Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The picture with those socks was from early August. Someone wanted to cause trouble but Kaepernick still should not wear them.

Kaep wore them. This isn't about someone wanting to cause trouble it's about a person who originally was exercising his right to peacefully protest being taken to task because he's an idiot. 

I don't agree with his decision to sit down during the anthem however I feel like he has every right to do so. This on the other hand is just childish. He's acting like a spoiled brat. 

Damn he is dumb.  The socks are stupid, no athlete like Ali, Kareem or Jackie Robinson would have done anything like that.  Granted, we're living in different times, but I still think it's a fair point.

The other thing is that he's gone from knucklehead (as pointed out by Predicto) to this social justice guy in a pretty short time.  He's like a rebel without a clue, or your football buddy who all of a sudden is interested in going to operas after dating a girl who's dragged him along to a few.

I'm not saying the guy can't think for himself, but:  http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/31/kaepernicks-support-of-black-lives-matter-began-after-dating-activist-dj/

Pretty sure I saw a similar link here somewhere.

Dude's just a puppet, I doubt he's ever had a thought of his own on these matters.  

25 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He could spin the ball after every first down and give a demonstrative point, but I guess that was taken...

Maybe he could get a mirror and start French kissing it after every first down. That would fit in pretty well too. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking a lot about this.  Here's my two cents.

Kaepernick says he is doing this to bring attention to racial inequality, police brutality, and oppression of black people.  Here's the the thing though - nobody is talking about that stuff.  All they are talking about is him not standing up for the national anthem.  That's it.

If he really wanted to make a stand or create change, he could be going out into the community and giving speeches.  He would attend community meetings and talk to leaders.  He isn't doing anything except being an ass.

To me, standing for the national anthem means you love and respect your country.  He has the right and power to leave this country and live in another one if he wants.  And that goes for any other minority who feels oppressed in the United States of America.  It seems to me, if things were that bad they would want to live somewhere else.

Do things need to change?  Yes.  Police brutality is a horrible thing.  Racism is a horrible thing.  But things like this only highlight the bad.  Can we stop and appreciate our country for once?  This is a great country.  A spectacular one.  There are so many worse countries out there where oppression, violence, and bigotry are the norm, and governments are corrupt.  Columbia, Israel, Algeria, Russia....the list goes on and on.

So in conclusion, I don't think acts like these help at all.  They only stir controversy and create friction between people. 

One other thing, he stated, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

This is such a false statement.  The United States is the most diverse, welcoming country in the world.  There are communities of so many different races and ethnicities.  People of all backgrounds are able to attend school, work hard, and make good lives for themselves.  That isn't oppression, that is opportunity.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 2

IMO, players should be held to a higher standard. Kaepernick is on the clock. His actions are a reflection of the NFL.

I am on my last year of my contact...4x FedEx Club seats. I will see this year how the NFL handles this. Unfortunately, it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario. For me, I pay over $13,000 a year to watch football, not politics. If Kaepernick, or other players start making political statements on the field, I will not be giving the NFL my money next season.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Damn he is dumb.  The socks are stupid, no athlete like Ali, Kareem or Jackie Robinson would have done anything like that.  Granted, we're living in different times, but I still think it's a fair point.

The other thing is that he's gone from knucklehead (as pointed out by Predicto) to this social justice guy in a pretty short time.  He's like a rebel without a clue, or your football buddy who all of a sudden is interested in going to operas after dating a girl who's dragged him along to a few.

I'm not saying the guy can't think for himself, but:  http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/31/kaepernicks-support-of-black-lives-matter-began-after-dating-activist-dj/

Dude's just a puppet, I doubt he's ever had a thought of his own on these matters.  

Ali might have.

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

Ali might have.

Eh, maybe.  Part of his persona was humor, but the socks aren't really that funny no matter how you cut it, they're just dumb.  And I've got the maturity of a 4th grader.  

I don't see Ali being mean towards anyone other than his opponents.  IIRC from what I know about his social activism, he wasn't mean towards the people or system he was speaking out against.  He wasn't degrading anyone.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You wouldnt have supported Kareem or Ali in any protest they did in their era, so don't evoke those names. No that he could have done would have been "correct" for you, so do not use these socks as your excuse to not rock with him.

And LOL at not being able to think for himself when he has done one of the most courageous things a high profile NFL player in generations.

1 hour ago, Joe Porto said:

IMO, players should be held to a higher standard. Kaepernick is on the clock. His actions are a reflection of the NFL.

