Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Curious case of Josh Doctson M.E.T. , (3-29-17, 100%)

SWFLSkins

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because he's an alcoholic and was drinking on the job. 

I know the guy was a active alcoholic in the past and that can get you fired in a lot of jobs but there has to be more than that. I mean if a employee is so good then most jobs will get the guy help before they can him. If the prob persists then fire him.

ok we are overreacting like crazy here.  this is no different than another guy with the same injury, we're just acting weird about it because of where he was drafted.

his body doesn't care where he was drafted, it has nothing to do with it AT ALL, yet here we are making conclusions about his toughness, Scots thought processes, people who aren't athletes and their injuries, and malcomb freakin Kelly.

he's got a lingering injury.  that's it.  he will play when he can.  just like any 10 year vet or a kid drafted in the 4th.  chill.

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I know the guy was a active alcoholic in the past and that can get you fired in a lot of jobs but there has to be more than that. I mean if a employee is so good then most jobs will get the guy help before they can him. If the prob persists then fire him.

You asked the reason, his drinking (including on the job in the facilities) is the reason he was fired/stepped down from his previous jobs. Its all been very well documented. 

11 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well Malcomb Kelly had legitimate medical issues. It wasn't a toughness thing. That was Dan and Vinny's fault.

Jordan Reed had questionable toughness. Let's hope Doctson's story takes a turn on the same path. 

So, we're questioning the toughness of a kid who did not even get a scholarship, then fought his way all the way to the top of the ranks for college WRs...umm...okay...

ASHBURN, Va. -- In May, doctors braced Washington Redskins wide receiver Josh Doctson that his Achilles tendinitis could be a recurring issue throughout the year. Unfortunately for him, that's what's happening.

The Redskins' rookie was unable to practice for a second consecutive day after being a late inactive last Sunday against the New York Giants. He had planned to play until feeling discomfort after pregame workouts.

Doctson injured his left Achilles in May and was sidelined until a week before the season opener.

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

So, we're questioning the toughness of a kid who did not even get a scholarship, then fought his way all the way to the top of the ranks for college WRs...umm...okay...

Yeah, this is frankly pissing me off. Doctson's history, if anything, only shows a love of the game beyond the vast majority of draft picks. He earned everything he got, was not some pampered 5 star recruit, and if you watch his games all you see is toughness. 

So annoying how quick people can be with labels. 

What Cooley saw was him being down about his injury. I'm not a "bash Cooley whenever he says something I don't like" kind of guy but he can be silly at times with his hot takes and that's exactly what he did when he interpreted Doctson's body language in the offseason. 

This is becoming quite a pickle rather quickly. We kind of have to find out if this guy is gonna contribute long term before the offseason. I think Scot was thinking he could let Pierre go and possibly Desean as well if this guy turned out to be a stud this year, especially with Crowder in tow. I agree with the general consensus of letting this play out a few more weeks before shutting him down. McClue had to have that same queasy feeling a lot of us do regarding the ominous nature of where the injury is and how critical it is to his position. He's gotta hate possibly whiffing on a 1st round pick as much- if not more than we do with all the needs we need to address. I'm worried too, just not punch a wall type worried :ols:

Recurring tendinitis shelves Redskins' Doctson

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17671144

"We don't want to shut me down for a year when I could feel good in a week, two weeks," Doctson said.

Doctson was healthy before the NFL draft, having dealt with only a wrist injury late his senior year at TCU. He was the one wide receiver that the Redskins liked enough in the first round to bypass other needs, despite not having a pressing hole at the position this season.

DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon will both be free agents after the season.

Doctson is trying to be patient with his situation.

Doctson's future this season rests completely on other injuries.  if he can't go for the foreseeable, and If the Skins have another week like last week they will need roster space and Doctson is the first guy to the IR.   Not the worst thing that could happen to the kid.  No point in pushing himself and getting really injured.

“I’m concerned. We’ve had all these tests, and there’s really nothing there that we should be concerned about for a long-term problem. It’s just, he’s dealing with some pain, and we don’t know why it is. But we have to try to figure out what it is and get it fixed.”

That sounds like a head coach questioning the toughness of his number 1 draft pick. 

