Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

24 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Today, Rockefeller Republicans, or at least ones that fit the mould, are increasingly rare.  Many people who hold stances that would have been considered a part of the RR platform are today democrats.  The moderate wing of the GOP are sort of their descendants, but as time goes on the line is further and further blurred.  People like Colin Powell, for example, have called themselves Rockefeller Republicans, but  some have endorsed democrats in recent years (or like Lincoln Chafee, were Republicans before slowly evolving into Democrats).

I try to avoid labeling myself any more than necessary but this is pretty much how I identify.  I think gun control is the one big thing that is important to me that keeps me from switching to D.  If Lib's could actually become a major party, I'd be switching in a heartbeat.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, grego said:

I have friend (acquaintance, really) with whom I cant walk outside without him looking up and saying 'look, chemtrails'.

huge sandy hook, 9/11 conspiracy theorist.

really crazy stuff.

Me too.  Morons who are too moronic to know what morons they are.  

On the other hand, I'm smart enough to realize I'm not that smart.

What a weird and disheartening place we find ourselves in.

Still like the guy, we go way back, but I refuse to participate in those discussions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I try to avoid labeling myself any more than necessary but this is pretty much how I identify.  I think gun control is the one big thing that is important to me that keeps me from switching to D.  If Lib's could actually become a major party, I'd be witching in a heartbeat.

that fits, cuz I think libertarians are cool with witches, warlocks, druids and pagans. to each his own, and all.

:)

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Interesting fact, at least to me ... Eastern Mennonite University doesn't play the national anthem before games.

http://www.emu.edu/president/flag-anthem/

That is pretty interesting.  I am in no way an expert or pretend to know their (Mennonites level of faith), however, back in 2007, we were looking at putting our youngest in a Christian private school and visited a Mennonite School, what was weird about the visit was the absence of the American Flag on the flag pole.  Well, being in the Military I asked about it and I was told they do not put ANYTHING above their faith in GOD, to include the American Flag as they believe it contradicts the 10 Commandments (Specifically false Idols).   Well, it was a pretty quick visit and decision not to have our son enrolled in that school.

That being said, I have no idea of it is the same reasoning, just a very uneducated guess.

4 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Me too.  Morons who are too moronic to know what morons they are.  

On the other hand, I'm smart enough to realize I'm not that smart.

What a weird and disheartening place we find ourselves in.

Still like the guy, we go way back, but I refuse to participate in those discussions.

I basically live by that bolded part. lol.

ya, this guy isn't a dumb guy, but just has this sarcastic, I'm smarter than you, paranoid disposition that he seems to filter everything through.

he actually told me recently that it wasn't planes that hit the world trade center, it was missiles. (not even planes with bombs and/or missiles....just missiles). you have to be in a hell of a place to believe that.

• Like 1

Kareem Abdul Jabbar wrote a thoughtful op ed piece on this subject in today's Washington Post:

During the Olympics in Rio a couple of weeks ago, Army Reserve 2nd Lt. Sam Kendricks was sprinting intently in the middle of his pole vaulting attempt when he heard the national anthem playing. He immediately dropped his pole and stood at attention, a spontaneous expression of heartfelt patriotism that elicited more praise than his eventual bronze medal. Last Friday, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick chose not to stand with his teammates during the national anthem. To some, Kendricks embodies traditional all-American Forrest Gump values of patriotism, while Kaepernick represents the entitled brattish behavior of a wealthy athlete ungrateful to a country that has given him so much.

In truth, both men, in their own ways, behaved in a highly patriotic manner that should make all Americans proud.

The discussion of the nuances of patriotism is especially important right now, with Trump and Clinton supporters each righteously claiming ownership of the “most patriotic” label. Patriotism isn’t just getting teary-eyed on the Fourth of July or choked up at war memorials. It’s supporting what the Fourth of July celebrates and what those war memorials commemorate: the U.S. Constitution’s insistence that all people should have the same rights and opportunities and that it is the obligation of the government to make that happen. When the government fails in those obligations, it is the responsibility of patriots to speak up and remind them of their duty.

Rest:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/30/insulting-colin-kaepernick-says-more-about-our-patriotism-than-his/?utm_term=.45758878e547

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

They were slaves from the US who the British emancipated and enlisted.

After the war was over, the US wanted their "property" back, but the British told them to kick rocks and a lot of them moved to Canada, Trinidad, and England.

Yep.  George Washington himself demanded the slaves back, and Sir Guy Carleton (the new British commander sent to clean up the mess after the Brits surrendered) told Washington to go to hell and got them all out on British ships.   There was a sizeable black community set up in Nova Scotia, mostly in Halifax.  Some of them went to Sierra Leone too.  

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Nothing I've read states that.  Do you have any sources?

