Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PBS: Congress Overrides Obama's Veto On Sept. 11 Lawsuit Bill

s0crates

On 9/29/2016 at 9:08 PM, s0crates said:

I'm aware you're the legal expert, and I honestly don't know the first thing about "sovereign immunity," the contents of this bill, or international law. I just have a feeling you're overstating your case. 

That's a pretty common reaction these days.  By a lot of people, to a lot of issues.  This is, for example, what scientists face when they try to explain the reality of global climate change.  People have preconceptions, and those preconceptions are very hard to shake.   

7 hours ago, Predicto said:

That's a pretty common reaction these days.  By a lot of people, to a lot of issues.  This is, for example, what scientists face when they try to explain the reality of global climate change.  People have preconceptions, and those preconceptions are very hard to shake.   

My gut tells me you're wrong about that.

Can I briefly say, savvy of Kaine to skip this vote.  If he voted for it, he's in with the other 97 who are like "uh, we didn't understand how hard we screwed ourselves," while if he voted against it, people would be all "WHY YOU HATE AMERICA BRUH!?"

So, smart for him to stay away while Congress makes itself look stupid.

Bernie similarly stayed away.

And Reid looks like the lone sane man, which he doesn't often get to be.

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Can I briefly say, savvy of Kaine to skip this vote.  If he voted for it, he's in with the other 97 who are like "uh, we didn't understand how hard we screwed ourselves," while if he voted against it, people would be all "WHY YOU HATE AMERICA BRUH!?"

So, smart for him to stay away while Congress makes itself look stupid.

Bernie similarly stayed away.

And Reid looks like the lone sane man, which he doesn't often get to be.

Another thing I hate about politicians.  Don't run.  If you think it's wrong, stand up and say it.  If you don't, say that.  Have a ****ing backbone.

I get it is the smart political move.  And that's why so many of us hate politicians.

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Another thing I hate about politicians.  Don't run.  If you think it's wrong, stand up and say it.  If you don't, say that.  Have a ****ing backbone.

I get it is the smart political move.  And that's why so many of us hate politicians.

When the American people get enough brains such that standing up for the logically smart thing isn't a liability over doing the easy, emotional, thing, then sure.

But right now, getting a vote on record on that bill is a lose-lose proposition.  The only winning move is not to play.

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

When the American people get enough brains such that standing up for the logically smart thing isn't a liability over doing the easy, emotional, thing, then sure.

This is true and what really keeps me up at night. 

I made a pretty good argument at work the other day about how the Trump movement is the Lefts fault.  One guy who is a huge Hillary supporter even said I had a good point.  It basically came down to the left does to much to help the stupid people instead of letting Darwin do his thing.  Those stupid people breed and make more stupid and they all become Trumpers. I started the argument just to be a pain but once I started, it actually started making sense.

10 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I made a pretty good argument at work the other day about how the Trump movement is the Lefts fault.  One guy who is a huge Hillary supporter even said I had a good point.  It basically came down to the left does to much to help the stupid people instead of letting Darwin do his thing.  Those stupid people breed and make more stupid and they all become Trumpers. I started the argument just to be a pain but once I started, it actually started making sense.

Sorry.   We are too Christian for that.   :)

besides, social science indicates that gutting the social safety net actually increases the number of births among the undereducated and underprivileged.  

3 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Sorry.   We are too Christian for that.   :)

besides, social science indicates that gutting the social safety net actually increases the number of births among the undereducated and underprivileged.  

You're looking at it wrong.  I'm not talking about food stamps (though I could) and other social safety nets.  I'm talking seat belt laws and the other things like it that keep stupid from getting bit by natural selection.  If you are stupid enough to try to shave with a lawn mover, go for it.  Then you can't vote trump.  See??

Just now, Predicto said:

It's very expensive for society to support a bunch of paraplegics and disabled who can no longer work because of their injuries.   :)  

And we wouldn't have to if we got rid of Obama care......can anyone say death panels?  (Is that what they were called?)

The way to kill off support for a candidate like Trump is to kill off ignorance.  Education is a silver bullet for a jillion social and civic problems on a massive scale.

But if we're going to use the stick instead of the carrot, I seriously think I'd settle for taking away the right to vote of Trump's primary voters.  They can have it restored by passing some basic civics and 20th-21st century political history courses which would demonstrate some level of understanding of good citizenship.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The way to kill off support for a candidate like Trump is to kill off ignorance.  Education is a silver bullet for a jillion social and civic problems on a massive scale.

But if we're going to use the stick instead of the carrot, I seriously think I'd settle for taking away the right to vote of Trump's primary voters.  They can have it restored by passing some basic civics and 20th-21st century political history courses which would demonstrate some level of understanding of good citizenship.

ya'll won't even go for id to vote..:rofl89:

9 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If felons don't get their voting rights restored after serving their sentence I don't think Trump supporters should have theirs restored either. Their crime is probably worse than 99% of the felons anyway.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've said for a while I'd support some type of test before you can vote.  Just a basic civics and history test.  And apply it to both sides across the board.

Archived