Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Tired of the white privilege bull****... It's rich people privilege, not just white people. I worked for everything I ****ing got, and worked my damn ass off, never handed a damn thing, I just happen to be white and I've made something of myself.

If you did benefit from white privilege though, would you even know what that looks like?

"may become president"

*wonders if this guy is actually paying attention*

oh but hey a shot at white privilege so everyone re-tweet and first bump

Just now, justice98 said:

If you did benefit from white privilege though, would you even know what that looks like?

please tell us all about the privilege we all enjoyed that you, who knows nothing about any of us, know all about

Just now, justice98 said:

I know many people from white AND black families that have been handed everything, BECAUSE, they came from rich families. Can the same thing 'privilege' come from Affirmative Action? I know it's intent, but can tell you first hand it's not being used the way it was originally intended. Not arguing, but throwing some thoughts out there.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I know many people from white AND black families that have been handed everything, BECAUSE, they came from rich families. Can the same thing 'privilege' come from Affirmative Action? I know it's intent, but can tell you first hand it's not being used the way it was originally intended. Not arguing, but throwing some thoughts out there.

I can respect that, and I wasnt making a judgement on how you got where you are, cuz I have no idea.  But you hear the defense against white privilege a lot of times about working hard, but that doesnt necessarily mean some less obvious privilege wasnt afforded.  The argument isnt whether white people work hard and earn what they have.  

I think the difference being that the white privilege would explain how white people are not being randomly pulled over for driving a Bentley. Or shot in the face for not putting their hands up when the police confront them. 

The same cannot always be said for a black rich person driving a Bentley or whatever. 

Frankly, I am not sure how that's even up for debate. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Tired of the white privilege bull****... It's rich people privilege, not just white people. I worked for everything I ****ing got, and worked my damn ass off, never handed a damn thing, I just happen to be white and I've made something of myself.

yet you ignore the racial tensions of police interactions

yet you ignore that "black sounding names" tend not to get called in for interviews.

You are white, and have no idea how your privilege works. Its fine, you are not supposed to know. Thats how privilege works.

I am a man and I dont know how my privilege works, yet my girlfriend tells me not being worried about sexual violence is one.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As it seems to me, trying to be objective, is that it likely included slaves (African) fighting for their freedom, slaves forced into service by the British, as well as non-slaves forced into service.

According to ththe Snopes article, there were two units of black slaves fighting for their freedom for the British.  However, there were 6,000 pieces of "property" to be returned after the war of 1812.  Leads me to believe that the British also took slaves for their own use.

That said, I don't and probably won't ever view the British as the "good guys" during colonialism.  Their power spread far, and we are the result of a rebellion to their rule.  White and black alike.  For as menacing as Americans were during that period, I firmly believe that th British were the enemy.

My whole thing, is that on social medial all I'm hearing is "Oooh, that racist, slave owning Francis Scott Key wrote about killing slaves in the National Anthem.  Secret verses ****es!!!"  And I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I think it's one of many social media pieces of misinformation floating around to incite anger and hatred, intended or not.

I linked yout the PBS article. It explains it in there. You should read it.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

So you're not going to tell us about the privilege we enjoy that you know all about despite not knowing anything about us?

Let's try this again.  The question mark at the end should have made it clear the sentence in question was to illicit further insight into the honorable gentleman's background. Because, as you state, I dont know anything about him. Hence the question.  

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Let's try this again.  The question mark at the end should have made it clear the sentence in question was to illicit further insight into the honorable gentleman's background. Because, as you state, I dont know anything about him. Hence the question.  

So the answer is no.

All I was looking for. Gratzi

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

As it seems to me, trying to be objective, is that it likely included slaves (African) fighting for their freedom, slaves forced into service by the British, as well as non-slaves forced into service.

According to ththe Snopes article, there were two units of black slaves fighting for their freedom for the British.  However, there were 6,000 pieces of "property" to be returned after the war of 1812.  Leads me to believe that the British also took slaves for their own use.

That said, I don't and probably won't ever view the British as the "good guys" during colonialism.  Their power spread far, and we are the result of a rebellion to their rule.  White and black alike.  For as menacing as Americans were during that period, I firmly believe that th British were the enemy.

My whole thing, is that on social medial all I'm hearing is "Oooh, that racist, slave owning Francis Scott Key wrote about killing slaves in the National Anthem.  Secret verses ****es!!!"  And I don't think that's entirely accurate.  I think it's one of many social media pieces of misinformation floating around to incite anger and hatred, intended or not.

That Snopes article does not give any indication that the British specifically enslaved blacks to fight for them, but instead lends speculation that they could've engaged in a practice of forcing enlistment upon defeated sailors, but zero indication that happened during this war. There is also no indication whatsoever the British considered the 6,000 Blacks property, that was the term used by the Americans. 

Now in regards to the Anthem, the words "hireling" references mercenaries the British hired to fight for them. The word "slave" is absolutely in reference to the men who fought for their freedom, against men who were ironically fighting for their own freedom too. 

19 hours ago, No Excuses said:

You can continue to ignore the politics of the 60s and the ties of Southern conservative ideology to racial segregation. But I'm going to try one last time to explain it to you.

If you want to examine segregationists on simple party labels, feel free to do so. Do you think the South was once liberal and was voting for liberal Democrats? The segregationists in the Democratic Party were pretty much all conservatives. There is nothing in their policies that resembles what the modern Democratic Party is, which is a left-wing liberal party. And the liberal Democrats knew what they had done in 1964, which was an end of their control of Southern politics. The coalition of southern conservative Democrats and liberal Democrats was effectively broken in 1964, although it had been on its way already. The South didn't vote for Democrats in national elections again until 1976, 1992 and 1996. And bleedout of conservative Democrats at the local and state level that gained steam in the 60s was pretty much done by the 90s.

