Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

wolfsire

20 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That video is so 80s it hurts!  What were you thinking, Billy?!?

Totally agree.  Holy literal crap. 

If we're gonna talk love songs, how about "Save Your Love" by Great White?  (Their "Unplugged" performance of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" back in the 80s is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, btw.)

10 minutes ago, Busch1724 said:

LBK...similar feelings here. What are we considering "Clapton" albums?

Bell Bottom Blues is phenomenal and I love the coda to Layla more so than the rest of the song.

Honestly, I'm including everything - Cream, Bad Faith, Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, solo......

I think he's best served by Best Ofs and his box set.

Slowhand is pretty close to classic, though I sort of hate "Cocaine."

I like the live version of Cocaine off of Just One Night.  Sick to death of the studio version.

To me this is the only album where Clapton sounds great playing a Strat. What made his stuff with Cream and John Mayall so incredible was the tone and the vibrato. All of that is lost playing a Fender, and he over compensates by grossly overplaying and/or turning the tone knob too far down.

What's amazing about Disraeli Gears and its successor Wheels of Fire is how different the guitar sounds from one album to the next. On Disraeli Gears, Clapton showcases his "woman tone" -overdriving the amp with the volume on 10, but the tone knob turned all the way down. For Wheels of Fire he switches to the bridge pickup and goes for a biting bright tone. Strange Brew and Born Under a Bad Sign are both played in the style of Albert King, yet the sound is remarkably different, and in both cases seems perfect for the underlying composition.

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think you can make an argument that this is the only great Eric Clapton album and it's exceptional.

I think Clapton is simply a sideman at heart and needs to play with other alpha dogs in order to really make magic.

"Bell Bottom Blues" is my favorite here for what it's worth.

Yeah I like his stuff with Cream and Derek & the Dominoes way more than any of his solo stuff. Haven't listened much to the Yardbirds. 

4 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I like the live version of Cocaine off of Just One Night.  Sick to death of the studio version.

To me this is the only album where Clapton sounds great playing a Strat. What made his stuff with Cream and John Mayall so incredible was the tone and the vibrato. All of that is lost playing a Fender, and he over compensates by grossly overplaying and/or turning the tone knob too far down.

TOTALLY agree about the live version of Cocaine. 

"Forever Man" is one of my very favorite songs.   Something about that opening lick gives me goosebumps. 

Interesting factoid about Forever Man- the record execs insisted on him recording it. They were unhappy with what he had done so far on the album with Phil Collins (and rightfully so), and made him come to LA and record 3 more songs written by one of their guys. He recorded it with studio musicians, including Steve Lukather from Toto. It is a cool riff for sure - simple yet powerful.

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yeah I like his stuff with Cream and Derek & the Dominoes way more than any of his solo stuff. Haven't listened much to the Yardbirds. 

The best Yardbirds stuff is with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, not Clapton, IMO.   Clapton was a straight blues-imitator and still developing his own style when he was a Yardbird.

49 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Let's hear your hot music takes.

Who is better: Clapton or Duane Allman?

Clapton.   Duane was a great slide soloist, but Clapton was so much more precise and versatile.  Listen to this clip that isolates both of their playing on Layla.   Duane really had the easy part mostly just noodling around - Clapton held the song together perfectly.  

http://www.guitarworld.com/eric-clapton-and-duane-allmans-isolated-guitar-tracks-layla

However, Duane has the advantage of dying young, which means we only know him at his greatest.  Many legends are like that.  Imagine how much less cool Jimi Hendrix would be if we had 40 years of him playing at the Greater Scranton Summer Festival, etc.  He would be full Beach Boys by now.  

19 minutes ago, Predicto said:

The best Yardbirds stuff is with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, not Clapton, IMO.   Clapton was a straight blues-imitator and still developing his own style when he was a Yardbird.

Definitely true! The only Clapton numbers with the Yardbirds where his guitar work stands out are I Ain't Got You and Got to Hurry.

Beck and for a brief moment Page really pushed the envelope on creativity, particularly when it came to mixing in eastern musical influences on songs like Heart Full of Soul and Glimpses.

Archived