Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

14 hours ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

A lot of people complain about FP, but I am glad he stayed. He started out a little rough, but I love his analysis and commentary. He works well with Bob "See...you....at...the warning track, for an out" Carpenter. I am also really happy Dan Kolko is back.

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

A lot of people complain about FP, but I am glad he stayed. He started out a little rough, but I love his analysis and commentary. He works well with Bob "See...you....at...the warning track, for an out" Carpenter. I am also really happy Dan Kolko is back.

Some good random F.P. quotes:

- Bob: "I remember my first game with the Dodgers, it was a day game."

FP: "Before they had lights?"

- [Broadcast shows American flag hanging from the rafters.] "Wind blowing straight down here."

- [After Espi gets possible HBP on hand] "It's a common misconception that the hand is a part of the bat. That hand is part of your body. Think about it, if your hand was part of the bat it would be hard to drive because you'd have a bat in your hand all day."

- "The kids at the game today will be able to buy a beer before they can run the bases." August game vs Twins in the bottom of the 11th inning

- "The A in Michael A Taylor should stand for Clutch."

- [Promoting '80s Night at Nats Park]  "And for all your costume needs, visit Bob Carpenter's closet."

- "I'm trying to think..is that Matt Williams' 'I'm not happy face' or just his face?"

- [Talking about Cy Young]  "I think he won the Cy Young Award. Or as they called it back then, the Me Award."

4 hours ago, DC9 said:

So, was driving up to NoVA from the southern states today and got a text from my O's fan cousin... said we're hot on Weiters.

Anyone heard anything about it and do you know just how "hot" it is?

It's been up and down since the winter meetings. Heard his name when those started, then went away, then back again. It's been pretty dormant for a while now though.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, ixcuincle said:

Should DC nationals pursue free agent Jose Bautista? Would provide strong bat. 

If we could go back 4 years in a time machine I would say yes.

Right now though, for what he's probably looking for, he'll probably be nothing but a production and contractual anchor, in short order

Sounds like Ol' Ralph just got bored and decided to stir up some ****.

Keith Law ranks the Nationals farm system at 22nd:

22. Washington Nationals

2016 rank: 15

The Nationals dropped several places here after their big trade for Adam Eaton, which cost them three of their top four prospects and put a huge dent in their overall pitching depth, though it helped make the big-league club one of the best teams on paper in either league. Washington aims for high-ceiling prospects in every endeavor, often taking players who’ve slipped due to injury (Lucas Giolito, Erick Fedde, Jesus Luzardo) in the draft, while shooting for huge upside in the international prospects they sign (Victor Robles, Juan Soto).

Ultimately, you can’t trade away as many prospects as the Nationals have without taking a real hit to your system. What was once 12-15 names deep in guys projected to have real major-league value might now stop around five or six.

Victor Robles only Nats prospect to make Law's top-100:

8. Victor Robles, CF, Washington Nationals

Height: 6-0 | Weight: 185

Top level: Low-A | 2016: 49

was.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueRobles is a true five-tool player who has progressed quickly since signing in 2013 as a 16-year-old. He played well at both A-ball levels in 2016, with only a Michael Kopech fastball to the hand slowing him down. Robles is a 70 runner and plus fielder in center with a plus arm, and at the plate, you can comfortably project him to have a plus hit tool. He’s already pretty advanced with great bat speed, strong hands and the ability to use the whole field.

The power is more projection right now, but he has the raw ingredients to get there, similar to Andrew McCutchen at the same age; McCutchen had the bat speed, the frame and the quick wrists for power but needed to finish physically maturing. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope for a Cutch sort of ceiling, and I don’t think it was unreasonable for the Nats to make Robles the one prospect they were keeping at all costs this winter.

Archived