I am on my last year of my contact...4x FedEx Club seats. I will see this year how the NFL handles this. Unfortunately, it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario. For me, I pay over $13,000 a year to watch football, not politics. If Kaepernick, or other players start making political statements on the field, I will not be giving the NFL my money next season.

should the NFL incarcerate him? will that make you feel better.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

Here's the the thing though - nobody is talking about that stuff.  All they are talking about is him not standing up for the national anthem.  That's it.

you know why? because mainstream Americae dont want to talk about that stuff. And they werent before that. Its now on peoples minds whereas it wasnt before.

What is interesting about this is that A LOT of people have learned that Star Spangled Banner was racist and it reopened that Francis Scott Key was racist. IT also taught people what inspired the National Anthem in the first place.

2 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

Kaep wore them. This isn't about someone wanting to cause trouble it's about a person who originally was exercising his right to peacefully protest being taken to task because he's an idiot. 

I don't agree with his decision to sit down during the anthem however I feel like he has every right to do so. This on the other hand is just childish. He's acting like a spoiled brat. 

he wore them weeks ago, but I never said it was the right thing to do.

The next step is we are going to find comments he made as a 16 year old and use that to discredit his protest.

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

To me, standing for the national anthem means you love and respect your country.  He has the right and power to leave this country and live in another one if he wants. 

With a position like this, Kaepernick not only believes in the constitution more than you do, but does not have fascist/unAmerican tendencies like you have shown with this statement.

• Like 1
Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

You wouldnt have supported Kareem or Ali in any protest they did in their era, so don't evoke those names. No that he could have done would have been "correct" for you, so do not use these socks as your excuse to not rock with him.

And LOL at not being able to think for himself when he has done one of the most courageous things a high profile NFL player in generations.

What? 

Ok, wanna tell me what else I would or wouldn't do?  You seem to have a good grasp on everything I think or feel, so tell me what else I think.  

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

With a position like this, Kaepernick not only believes in the constitution more than you do, but does not have fascist/unAmerican tendencies like you have shown with this statement.

No, I don't think he should be incarcerated. He should be reprimanded, and if he still refuses to stand, he can stay in the locker room until after the anthem.

As far as the constitution, again...Kaepernick is on the clock. The COTUS does not apply. But the standards set by the NFL do. And to be honest, the NFL is allowed to set its own standards, but if I don't agree with them, it is my choice not to give them revenue. Again, I am paying to see football. When a player is on the field, he is paid to entertain me. He is not paid to school me on social injustice or politics. He can do that on his own time.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Joe Porto said:

No, I don't think he should be incarcerated. He should be reprimanded, and if he still refuses to stand, he can stay in the locker room until after the anthem.

As far as the constitution, again...Kaepernick is on the clock. The COTUS does not apply. But the standards set by the NFL do. And to be honest, the NFL is allowed to set its own standards, but if I don't agree with them, it is my choice not to give them revenue. Again, I am paying to see football. When a player is on the field, he is paid to entertain me. He is not paid to school me on social injustice or politics. He can do that on his own time.

Is Kaepernick sitting or kneeling going to, in any way, interfere with your enjoyment of the game?

5 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Is Kaepernick sitting or kneeling going to, in any way, interfere with your enjoyment of the game?

As I said in my first post, if the NFL allows players to continue to use their presence on the field to express social or political views, then yes, it is a distraction, and I will not renew my tickets next year.

52 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

What? 

Ok, wanna tell me what else I would or wouldn't do?  You seem to have a good grasp on everything I think or feel, so tell me what else I think.  

I know you wouldnt have supported Ali not fighting in Vietnam and Kareem boycotting the Olympics. Thats based off what you write in these threads. 

If this is your ExtremeSkins persona, then thats on you for representing yourself that way.

41 minutes ago, Joe Porto said:

cry yourself a river.

If someone not standing up for the anthem before a game distracts from your enjoyment of the game that follows, then you are the most sensitive human being in the history of this country.

38 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Yeah, sorry Benning but you're going off the deep end. People are giving their positions and opinions on this matter and you're freaking out about it. 

So I am not allowed to do that as well? 

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
47 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

First of all, don't call me fascist or unAmerican.  I was born here and love my country just as much as anyone.  I work and pay my taxes.  While Colin Kaepernick is driving around in his BMW, I am a social worker and work for 18 bucks an hour.  I am talking to and helping all the minorities that he claims to care so deeply about.  I work to help disadvantaged people, and have been every since I graduated from college in 2004.  So don't ever come at me with that again.

