Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

wolfsire

I like the solo toward the end of Let It Rain.  Let it Rain is probably my favorite Clapton song.  Here is my friend Bob playing that solo.  He used to brag back in high school that he could play it note for note. Then he spent the next decade learning how.  He finally nailed it, I think. 

He really gets started at about :38 seconds in.  Watch his subtle "victory stare" right at the end:

8 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Clapton.   Duane was a great slide soloist, but Clapton was so much more precise and versatile.  Listen to this clip that isolates both of their playing on Layla.   Duane really had the easy part mostly just noodling around - Clapton held the song together perfectly.

http://www.guitarworld.com/eric-clapton-and-duane-allmans-isolated-guitar-tracks-layla

However, Duane has the advantage of dying young, which means we only know him at his greatest.  Many legends are like that.  Imagine how much less cool Jimi Hendrix would be if we had 40 years of him playing at the Greater Scranton Summer Festival, etc.  He would be full Beach Boys by now. 

Obviously, dying young is the best thing you can do in music.

Though if Duane had lived, I think the Allmans would basically been a larger version of what they were - a Southern Grateful Dead. Despite the fact they were all serious addicts, the core of that group stayed together forever.

I had a really interesting conversation yesterday about how music acts can just tour forever now and make a decent living, because they are 10 gazillion music venues out there. The Blues Brothers famously saved the careers of all those R&B and blues artists who were largely just sitting at home when it came out. In 1980, Aretha Franklin couldn't find a venue to sing in. But today, every town with more than 10,000 people has a decent 800 seat theater and Air Supply is playing there tonight.

My in-laws live in The Villages in Florida which is an over 55 community of 100,000 people where everyone can afford a half million dollar home on a golf course. From them I learned that not only is Chubby Checker still alive but he can sell 2,000 tickets in a single night.

Thing is Clapton was really good at just being good. Beck, Hendrix, Page, Van Halen, etc. were all revolutionary is some capacity. Duane Allman should be included in the revolutionary aspect due to the introduction of the slide guitar vocabulary. In all seriousness, what is he known for besides being "Slowhand"? Great guitar player and influential, but guys like Ginger, Jack, Duane, etc. were part of the creative process that defined his genius. The guys I mentioned earlier were geniuses without the help.

I find Eric Clapton's solo work to be completely boring and lifeless, great guitar work attempting to balance out weak songs and singing.

But Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is brilliant. There have been times when I've honest to God NEEDED this album and it's always been there for me. It hurts like any good blues music ought to hurt. There's real pain in those songs and it took a broken heart, Duane Allman and an obscene amount of heroin to get Clapton there. He was never anywhere near that good again.

The guitar solos on Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad are among my favorite moments in rock history. 

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Riggo, good point, but wasn't Page already there?

I ask just because I don't know completely.

Page was a studio guitarist at the start.  When Clapton left the Yardbirds and Page signed up, he originally played bass with Beck as the lead guitarist.   He eventually moved to co-lead guitar with Beck, then became the sole lead guitar when the band kicked Beck out of the group because of drug issues and reliability problems.  

It really wasn't until Beck was gone and the Yardbirds were starting to implode (around 1967-1968) that Page began to get experimental.  Clapton (and Beck) were much more musically significant up until that point).   Of course, right after that Page went on to destroy the world with Led Zep.      

4 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

Riggo, good point, but wasn't Page already there?

I ask just because I don't know completely.

No, but....Page was the engineer on the album, and had to fight with all the other sound engineers to let Clapton play at the volume he needed. Page was the studio guitarist on You Really Got Me a year earlier (64), which introduced the distorted rhythm guitar sound - there's an eternal debate over whether Dave Davies or Jimmy Page played that part. Page played the solo, but the tone on it sounds absolutely primitive compared to Clapton a year later. 

Sorry, I'm letting my geekdom show. I guess I do miss building guitars...

To nitpick here...

Page was originally asked to replace Clapton in the Yardbirds, but turned it down out of loyalty to his buddy Eric. He pointed the manager Giorgio Giomolsky (sp?) to Beck instead. Some time later, singer Keith Relf got ****faced at a gig, and bassist Paul Samwell Smith quit in disgust. Page went backstage after the gig and saw the argument break out, and offered to play bass. Page had played some guitar on the Yardbirds previous LP commonly known as Roger the Engineer (He was the other lead in Pscho-Daisies and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago), so they all knew each other well. Beck fell ill during the next tour, so rhythm guitarist Chris Dreja switched to bass and Page switched to guitar. Beck came back and for one tour there was actually Beck and Page together as dual (and dueling) guitarists, years before the Allman Brothers made such a setup commonplace. Tragically the only thing recorded from that time was the song Stroll On (a rewritten version of Train Kept a Rolling to allow for its use in the film Blow Up without fighting over usage rights).  Beck hated travelling and quit the group (or more likely was fired, depending on whom you believe), and Page became the sole guitarist. The band broke up after their next album was a commercial failure, but Page didn't want to go back to being a studio guy, so he recruited fellow studio musician John Paul Jones to form a new group that would tour the US as The New Yardbirds. Upon hearing of Page's plan, Who drummer Keith Moon snickered "that'll go over like a lead zeppelin."

As I understand it, Samwell-Smith left mostly because he preferred producing music to performing it.  His fight with Relf was just the excuse.  He went on to a very successful career producing Cat Stevens and lots of other musicians.  

And Beck got kicked out mostly for being a chronic no-show at gigs.  

That's a cool remake of Wicked Game. Years ago when I was taking voice lessons my teacher had me work on that song to practice switching from chest to head voice.

Since this thread has now mentioned Otis Redding, Jimmy Page, and remakes, here is my favorite singer Paul Rodgers with Jimmy Page doing a cover of the aforementioned Otis Redding tune.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, Riggo-toni said:

Bit.of trivia - Clapton auctioned off the strat he played on the Layla LP to raise money for Crossroads and it went for half a million dollars.

Oh, for a lottery winning ticket!

Didn't know you sing...that's awesome!   Great song, and I'm a Daughtry fan, so that came together most beautifully, I thought.  Glad someone enjoyed it.

On 8/30/2016 at 8:56 AM, Riggo-toni said:

Clapton revolutionized guitar tone. Guitar sound changed overnight from the twangy thin sounds of yesteryear to the thick full tones Clapton introduced on the seminal 65 Bluesbreakers album.

I always thought Carlos Santana had that same tone, though he did something a little different with it.  I don't know he got it from Clapton but it sounds rich in the same way.

4 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I always thought Carlos Santana had that same tone, though he did something a little different with it.  I don't know he got it from Clapton but it sounds rich in the same way.

That's an astute comparison, IMO. Clapton got there first, as Riggo says, but both of them were after a similar effect: that saturated, singing midrange tone that could sustain a note for days.

Santana could've easily used the same equipment as Clapton if he'd wanted to, but instead he was using a setup that nobody else had, so I doubt he was copying Eric in any way. Santana was nothing if not original.

Archived