Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per JLC on Twitter, Gruden getting rid of ENTIRE defensive staff

Alaskins

2 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Neither will a guy who can only build a defense when he has uber talent.

@Peregrine

Maybe so but he probably wanted a guy who he felt could get the most out of the talent he had and develop guys who were rejected by other teams.  Remember, after the 2014 season, it was obvious that both sides of the ball needed to be rebuilt.  At the same time, we were going away from drafting based on need and from trying to build our team primarily from FAs.

Imo The guy has a better resume than any other candidate up till now. It's not really close. 7 of 9 years as a D.C. His defenses have finished top 10 in most important statistical categories. He wasn't flush with Uber talent every year. That's an overstatement if I've ever seen one. Just my opinion though so we shall see what happens. Just don't think your being fair to the guy by saying he had Uber talent around him every year and brought nothing to the table. 

But something's obviously amiss we don't see cuz they haven't hired him or anyone for that matter. Lol.

4 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Pettine Pettine Pettine!!! Make it happen Jay! Cozy and comfortable will not get this defense better.

Pettine should just call Redskins Park and casually follow up on his interview while sneaking in some ridiculous line like "I don't feel pressure, I apply pressure" because that **** seemed to win the crowd over for Joe Berry. 

He would be hired over the phone, on the spot 

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Anybody with one eyeball can tell the hire is gonna be Manusky.  It was Jay's preference from jump street.  Pettine couldn't check the 'I've worked with you before' box, so he's not a serious candidate.

I agree it's going to be Manusky. This reeks of the Gruden hire to me where the decision was made at the jump but we had to go through the whole dog and pony show "search" only to hire the guy they decided on from the opening second. 

Confirming that #Skins spoke to John Pagano Wed re their DC job. search in its second week with more candidates due to interview

Former San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano met with the Redskins about their vacant defensive... http://es.pn/2iQ2dM1 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think we're hanging on waiting on Bradley

Yes. 

Either way, whether they can land Gus or someone else, I'm currently expecting them to make a hire before the Senior Bowl. Possibly by the end of the weekend. 

2 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

How I read it...it's not an official rule. So who cares. Nice guys always finish last right ;). 

Teams would not face penalties for violating the practice with a coordinator vacancy

With Mara at the helm better safe than sorry/

Honestly I think Jay and them know what KIND of defense they want and are zeroing in on their choice, hence the majority of coaches are from the Rex Ryan aggressive scheme tree and part of why Manusky has received good consideration. That attacking style D would mesh well with our offense. It worked for the Saints when they were a top D in terms of turnovers the year they won the Superbowl.

1 hour ago, TK said:

Yes. 

Either way, whether they can land Gus or someone else, I'm currently expecting them to make a hire before the Senior Bowl. Possibly by the end of the weekend. 

If we don't get him, which seems probable, isn't it kind of odd to interview a bunch from the same group? I mean, a lot of these guys, Manusky, Pagano,  etc, if they don't get the DC job with us, they could still end up on the squad as coordinators, right?

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we don't get him, which seems probable, isn't it kind of odd to interview a bunch from the same group? I mean, a lot of these guys, Manusky, Pagano,  etc, if they don't get the DC job with us, they could still end up on the squad as coordinators, right?

I think it's probably likely that they are holding out hope for Bradley, with Manunsky as the B plan. And yes I agree, they may have others as  targets for position coaches.

JP Finley just on 106.7, he thinks its a 2 way race between Manusky and Gus Bradley.  His thought was Lynn hasn't pulled the trigger on Bradley yet -- so he thinks he's still in play.   But then he throws out that there it could still be a candidate who they haven't interviewed yet.

Finley said it was previously told it would happen after the senior bowl, now he was told it could come next week but he wasn't sure. 

3 hours ago, Skins-in-CT said:

Is there also the possibility they are waiting to interview Raheem Morris?  I read that his name was somewhere on the list.  I think the Falcons are going to beat Green Bay so it may be a while if that is the case.

Anything is possible, but if the Falcons make the Super Bowl, they wouldn't wait that long. They would move on to someone else, I believe.

So it's looking like we can pretty much cross Pettine off the list.  I was still holding out hope.  His lack of connections to Gruden or the FO was probably too much for him to overcome no matter how much better he was than the other candidates in terms of production.

Also, if we're interviewing all these guys that run aggressive, attacking defenses, and that is what Gruden wants, why do we have such an obsession with Bradley?  He runs one of the most vanilla schemes in the league.  It doesn't add up.  Just seems like this whole process has been random, instead of thoughtful and deliberate.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Also, if we're interviewing all these guys that run aggressive, attacking defenses, and that is what Gruden wants, why do we have such an obsession with Bradley?  He runs one of the most vanilla schemes in the league.  It doesn't add up.  Just seems like this whole process has been random, instead of thoughtful and deliberate.

Yeah I don't get that one either.  Chris Russell who has been on the money with names during this process also said he learned that they are looking for a mindset and that is an aggressive-attacking defense.  Just about every guy is connected to either being a disciple of Rex or Phillips.    

Weird that Bradley is in limo in SD when everything seemed marching in that direction last week.   Bradley is the outlier in all of this and a big one -- he actually seems to be the reverse -- a bend and not break guy.   

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I don't get that one either.  Chris Russell who has been on the money with names during this process also said he learned that they are looking for a mindset and that is an aggressive-attacking defense.  Just about every guy is connected to either being a disciple of Rex or Phillips.    

Weird that Bradley is in limo in SD when everything seemed marching in that direction last week.   Bradley is the outlier in all of this and a big one -- he actually seems to be the reverse -- a bend and not break guy.   

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that Scot is really pushing for Bradley because of his familiarity with finding guys (especially late round gems) that fit his system, and Gruden is okay with Bradley, but he prefers to find a guy that runs an attacking, aggressive scheme.  Maybe Gruden figures he might not get the aggressive scheme he wants with Bradley, but he'll get better players because of how comfortable Scot is with finding players that fit that scheme?  That's all I got.

From what I understand, I don't think it's fair to label the Caroll/Bradley defense as not aggressive. It's as aggressive as any blitz-heavy scheme there is. 

They just go about it differently. The aggressiveness comes from the combination of one-gapping and two-gapping up front along with the Leo. 

Since everyone knows their exact role they're not reading much and just attacking, while the only guys doing any reading are the few who are two-gapping upfront. But that's mitigated by freeing up the Linebackers behind the "two-gappers" to make plays in space and avoid any Olinemen getting to them. 

The confusion is generated from switching up who's one gapping versus two gapping upfront on any given play, which ensures guys end up with one on ones often enough or someone running free. 

It results in a very aggressive front. I don't see how anyone can look at the Seattle defense and say it's not aggressive. Those guys live in opposing teams backfields. 

As for the secondary, the usual Cover 3 shell they play in doesn't have to equate to "soft". They can press. And if you've got the horses (outside CBs and FS)playing those 3 zones well, you free up the SS to roam and attack. 

This is what I've gathered reading up on the Caroll/Bradley system recently. I admit I'm not an expert on it, I just started looking at it in depth when we showed interest in Bradley. 

So I don't know how much that changed in Jacksonville or if Bradley was running something else. But if he's bringing that same defense he ran with Caroll in Seattle, coupled with Scot's experience and knowledge of the required personnel to run it... well, I could totally see why he was their highest priority and why it fits with their desire for an "aggressive" defense. 

Archived