Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

The Lerners aren't cheap but there's simply no excuse for the rumors to be starting already that we're going to let Bryce go. And the sad thing is they're most likely true and he's most likely in a different uni in two years. So essentially we spent years developing Bryce so another team and fanbase can reap the rewards lol. 

The Washington Nationals continue to target Chicago White Sox closer David Robertson as they try to shore up their bullpen heading into the 2017 season. 

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported the Nationals and White Sox are having an ongoing dialogue about a potential trade, though no deal is imminent. Washington is said to be hesitant to pick up Robertson's full salary or give up promising young players in exchange for the White Sox picking up part of the tab.

Robertson, 31, is due $25 million over the next two seasons.

3 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

The Lerners aren't cheap but there's simply no excuse for the rumors to be starting already that we're going to let Bryce go. And the sad thing is they're most likely true and he's most likely in a different uni in two years. So essentially we spent years developing Bryce so another team and fanbase can reap the rewards lol. 

Remember when we had Stephen Strasburg all but moved back to the West Coast?  We practically had him strolling on a beach in La Jolla barefoot wearing a Padres jersey. "No WAY we sign him to a long-term deal." 

I'll just let the Harper saga play out.

20 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Remember when we had Stephen Strasburg all but moved back to the West Coast?  We practically had him strolling on a beach in La Jolla barefoot wearing a Padres jersey. "No WAY we sign him to a long-term deal." 

I'll just let the Harper saga play out.

Yeah, that's true. I'm just being a baby about the whole thing lol

MLB considering two rule changes for 2017, both affecting pitching.  

1. Changing the intentional walk to do away with having to throw 4 soft pitches.  Instead, a team can just wave a batter to first.

2. Raising the strike zone.  There is concern that umpires are calling too many low strikes and the competitive balance has shifted too far to the pitcher.  The rule since 1996 says the bottom of the strike zone is "the hollow beneath the kneecap." The proposed change would raise the zone to the top of the knee cap.

26 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

1. Changing the intentional walk to do away with having to throw 4 soft pitches.  Instead, a team can just wave a batter to first.

2. Raising the strike zone.  There is concern that umpires are calling too many low strikes and the competitive balance has shifted too far to the pitcher.  The rule since 1996 says the bottom of the strike zone is "the hollow beneath the kneecap." The proposed change would raise the zone to the top of the knee cap.

I'm fine with #1. Why waste time when everyone knows you're going to walk the guy intentionally.

#2...I don't know. I kinda like it better when Pitchers dominate, or at least when its harder to score runs. A better solution would be to automate balls and strikes.

27 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I have a wild idea. How about umpires call pitches that are actually ****ing strikes? CB Bucknor, Laz Diaz, Vic Carapazzo, et al I am looking in your direction!

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm fine with #1. Why waste time when everyone knows you're going to walk the guy intentionally.

#2...I don't know. I kinda like it better when Pitchers dominate, or at least when its harder to score runs. A better solution would be to automate balls and strikes.

From the selfish perspective of a Nats fan, I agree with you about 2.

Nats tidbits from Keith Law's chat:

Which is more foolish: the 4-year/5-year deals to Melancon, Jansen, et al; or what the Nats are doing: rolling the dice on Kelley, Glover, Treinen, et al.

The long-term deals. I think there's a closer in that mix for Washington - Glover has the stuff and aggressiveness, just not the command - and that Rizzo has played this out very wisely.

What are your thoughts on Daniel Murphy getting close to repeating last year's numbers? An ESPN cohort of yours has an article saying yes, but uses a lot of loathsome phrases like "eye test" and "lineup protection" to make his argument.

I guess it depends on "getting close" but I'd bet the under. He set career highs in BABIP and ISO last year, and while there's some mechanical explanation there, there was almost certainly some good fortune involved too. If you offered me three choices for his performance in 2017 - his 2015 line, his 2016 line, or right down the middle of those two - I'd take the third option.

So Thom Loverro did an interview with Danny Espinosa--it really isn't worth lisening too--it's a terrible interview, awkward. The couple of good things Danny said we already knew--People liked Papelbon in the clubhouse, Werth changed the culture, Ryan Zimmerman is a good guy. But, and this is the 2nd person that has said this (Chris Russell being the other) talking about how we'll miss the defense. Possibly, but this is Espinosa's slash line outside of June: .191/.251/.317 with a 30.4% K rate. That OBP drops to .235 without the 8 IBBs from batting in front of the pitcher.

Long story short: No, Thom and Chris, he won't be missed.

I'd actually be okay with Espinosa as a backup infielder. He can play both SS and 2B at a high level defensively so he can come in as a late game defensive repalcement for someone like Murphy, and if he absolutely has to hit there is at least a chance he can run into a home run every once in a while(remember that ridiculous hot streak he was on in June).

He should never ever start for this team again.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd actually be okay with Espinosa as a backup infielder. He can play both SS and 2B at a high level defensively so he can come in as a late game defensive repalcement for someone like Murphy, and if he absolutely has to hit there is at least a chance he can run into a home run every once in a while(remember that ridiculous hot streak he was on in June).

He should never ever start for this team again.

Well, we traded him to Anaheim, so not much chance we have to worry about that...

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

So Thom Loverro did an interview with Danny Espinosa--it really isn't worth lisening too--it's a terrible interview, awkward. The couple of good things Danny said we already knew--People liked Papelbon in the clubhouse, Werth changed the culture, Ryan Zimmerman is a good guy. But, and this is the 2nd person that has said this (Chris Russell being the other) talking about how we'll miss the defense. Possibly, but this is Espinosa's slash line outside of June: .191/.251/.317 with a 30.4% K rate. That OBP drops to .235 without the 8 IBBs from batting in front of the pitcher.

Long story short: No, Thom and Chris, he won't be missed.

Thom is supposed to be this expert on Baseball and Boxing. But when he talks about it, I feel that he's not that insightful. He's just recycling what others have said for decades.

Archived