Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2017/1/26/14399744/nationals-prospect-victor-robles-no-2-outfield-prospect-mlb-pipeline

This morning, the Nats’ prospect, who signed for $225,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, was ranked second overall on MLB Pipeline’s list of the Top 10 outfield prospects in baseball.

“If you were to create a short list of prospects you think would be the No. 1 prospect in baseball a year from now, Robles would likely top it,” MLBPipeline.com’s Jonathan Mayo wrote, echoing the sentiments expressed by Callis, who projected that Robles will be the top prospect in baseball for 2018.

“He is the prototypical five-tool player who will play up the middle,” Mayo added, “with double-plus speed and outstanding defense, for a very long time to come. And Robles doesn't turn 20 until May.”

Juan Soto tops Law's just missed list:

Juan Soto, OF, Washington Nationals
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 185
Top level: Short-season A

Soto was the final cut, so if you want to tag a player as No. 101 on the list, he’s the one, and he’ll be No. 2 on the Nationals' organization ranking when I post that next week. Soto is a very physical kid already even though he just turned 18, with a mature approach at the plate, showing he understands the strike zone and that he’ll have to adjust that approach when there’s a lefty on the mound. He’s very balanced at the plate too, with strong hands and the ability to drive the ball the other way already.

He’s a corner outfielder with an average arm and is probably a 45 runner, so he may not add much value on defense, but the projections on the hit and power tools would still make him a star out there. I didn’t love leaving him off, but given his inexperience and the fact that he’s stuck in a corner, I thought the last few guys on the 100 had more present value, even if Soto might be in the top 50 after we see him face full-season pitching.

We're about 2 weeks from pitchers and catchers reporting. Which is kind of ironic, since our season will probably come down to bullpen and if Norris and Zimm rebound.

Our 1-6 hitters will be very good--7-9 could be Manny Mendoza bad. Rotation will be strong, bullpen could cost us a lot of games.

Potomac Nationals fans have voted.  This year's featured bobblehead will be a dual-figure masterpiece - Dan Kolko interviewing Jayson Werth.

No word yet on whether the bobblehead will depict the "You Go Dan Kolko" interview...

403f4d0b5b0d6e4faeb5eddf519447da.jpg

or the "Holy ****." and "Those people can kiss my ASS!" interview

jayson-werth.png

or the interview where Werth called Jonathan Papelbon "the DC Strangler."

Phillies_Nationals_Baseball-b3e4e.jpg&w=

In any case, it's sure to be a hot souvenir.

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Three tidbits from that article to warm my winter heart

1. Since joining the White Sox, his .362 on-base percentage was 9th best in the entire AL.  

2. His 6.0 WAR last year was the 11th best in all of MLB.

3. He led the AL in triples last year (maybe the most exciting offensive play in baseball).

Another thing I noticed about his numbers is that, in the last 2 years, he's found a bit of power in his swing, hitting 14 homers in both 2015 and 2016. (He only reached double figures in HRs once before  - 10 - in a minor league season.)

Also, according to baseballreference.com, his nickname is apparently "Spanky."

17 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Three tidbits from that article to warm my winter heart

1. Since joining the White Sox, his .362 on-base percentage was 9th best in the entire AL.  

2. His 6.0 WAR last year was the 11th best in all of MLB.

3. He led the AL in triples last year (maybe the most exciting offensive play in baseball).

Another thing I noticed about his numbers is that, in the last 2 years, he's found a bit of power in his swing, hitting 14 homers in both 2015 and 2016. (He only reached double figures in HRs once before  - 10 - in a minor league season.)

Also, according to baseballreference.com, his nickname is apparently "Spanky."

The more I read about Eaton the more I like him. He and Turner at the top of the lineup are going to be really fun to watch (and Syndergaard is already crapping his pant suit thinking about holding those two).

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Eaton will be this year's Daniel Murphy. I can't wait to go back and laugh at all the people who cried because we gave up a guy who won't be better then a #3 SP and a wild man Henri Rodriguez 2.0.

Seeing the rumors about Giolito not having the demeanor to pitch in the majors makes all the sense in the world, in retrospect.

45 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Seeing the rumors about Giolito not having the demeanor to pitch in the majors makes all the sense in the world, in retrospect.

Yep he looked like a nervous nelly on the mound and it showed. I've always felt like greatness is shown right away. I mean Strasburg in his debut just eviscerated people and you knew he was going to be amazing. Giolito struggled to hit low 90s and never struck anyone out. Maybe in 5 years he'll be Doug Fister.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep he looked like a nervous nelly on the mound and it showed. I've always felt like greatness is shown right away. I mean Strasburg in his debut just eviscerated people and you knew he was going to be amazing. Giolito struggled to hit low 90s and never struck anyone out. Maybe in 5 years he'll be Doug Fister.

He can certainly turn it around, but I like the deal more for the Nationals now. Unless Lopez becomes a lights-out closer, in addition to Giolito finding his groove.

still think we should have gotten more than Adam Eaton for what we gave up

quite a few scouts seem to believe that we mistakenly altered Giolito's mechanics in the minors and think working with Chicago's people will help fulfill his potential. Pitcher development is not linear, writing him off now is foolish.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

still think we should have gotten more than Adam Eaton for what we gave up

quite a few scouts seem to believe that we mistakenly altered Giolito's mechanics in the minors and think working with Chicago's people will help fulfill his potential. Pitcher development is not linear, writing him off now is foolish.

i dont care about potential.  Eaton gives another legit bat int he top 6.  We need to win now 

Archived