Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Teddy Bridgewater suffers apparent injury at practice

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Dunno, weird that his leg would just break. Seems more in line with a non contact ACL or something. They wouldn't call an ambulance over an ACL, so you have to start thinking worst case scenarios, meaning could he have torn multiple ligaments, resulting in knee dislocation. This kind of injury can also lead to vascular and nerve injuries... So an injury that can end a career. 

The NFL Network is reporting that it's a knee dislocation.  

I had no idea that such an injury could be so severe.  A career ender?  In this day & age?

For everyone in Minnesota's sake, I sure hope not.

10 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

The NFL Network is reporting that it's a knee dislocation.  

I had no idea that such an injury could be so severe.  A career ender?  In this day & age?

For everyone in Minnesota's sake, I sure hope not.

Combined with multiple ligament tears and nerve damage, yes that kind of injury can be devastating.

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

Combined with multiple ligament tears and nerve damage, yes that kind of injury can be devastating.

Truly tragic.  A rising young star leading Minnesota back to serious contention; and his sun was still rising.

But after having time to think about the League-wide impact this injury is having, ya gotta figure the clear Winner here is Colin Kaepernick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000692681/article/vikings-qb-options-after-teddy-bridgewater-injury

Why would a team that was supposed to be pretty decent, want Colt McCoy? He's not even an upgrade over Shaun Hill, who at least has a history with Norv Turner. Not that I think Mettenberg is any good, but I think he might make the most sense. Still young. And Norv could possibly jumpstart his career. And I would think he'd come cheap.

1 minute ago, Baughlin' said:

Pft is reporting no nerve damage. Hopefully he can bounce back now.

Yep...here is some more info. Dislocated kneecap, torn ACL and "other structural damage," but no nerve or artery damage. From the way it sounded earlier, this is bad, but it could have been worse. 

Teddy Bridgewater suffered a non-contact injury today at practice. The injury was quickly identified as a dislocated knee. The injury was stabilized, and he was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and evaluation. After undergoing an MRI, it was determined that Teddy suffered a complete tear to his ACL and other structural damage. Fortunately, there appears to be no nerve or arterial damage. Surgical repair will be scheduled within the next few days. Although the recovery time will be significant, we expect Teddy to make a full recovery. I would like to thank all of the medical professionals and our athletic training staff for all of their help today. Teddy has already displayed the attitude needed to overcome this injury and attack his rehab.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Statement-on-Teddy-Bridgewaters-Injury/06dcacf0-754d-4547-92b2-f86fdd3cddf5?sf34729339=1 

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There's gonna be a picture of Bridgewater in the dictionary next to "freak injury".  That's incredible to get all that from a simple dropback.  

I actually had the same thing happen a few years back. Got wasted with some friends, decided we should go play some football at about 2am. Dropped back to throw, bam torn ACL, torn meniscus, my wife had to come outside and pop my knee back into place while I called her every obscenity I could think of at the time. 

Good times. 

30 minutes ago, Son of Gadsden said:

I actually had the same thing happen a few years back. Got wasted with some friends, decided we should go play some football at about 2am. Dropped back to throw, bam torn ACL, torn meniscus, my wife had to come outside and pop my knee back into place while I called her every obscenity I could think of at the time. 

Good times. 

Yeah but you were a drunk fool and Teddy is a professional athlete :ols:

The worst sports injuries I've seen live are when Bears receiver Johny Knox broke his back, and the louisville basketball player snapped his shin in 2 in the ncaa tournament. But the worst sports injury I've ever seen has to be this one... horrifying I must say.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_McCallum

On September 5, 1994, during a Monday Night Football contest and the Raiders' opening game of the season at the San Francisco 49ers, McCallum's career ended prematurely when 49ers linebacker Ken Norton Jr. twisted him to the ground. As Norton and McCallum went down, McCallum's left cleat stuck in the ground, forcing his knee into a horrible dislocation. Norton lay pinned underneath a motionless McCallum for a couple of minutes while athletic trainers attended to McCallum.[7]

McCallum suffered a complete hyperextension of his left knee, almost to a right angle. He suffered a ruptured artery in his left knee, and tore three ligaments, tore the calf and hamstring from the bone, and suffered nerve damage in the knee. He initially thought he'd only face a lengthy rehab, but McCallum's surgeon told him that there was no chance of him ever being medically cleared to play again. The surgeon said that he normally didn't see leg injuries this severe except in car accidents. Had the surgery not gone as planned, there was a chance his left leg would have been amputated.[8]

Archived