"At a meeting with George Washington, among others, to arrange for the implementation of those parts of the Treaty of Paris relating to the evacuation of New York City, then commanded by Carleton and still occupied by the British Army, many Loyalists and former slaves, Carleton refused to deliver over the human property to the Americans at the time of the British evacuation. Instead, he proposed a registry so that "the owners might eventually be paid for the slaves who were entitled to their freedom by British Proclamation and promises."

Sir Guy noted that nothing could be changed in any Articles that were inconsistent with prior policies or National Honour. He added that the only mode was to pay for the Negroes, in which case justice was done to all, the former slaves and the owners. Carleton said that it would be a breach of faith not to honour the British policy of liberty to the Negro and declared that if removing them proved to be an infraction of the treaty, then compensation would have to be paid by the British government. To provide for such a contingency, he had a register kept of all Negroes who left, called the Book of Negroes, entering their names, ages, occupations, and names of their former masters. The Americans agreed to this, but as far as can be determined, the Crown never paid compensation.[15] The British transported about 3,000 freedmen and other Loyalists to Nova Scotia for resettlement. As the colony struggled, some of the freedmen later chose in the early 1790s to go toFreetown, Sierra Leone, where the British set up a new colony, which included the Black Poor from London.

Washington disagreed with Sir Guy’s actions and wrote: "…the measure is totally different from the letter and spirit of the Treaty but waiving the specialty of the point, leaving this decision to our respective Sovereigns I find it my duty to signify my readiness in conjunction with you to enter into agreements, or take any measures which may be deemed expedient to prevent the future carrying away any Negroes or other property of the American people."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Carleton,_1st_Baron_Dorchester

• Like 5

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/veterans-for-kaepernick_us_57c6d704e4b0a22de09325f4?fxyimo41c18m2t9%3Futm_hp_ref=black-voices&ir=Black%2BVoices&section=black-voices&

U.S. Veterans Are Coming To Colin Kaepernick’s Defense In Droves

The hashtag #VeteransForKaepernick is taking off.

Kaepernick’s own former teammate, the Minnesota Vikings’ Alex Boone, for one, expressed his frustration with the quarterback’s protest on Sunday. Boone saw it as an affront to veterans, like Boone’s own brother. “You should have some (expletive) respect for people who served,” Boone told USA Today

Kaepernick has tried to make clear that he does not wish to disrespect any military veterans in the days since his protest. Rather, he believes the ideals for which they risk their lives are not being similarly protected at home. 

“I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country,” he said Sunday. “I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone.” 

But, he added. “People are dying in vain because this country isn’t holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody.”

*Click Link For More

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rskins06 said:

That is the great part of this.  The more I research and educate myself, the more I realize the lies which have been pushed forward and continue to be pushed forward to keep people in the dark and others in power.  I would ask for you to do the same, have you even opened up any of those videos?  I think you would be a little surprised and the information given out. 

You are "educating" yourself by going into an echo chamber and finding other people to repeat your misinformation to you.  That is the same thing that 9/11 Truthers and Holocaust deniers do.  

The GOP Southern Strategy and resulting post-civil rights era political alignment turning Southern conservatives from Democrats to GOP is basic history.   You literally would flunk American History 101 at any college in the nation - even the most conservative ones.

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Yet you ignore Affirmative Action and it's being used incorrectly for the benefit of blacks, minorities, and women

You come off as a 'know it all' and you're always right... hmmm and you'd like a meaningful conversation?

I'm the know it all yet you think Affirmative Action is a privilege.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

I'm the know it all yet you think Affirmative Action is a privilege.

How is it not? The way it was intended was to allow those that I mentioned to be equal with the "white man." If you think that's the way it's actually being used then I am not sure what to tell you...

7 minutes ago, Predicto said:

You are "educating" yourself by going into an echo chamber and finding other people to repeat your misinformation to you.  That is the same thing that 9/11 Truthers and Holocaust deniers do.  

The GOP Southern Strategy and resulting post-civil rights era political alignment turning Southern conservatives from Democrats to GOP is basic history.   You literally would flunk American History 101 at any college in the nation - even the most conservative ones.

No no no no no. Basic history as written by all those liberal scholars trying rewrite real history. 

11 minutes ago, Predicto said:

You are "educating" yourself by going into an echo chamber and finding other people to repeat your misinformation to you.  That is the same thing that Holocaust deniers do.  

Wow!!  It took you much longer to provide me with some additional teachings.  You must have been busy, I actually expected a response much sooner. 

It is amazing that I did graduate College then.  It's even better now to join the company of Holocaust deniers!   What is the old saying "Deny, Discredit, then make counter accusations".  Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I (or you) are entirely or partly wrong.  Again, thanks for the continued Bias History lesson though.  You are set in your beliefs just as much as I am.  So I will agree to disagree with you.

