Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Baltimore Orioles Thread - We suck again!

MattFancy

46 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

He would have a below average MLB arm. Not like he'd be Khris Davis out there though.  But hey, short porch in right field at OPACY. 

Not buying the DJ Stewart hype.  While he does have a good separation between the BA and OBP (signs of a good batting eye and a patient approach) it's taken him FOREVER to get to this point.  And while it's nice that he has, I'm assuming that he's usually been older than the average player in his leagues.  He'll be 24 already headed into next season.  Then again, Mancini is 25.  

But whatever, maybe he's a late bloomer.  More interested in Sisco, Hays, Mullins, etc.  

48 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Not buying the DJ Stewart hype.  While he does have a good separation between the BA and OBP (signs of a good batting eye and a patient approach) it's taken him FOREVER to get to this point.  And while it's nice that he has, I'm assuming that he's usually been older than the average player in his leagues.  He'll be 24 already headed into next season.  Then again, Mancini is 25.  

I get that Sisco has been the prospect on the radar for a bit. I get that Hayes has been a ROCKET through the system and he will get a shot at a job next spring. (He looks like Jeff Conine). 

I just love DJ. He had to rebuild his swing from scratch in the minors. But he hit in high A. He's hit at Bowie this year. He has 20 stolen bases (24 attempts) but he looks like a tree trunk. You see him and just see a ball player. 

24 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I get that Sisco has been the prospect on the radar for a bit. I get that Hayes has been a ROCKET through the system and he will get a shot at a job next spring. (He looks like Jeff Conine). 

I just love DJ. He had to rebuild his swing from scratch in the minors. But he hit in high A. He's hit at Bowie this year. He has 20 stolen bases (24 attempts) but he looks like a tree trunk. You see him and just see a ball player. 

Hey, I root for anyone in an Orioles uniform and in the system.  I hope DJ can make it.  Having TOO many prospects isn't a bad thing, and something we're not used to. :) 

The good thing about having DJ, Mullins, Mountcastle, Reyes, Hunter Harvey, and some other now interesting prospects, the O's can have enough to trade for good starting pitching if need be. That's how Boston has gotten their now two best rotation guys. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

The good thing about having DJ, Mullins, Mountcastle, Reyes, Hunter Harvey, and some other now interesting prospects, the O's can have enough to trade for good starting pitching if need be. That's how Boston has gotten their now two best rotation guys. 

The broadcast tonight said that Baseball America has them ranked 15th now, previously the were 30th or something.  

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The broadcast tonight said that Baseball America has them ranked 15th now, previously the were 30th or something.  

If the O's move Britton and Manny, they will have a top-5 minor league system and about $85 million off the books in the off-season. 

6 hours ago, Hersh said:

If the O's move Britton and Manny, they will have a top-5 minor league system and about $85 million off the books in the off-season. 

Never thought I'd see you on the trade bandwagon, this is weird for me.

I'm in favor of moving Britton for sure, that should have been done 12-16 months ago.  I'd really like to keep Manny.  If that's 55 off the books instead of 85 off the books instead, I'm ok with it.

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And they did that without making a single trade of consequence to restock it like dumping Britton.  Felt like a few months ago people thought we were barren.  

According to Baseball America, in 2015, they were 28th, 27th in 2016, 27th again in Feb 2017.  

Following their ascent, they were 23rd after the draft this year.  The post trade deadline updated rankings are under the pay wall, but if they said it on the broadcast they had their system 15th, there you go.

Just now, justice98 said:

And they did that without making a single trade of consequence to restock it like dumping Britton.  Felt like a few months ago people thought we were barren.  

According to Baseball America, in 2015, they were 28th, 27th in 2016, 27th again in Feb 2017.  

Following their ascent, they were 23rd after the draft this year.  The post trade deadline updated rankings are under the pay wall, but the aforementioned Bleacher Report rankings had their system 15th, so BA is probably somewhere in that neighborhood, give or take.

Well, what a difference a season makes, amiright? :) 

Really hoping Hays is the OD right fielder for 2018.  Even if Joseph is the OD catcher with Sisco backing him up to start the year, I'm ok with that.  @Hersh isn't Sisco's defense behind the plate suspect?  I think I remember reading that his throwing arm isn't the best.  

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Never thought I'd see you on the trade bandwagon, this is weird for me.

I'm in favor of moving Britton for sure, that should have been done 12-16 months ago.  I'd really like to keep Manny.  If that's 55 off the books instead of 85 off the books instead, I'm ok with it.

I'm just at the point where I know the O's won't actually sign either long term and since they won't spend on starting pitching either, gotta do it. I'd much rather see the O's be able to afford Machado no problem and slide him to SS as soon as Mountcastle is ready at the beginning of 2019. I'd rather Britton be a hall of fame closer for the O's the rest of his career and move guys like Brach, but we just know this won't be the case. 

We are in this position now because of Peter Angelos and somewhat DD. 

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, what a difference a season makes, amiright? :) 

Really hoping Hays is the OD right fielder for 2018.  Even if Joseph is the OD catcher with Sisco backing him up to start the year, I'm ok with that.  @Hersh isn't Sisco's defense behind the plate suspect?  I think I remember reading that his throwing arm isn't the best.  

