Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

Both Wieters and Lind are solid moves--our bench and catching situations were less than thrilling. Now, at least we have some more pop off the bench and Zimmsurance, and a better bat behind the plate. Highly unlikely, but I dream of Wieters returning to that 3-4 WAR seasons of 4 years ago--finally getting healthy, yadda, yadda, yadda...hope springs eternal and all that.

Some thoughts on Matt Wieters--his bat is better than expected. His overall numbers are dragged down by a hideous July where his OPS was .327. Outside of that month, he slashed .264/.317/.455--and that includes a terrible start too, with an OPS of .594 over the 1st month of the season. So, I think he is going to be a much better addition than Norris, and I'll take a .772 OPS from the catcher spot all day

I like the Wieters signing WAY more than most the national pundits and experts--even those I like and respect. He is much more reliable than Norris. His pitch framing is suspect, but with out strike throwers, I don't think it'll make that much difference. He is better at the traditional catcher metrics: throwing runners out and blocking pitches. He Ks less, walks less, generally makes better contact. Norris cratering BB% and skyrocketing K% is concerning. If Wieters avoids that July slump last year, he gets a much bigger contract.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:58 AM, Warhead36 said:

Glover has that look and feel of a badass Closer. I know he doesn't have experience, but even Mo Rivera was a young pup at one point.

I agree. At this point though, I see no other option anyway. Just gotta roll with it and hope that by September he still has enough confidence to let it rip 

It's pretty hilarious reading on WNFF and watching our old buddy Slate back to trashing Bryce lol.  

Anyway, good for Bryce.  I hope he has a monster year, MVP-type season where the Lerners get absolutely destroyed by the fanbase if they didn't work out a deal with him.  I'll forever be bitter towards the Lerners if they **** this up and let him walk.  They aren't bad owners by any means but it will be a major blackmark on their ownership if they let him go.

Archived