To pretend that the modern Democratic Party resembles its counterparts in the 60s is flat out stupid. And I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you truly did not know this part of our history.

And plenty of Southern Democrats switched to the Republican Party. No idea where you get this factoid that it was only Storm Thurmond. Thurmond never came back to the Dems either so you are wrong on that too.

And Robert Byrd eventually came around to civil rights, openly renounced his racist past and did a decent amount of outreach to minorities, was even honored by the NAACP at his death. Do you have a problem with people who held racist views but eventually changed and apologized?

Anyways, this thread seems to be super OT so I'm going to step back. Enjoy your history lesson for the day.

I was going to let this all go but decided to do a little more research (I would have happily admitted my ignorance had I been proven wrong) because I think this is relevant to this argument / discussion.  Now, first and foremost, I know their is racism today and also believe that CK has the right to protest how he seems fit, whether I agree with it or not, doesn't matter, it is his right.  Now, to the whole "history lesson" I seem have been given (by a few) in an attempt to prove me wrong about the democrats, I appreciate it, however, just because you believe it to be true, does not make it so.  In these videos (some of you will not even open them up but will give an excuse why they don't need to look at them).  There is truth in these videos, whether you want to believe it or not.  The Democratic Party has done a masterful job selling a bunch of BS.  I am sure some will even try and discredit the information, not because it is not factual, but because it goes against the lies you have been taught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hPwp9wBhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdV9THNKSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QwMUjD8xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wz_0utCrm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeQzzwvUmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeQzzwvUmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuJbHkWgWM

I will wait with anticipation for my continued History lesson.

6 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

That Snopes article does not give any indication that the British specifically enslaved blacks to fight for them, but instead lends speculation that they could've engaged in a practice of forcing enlistment upon defeated sailors, but zero indication that happened during this war. There is also no indication whatsoever the British considered the 6,000 Blacks property, that was the term used by the Americans. 

Now in regards to the Anthem, the words "hireling" references mercenaries the British hired to fight for them. The word "slave" is absolutely in reference to the men who fought for their freedom, against men who were ironically fighting for their own freedom too. 

dont mind him, seriously. He arguing against facts at this point.

5 minutes ago, Rskins06 said:

I was going to let this all go but decided to do a little more research (I would have happily admitted my ignorance had I been proven wrong) because I think this is relevant to this argument / discussion. 

this is a really tragic post.

Privilege isn't uniform, and it is often rather sneaky, indeed it must be, overly obvious privilege is sometimes actionable as discrimination, and as such we don't see clear examples as often.

But instances can nonetheless be identified.  One example came from a study that showed AAs were given callbacks for interviews only 66% as often as whites with ALL factors held constant.  A black man with a clean record was as likely to get a job as a white felon.

There are issues at a variety of levels.  Education, early, primary, and secondary; criminal justice; corporate practices.

And please, please, PLEASE no more youtube videos from random "woke" people.

I swear, is it really that hard to cite to a well sourced paper, or book?

Like if we're gonna have dueling sources, can we at least not have one side throwing random woke youtubers as topic experts?  They're not.

• Like 4

what is wrong with you ****ing people???  Jesus Harold Christ.  

If Kap doesn't want to stand, for WHATEVER reason, who gives a ****?!  As a veteran, I don't feel disrespected.  it's his right not to.  That's what makes America so great.  He has the right to disagree.

That's the problem with America.  People can't wrap their simple-minded heads around the fact that somebody might disagree with them.  "Oh my god!  you disagree with my opinion?! You anti-American and a piece of ****! "

Go **** yourselves, you small-minded POSs.

• Like 2

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Family, you really need to educate yourself.

That is the great part of this.  The more I research and educate myself, the more I realize the lies which have been pushed forward and continue to be pushed forward to keep people in the dark and others in power.  I would ask for you to do the same, have you even opened up any of those videos?  I think you would be a little surprised and the information given out. 

But instead, you want to tell others to educate themselves. 

LBJ (you know, the one labeled a great supporter of the Civil Rights Act) was one of the BIGGEST RACIST Democrats but was able to blame others.  Would you be surprised if you learned of what he said about having AA (his ACTUAL words for African Americans is not something I feel comfortable saying much less typing) vote Democrat for the next 200 yrs. 

I think we are now entering the third stage of 'offense'. this is where the original offended party has now managed to offend the original offending party with the fact that they are offended because they believe they should not be offended in the first place.

occasionally- but not always- this is followed by stage 4, where the original offended party becomes offended by the original offenders subsequent offense.

good news is, that means its almost over.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rskins06 said:

That is the great part of this.  The more I research and educate myself, the more I realize the lies which have been pushed forward and continue to be pushed forward to keep people in the dark and others in power.  I would ask for you to do the same, have you even opened up any of those videos?  I think you would be a little surprised and the information given out. 

But instead, you want to tell others to educate themselves. 

LBJ (you know, the one labeled a great supporter of the Civil Rights Act) was one of the BIGGEST RACIST Democrats but was able to blame others.  Would you be surprised if you learned of what he said about having AA (his ACTUAL words for African Americans is not something I feel comfortable saying much less typing) vote Democrat for the next 200 yrs. 

I am gonna be honest with you. You do not know what you are talking about.

Instead of watching those YouTube videos, you would be better off just opening a book.

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

All we are missing is a Breitbart lesson on the Federal Reserve, the evil of the Hollywood Jews, and a message about how the guvment is controlling us through fluoridated water and childhood vaccines and we'll be all set. 

you must not forget chemtrails

• Like 1