The reports are that he has gotten better and the second half of the minor league season he threw out 36% of runners. 

Just now, Hersh said:

I'm just at the point where I know the O's won't actually sign either long term and since they won't spend on starting pitching either, gotta do it. I'd much rather see the O's be able to afford Machado no problem and slide him to SS as soon as Mountcastle is ready at the beginning of 2019. I'd rather Britton be a hall of fame closer for the O's the rest of his career and move guys like Brach, but we just know this won't be the case. 

We are in this position now because of Peter Angelos and somewhat DD. 

Dude, I totally get that.  But I think they have a better chance of signing Machado long term because he's not as much of a risk as spending on starting pitching.  That's where, I think, Angelos gets gunshy about shelling out big bucks....he's gunshy about bringing in a starting pitcher who can blow out their arm and need Tommy John.  I think he's more apt to spending money on a guy who's a future hall of fame third baseman in order to keep fans happy.  

That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.  

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude, I totally get that.  But I think they have a better chance of signing Machado long term because he's not as much of a risk as spending on starting pitching.  That's where, I think, Angelos gets gunshy about shelling out big bucks....he's gunshy about bringing in a starting pitcher who can blow out their arm and need Tommy John.  I think he's more apt to spending money on a guy who's a future hall of fame third baseman in order to keep fans happy.  

That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.  

That's a good point, but Machado is going to get big offers. Do you risk him walking for nothing in return if he doesn't sign an extension? I get the feeling that's exactly what the O's will do and the O's won't get anything in return.  

35 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That's a good point, but Machado is going to get big offers. Do you risk him walking for nothing in return if he doesn't sign an extension? I get the feeling that's exactly what the O's will do and the O's won't get anything in return.  

Yeah, I think that's what they'll do, too.

My other hope is if they fail to lock him up this offseason they try to trade him at the deadline next summer.  The O's open up the bidding on him and allow teams to negotiate a long term deal with him before trading (that's allowed, right?) before pulling the trigger.  We'll get a good return.

I would like to say I'd go ****ing ape**** if they let him walk but I think I'm just resigned to the fact that this'll probably happen and we'll just get a comp pick.  It's been coming for three years, no need to get mad about it, just depressed.  

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, I think that's what they'll do, too.

My other hope is if they fail to lock him up this offseason they try to trade him at the deadline next summer.  The O's open up the bidding on him and allow teams to negotiate a long term deal with him before trading (that's allowed, right?) before pulling the trigger.  We'll get a good return.

I think the O's should offer 10/330 with two opt outs (after 4 and 8 years) (bigger AAV year the year after those opt outs) then two additional vesting options at 35 million each. Max value of 12/400. He may get a little more from another team after the 2018 season, but he would have an opportunity to get paid like a free agent one year earlier. So that is worth something. And he could roll into a second massive deal like ARod got from the Yanks after 4 years at 30 years old or 8 years at 34.  

If he turns it down and doesn't want to negotiate from there right away, then you know where you sit with him and can make a decision then. 

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I think the O's should offer 10/330 with two opt outs (after 4 and 8 years) (bigger AAV year the year after those opt outs) then two additional vesting options at 35 million each. Max value of 12/400. He may get a little more from another team after the 2018 season, but he would have an opportunity to get paid like a free agent one year earlier. So that is worth something. And he could roll into a second massive deal like ARod got from the Yanks after 4 years at 30 years old or 8 years at 34.  

If he turns it down and doesn't want to negotiate from there right away, then you know where you sit with him and can make a decision then. 

Wouldn't be opposed to any of it, but I'd really hesitate at 12/400.  

One good thing is that Stanton has finally produced a season like he's being paid for.  Manny might NOT be able to get more than Stanton money now.  I hope, at least.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wouldn't be opposed to any of it, but I'd really hesitate at 12/400.  

One good thing is that Stanton has finally produced a season like he's being paid for.  Manny might NOT be able to get more than Stanton money now.  I hope, at least.

The thing is that 12/400 likely will never happen. Stanton's actually been really CHEAP in the first 3 years of that deal as the dollars are back loaded. They're going to ship him somewhere eventually. He was paid next to nothing in the first 3 years and has an opt out after 2020 (which he'll probably take or leverage somehow). 

Machado puts up two MVP seasons (or one after year 2 of that deal) as he hits the peak of his peak and he's opting and renegotiating at 4 years for sure. And that's fine. At that point he's been here for 10 years -- much less drama and the birds will be figuring out where they are in a full rebuild anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do the O's really need Machado? That to me is the question. Or is there enough without him so long as the O's spend and build the rotation?

Lets not get carried away. We need Machado. Guys like him don't grow on trees. But if we can get a hull for him, you make the deal. 

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do the O's really need Machado? That to me is the question. Or is there enough without him so long as the O's spend and build the rotation?

Yeah, we need that guy.  I mean if you're gonna spend, it's probably the safest money you can spend in the offseason.  I know we need the pitching but it's just so hard to pay a guy who could blow out his elbow any second.  Probably have to do it, though.

16 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No Machado and Beckham tonight?  My interest in this game is quickly deteriorated.

I watch strictly for the young players to see what they do. Great learning experience for Hays. Really hope Sisco gets to start soon. Miley sucks. He has definitely pitched his was out of his option getting picked up. 

Archived