above their heads making us think they're better than they are going into next season.  Last place team with a last place roster.  They need to treat this offseason accordingly.

Yeah, I agree with this.  If we'd won 83 games we'd be fooling ourselves.  

I'm actually surprised we won 75 games with the pitching we had.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-adam-jones-20171001-story.html

Personally, I dont care for this.  A) Because I feel like there's a chain of command.  But B ) because Jones playing player/GM doesnt work for me, as evidenced by the track record of other things he advocated for.

Jones has campaigned Angelos to keep core players over the previous two offseasons, pushing for the Orioles to re-sign first baseman Chris Davis and reliever Darren O’Day two winters ago and then again to keep designated hitter Mark Trumbo last offseason.

“This offseason, I think I’ll be an advocate; there’s a lot of things,” Jones said. “A lot of things that need to be done. We’ve got a lot of money coming off the books this offseason. We also have a lot of question marks after next year, so I’m going to get away from this game and recalculate how I approach Mr. Angelos.”

35 minutes ago, justice98 said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-adam-jones-20171001-story.html

Personally, I dont care for this.  A) Because I feel like there's a chain of command.  But B) because Jones playing player/GM doesnt work for me, as evidenced by the track record of other things he advocated for.

I don't care for it, either.  On the flip side, I'm happy that he cares.  His priorities might be out of whack but I love the passion.  

7 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Starting pitchers (maybe a couple of leftys) and some on base percentage type guys please. 

Well, as it pertains to OBP, the lineup seems set going into next season. Seems like they're handing RF to Hays or Santander, so unless it's a backup outfielder that barely plays, it wont be there.  There's no open slots in the infield, except for catcher.  Sisco got on base at a nice clip in the minors, but he aint batting at the top of the order in the bigs.  

But interestingly enough, the O's were a top 3rd to top half team in all of MLB in OBP every year between 2011 and 2017.  That kinda surprised me. 

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

I know all about the pitching, but how did we end up dead last? The final day of the season was the only day this team was in last place all season.

Where was the pride these last few weeks?

They totally mailed it in.

Higher draft pick is the silver lining here.  I guess.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

They totally mailed it in.

Higher draft pick is the silver lining here.  I guess.

That's why I'm not totally sold on Adam Jones as this great team leader. As a team leader, you can't let the team mail it in like that.

Archived