"We keep thinking he's getting better, and he keeps teasing us running out there, making a great catch and looking good," Gruden said, "and then the next day he gets sore."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17663394/concern-mounts-josh-doctson-washington-redskins

8 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

That sounds like a head coach questioning the toughness of his number 1 draft pick. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17663394/concern-mounts-josh-doctson-washington-redskins

Only for people reading way too much between the lines and or just want to complain because they never liked the pick.

The guy made his way onto a major college football team as a walk on. He did enough to be a first round draft pick in the NFL. Of course everyone is frustrated. They would much rather him be out there. But they have to be smart and patient - something fans struggle with - especially the patience part.

The only toughness to be questioned is fans mental toughness to understand this is nothing more than an injury that takes time.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Only for people reading way too much between the lines and or just want to complain because they never liked the pick.

The guy made his way onto a major college football team as a walk on. He did enough to be a first round draft pick in the NFL. Of course everyone is frustrated. They would much rather him be out there. But they have to be smart and patient - something fans struggle with - especially the patience part.

The only toughness to be questioned is fans mental toughness to understand this is nothing more than an injury that takes time.

Hope you're right.

I'm still traumatized from our previous draft busts to get excited :( 

39 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Hope you're right.

I'm still traumatized from our previous draft busts to get excited :( 

That part I get. He made end up never working out. The injury may end being so debilitating he never reaches what many see as great potential. So being concerned that he does not reach that potential is totally fair, although I thinks it's way to early. But fair just the same.

But what does not make any sense is questioning the kids toughness. Anyone who has had foot injuries, knows they are some of the most painful injuries you can have. And for a guy who's feet and legs are what makes him who he is athletically, I can't imagine how frustrated he is. But pushing it, trying to "play though it" just makes no sense. Short term gains for potentially ruining any possible chance of a future.

Many in here crucified shanny for putting Robert back into that Seattle game (rightly so I believe). Now we have a staff taking their time and being more cautious with players health. This is what caring for your players long term health looks like.

I think, in general, it's imperative that Doctson play some significant snaps at some point this year.  Even if they put him on ice for a while to get him able to go for the second half or in Dec.  If he doesnt play, I think it pushes back the clock on him 2 years probably.  I would expect next year to be the equivalent of a rookie year. Assuming he can stay healthy.

We have 2 recent examples from last year of first round WRs that missed their entire rookie year and they're not making much impact in the second.  If the point of drafting him was to replace Garcon and/or DJax next year, they can't really go into next year counting on him after having his rookie year wash out.  They'd wind up having to divert free agent resources to get a stopgap WR.  The Ravens wound up getting Mike Wallace, relegating Perriman to the 3rd WR.  The Bears had an elite WR already to lean on by keeping Jeffery, with a solid 3 in Eddie Royal.  We don't have a 1 on Jeffery's level, but Crowder is a comparable to Royal.  

I mean, hey, he could be the exception and come out having absorbed mental reps and healthy next year and catch 65 balls and have 5-10 TDs, but I wouldnt count on it if it's his first extended meaningful game action.

If we don't resign Garcon... I'm willing to throw a conditional pick to the Browns for Gordon.. He's a dumbass but he's never injured.

EDIT: Just saw that Gordon has an arrest warrant out for not appearing in court for a paternity test case in which he is the father of a 1-year old. This comes on the same day that he said he was putting his career on hold to enter rehab.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If we don't resign Garcon... I'm willing to throw a conditional pick to the Browns for Gordon.. He's a dumbass but he's never injured.

EDIT: Just saw that Gordon has an arrest warrant out for not appearing in court for a paternity test case in which he is the father of a 1-year old. This comes on the same day that he said he was putting his career on hold to enter rehab.

And they're going to cut him.

Hopefully they shut him down for the year.  Makes no sense to rush him into the lineup.  After Garçon leaves next year, he will need to rise up.

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

The Bears had an elite WR already to lean on by keeping Jeffery, with a solid 3 in Eddie Royal.  We don't have a 1 on Jeffery's level, but Crowder is a comparable to Royal. 

Why would you compare anything we are doing to the Bears?  Their offense stinks :ols:

I'd still pick up Gordon IF the NFL will allow him to stay. His 4-game suspension is up now. I just can't get passed the talent this kid has. Top-5 WR in the game.

Bring him in and allow him to take some time to rehab... His a replacement for Garcon at the end of the season, and I assume much, much cheaper (and a whole lot better/bigger)

He's another 1st round talent on this roster when he comes back, and he's NOT injured.

Archived