Secondly, my only point with that statement was to say that I think standing for the anthem is a sign of respect and love.  Colin Kapernick has been afforded so many opportunities in this country.  He has a great life.  I haven't heard him utter one comment about being appreciative of the lifestyle he has been granted.  And if he were miserable, I would expect him to want to live somewhere else.  Period, end of story, that's all I was getting at with that comment.

Now, the thing I do like about his protest is precisely that he is able to do it.  He has freedom of speech (as pretty much everyone has pointed out).  And I respect his cause.  If you had bothered to read my other points, there are a lot of problems in this country that need to be fixed.  There is a lot of inequality.  But there are also lots of good things, more so than a lot of other places in the world.

I like that he is doing this to stand up for those that are truly oppressed - and I think the motive in his mind comes specifically from police brutality.  And I love that he is given the right to do so. 

4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

cry yourself a river.

If someone not standing up for the anthem before a game distracts from your enjoyment of the game that follows, then you are the most sensitive human being in the history of this country.

Sorry snowflake, but you're the one getting all butt hurt over the opinions of strangers on an internet forum.

Just now, abdcskins said:

First of all, don't call me fascist or unAmerican. 

when you tell someone to leave this country because they wont stand for an anthem, thats fascist and not following American principles. So, I can call you that because thats the thinking you exhibitl.

I was born here and love my country just as much as anyone.  I work and pay my taxes.  While Colin Kaepernick is driving around in his BMW, I am a social worker and work for 18 bucks an hour.  I am talking to and helping all the minorities that he claims to care so deeply about.  I work to help disadvantaged people, and have been every since I graduated from college in 2004.  So don't ever come at me with that again.

awesome. I am happy that you do this work but that does not change what you stated earlier, which was fascist and un American.

Secondly, my only point with that statement was to say that I think standing for the anthem is a sign of respect and love.  Colin Kapernick has been afforded so many opportunities in this country.  He has a great life.  I haven't heard him utter one comment about being appreciative of the lifestyle he has been granted.  And if he were miserable, I would expect him to want to live somewhere else.  Period, end of story, that's all I was getting at with that comment.

Some of us see it differently. I think living in America, respecting peoples rights and views and wanting to truly see a more perfect union is a sign of respect and love. Waaaaay more than standing for the anthem and wearing an American lapel.

Now, the thing I do like about his protest is precisely that he is able to do it.  He has freedom of speech (as pretty much everyone has pointed out).  And I respect his cause.  If you had bothered to read my other points, there are a lot of problems in this country that need to be fixed.  There is a lot of inequality.  But there are also lots of good things, more so than a lot of other places in the world.

I like that he is doing this to stand up for those that are truly oppressed - and I think the motive in his mind comes specifically from police brutality.  And I love that he is given the right to do so. 

So then why should he leave this country for not standing for the anthem? Did Kaepernick say he hates this country and wants to renounce his citizenship? You are contradicting yourself. You cant respect his and appreciate that he has the right to protest but then turn around and say he should leave the country because of said protest.

2 minutes ago, Joe Porto said:

Sorry snowflake, but you're the one getting all butt hurt over the opinions of strangers on an internet forum.

a) sugar, im not butthurt or upset. I am only responding to comments.

b)small fry, the irony is that you are the one butthurt over someone you have never interacted with and will never interact with. You are the one who said you would stop attending games if players continue to protest issues. These players, who would not acknowledge you if you were in a room with them because they do not know you. So twinkle toes, look in a mirror.

I'm not going to quote you, but you are misinterpreting everything I said.  I didn't say he should leave the country.  I am using it as a hyperbole to highlight my point of people being unappreciative of the rights and lifestyles they have been given.

If someone hates the country they live in, I would expect them to want to live somewhere else.  Does that not sound logical?  Just like people in Syria are fleeing their country because of war and famine.

Do they have to leave?  Not at all, not even sure where you got them from.  I never once said he should.  He can do whatever he wants, that's what is great about the USA.  I like that he is trying to pioneer change.  There should be change.  I just don't think he fully grasps exactly how fortunate he and other people are to live in such a great country.

If you wanna see oppression, move to Zimbabwe or Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

a) sugar, im not butthurt or upset. I am only responding to comments.

b)small fry, the irony is that you are the one butthurt over someone you have never interacted with and will never interact with. You are the one who said you would stop attending games if players continue to protest issues. These players, who would not acknowledge you if you were in a room with them because they do not know you. So twinkle toes, look in a mirror.

If the league allows this to become the norm, which will distract from the game, I will not continue to give them revenue. Sorry that offends you, snowflake. But keep up the good fight.