I am now going to go back and join my fellow Holocaust deniers and talk about how 9/11 was really a plan by President Bush to get us into a war.

51 minutes ago, grego said:

huge sandy hook, 9/11 conspiracy theorist.

of all the conspiracy theories out there, the sandy hook one has to be the lower bound on scale of maximum intelligence one can have while still believing in said conspiracy theory

once you get past the offensiveness that is that conspiracy theory, it becomes fascinating watching someone explain it. it's like their face is telling you: There is nothing behind here, it's just a void, yes I am as dumb as you think I am.

then you realize these people vote and you're back to being offended again.

36 minutes ago, grego said:

he actually told me recently that it wasn't planes that hit the world trade center, it was missiles. (not even planes with bombs and/or missiles....just missiles). you have to be in a hell of a place to believe that.

I imagine that's the result of the "missiles hit the pentagon, not a plane" conspiracy theory where enough dumb people got the building wrong when reciting the theory (which is common with conspiracy theorists, getting the details wrong) so now it's just spread as the world trade center that was hit by missiles. That's a hilarious transformation for that one to make.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rskins06 said:

Wow!!  It took you much longer to provide me with some additional teachings.  You must have been busy, I actually expected a response much sooner. 

It is amazing that I did graduate College then.  It's even better now to join the company of Holocaust deniers!   What is the old saying "Deny, Discredit, then make counter accusations".  Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I (or you) are entirely or partly wrong.  Again, thanks for the continued Bias History lesson though.  You are set in your beliefs just as much as I am.  So I will agree to disagree with you.

I am now going to go back and join my fellow Holocaust deniers and talk about how 9/11 was really a plan by President Bush to get us into a war.

this guy is exhibit A as to what will ultimately be this country's downfall

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Rskins06 said:

Good.  I think you can find lots of really good youtube videos about it.  

It will be just as true as the rest of the stuff you believe.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

You couldn't find a better exhibit of what the conservative media has created. "Anything factual that contradicts our view of the world is all spin from liberal academia, which is out to get us!!"

Yup, all of us in academia have secret meetings where we figure out our annual agenda to distort history and science against the righteous conservatives. Busted!

He has no idea how antithetical spinning and distorting the historical record for political motivations in your publications is in academia.  It's a cardinal sin.  It would get you run out of any institution that isn't some Christian clown college.  He thinks that the academic world is guilty of the very things that the agenda driven pseudo-scholars and conspiracy theorists he trusts do.

Rskins ask this question as a simple reality check:

- Without taking a dump all over Occam's razor by positing some absurd conspiracy theory about a mass brainwashing of black people by liberals, why is the black vote monolithically Democrat?  

In other words, if Democrats are the real racists and the GoP is the progressive, pro Civil Rights, then why do only 12 black people vote Republican?

13 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

How is it not? The way it was intended was to allow those that I mentioned to be equal with the "white man." If you think that's the way it's actually being used then I am not sure what to tell you...

Yeah

We can't have a reasonable conversation if you think an act designed to help oppressed persons, and hasn't even been effective with doing that, is a sign of privilege.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yeah

We can't have a reasonable conversation if you think an act designed to help oppressed persons, and hasn't even been effective with doing that, is a sign of privilege.

Has it helped with oppression? I know the majority of black people I've talked to are disgusted by it, why, because it's saying that they are placed in to jobs without actually earning it. It shameful. And its NOT done the way it was designed.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rskins ask this question as a simple reality check:

- Without taking a dump all over Occam's razor by positing some absurd conspiracy theory about a mass brainwashing of black people by liberals, why is the black vote monolithically Democrat?  

In other words, if Democrats are the real racists and the GoP is the progressive, pro Civil Rights, then why do only 12 black people vote Republican?

Because Democrats are tricksy and blacks are lazy and love free handouts, of course.  

13 minutes ago, zoony said:

this guy is exhibit A as to what will ultimately be this country's downfall

Really?  How so?

Because my thoughts are different than yours?  Because I don't just believe what a history book or political party tells me?  Or is it maybe I don't think like you  or have the same values, beliefs, etc, etc, etc? 

What part will actually cause the country's downfall?

My belief in capitalism?  My belief everyone should be treated equal and have equal opportunity to succeed without having a political party tell me I am helpless and need their assistance?  My belief in freedom of speech, freedom of religion?  Curious, what part of my thoughts are exhibit A and will ultimately lead to this countrys (one of which I love and have served for almost 20 yrs, 3 combat deployments, loss of friends, etc?)  Maybe it is because I don't believe the Gov't should have the power to control what I do, what I think or how I should believe. 

I disagreed, now I am part of the holocaust deniers because I don't believe as you do?