Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

Rubber, meet road.

Sounds like a soft Brexit is unacceptable to these guys, but the reality is that a soft Brexit is the only way to avoid massive economic peril.

Unless the rumors that Russian connections are bad comes to fruition, but it doesn't seem that way (at least with regards to everyone not named Boris).

May is in a tough spot.

• Like 1

The modern UK economy is inextricably linked to the EU. The politicians pushing for exit made no analysis of consequences, and any solution they try to concoct that doesn't create massive damage to the UK economy will as a consequence will be keeping much EU influence, which the exiteers won't accept.

• Like 1

The thing about populist revolts is that they are very rarely well thought out and usually run by the lowest common denominator because populism appeals to our most basic, primal instincts. 

A recipe for disaster in a global, interconnected world that requires foresight and expert analysis.

Anyone with half a functioning brain saw this disaster coming.

• Like 3

May has an opening here, if she wants it.

Probably doesn't because it's the stuff of movies, but its there.

A UK citizen just died due to Russian nerve gas attack residue.

That is what we used to call an act of war.

May doesn't have to start an actual war but this is the perfect opportunity to take a hard line against Russian interests in the UK.

Further, she can then extricate herself from the Brexit disaster by declaring Brexit off.  She can play up the electoral misconduct of Leave, the interference of Russia, and talk about the importance of presenting a united front against Russian interference and encroachment.

She can even throw Trump under the bus a little for good measure, saying that with their close ally, the US, seemingly led by a Russian agent at this time, the UK, now more than ever, must be a member of Europe.

Then she appeals to Donald Tusk and crew, who seem to have given her an opening with:

Almost as if they call off Brexit, everything goes back to normal.

I'm sure it's more complex than that, but it seems like the EU might be cool with helping to rewind the clock.

But May obviously would be taking on a lot of political fire for such a thing, and it could always backfire depending in the circumstances.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

What a mess! :table2:

Yea it is.  I feel like it deserves more attention but with the current trainwreck that is our own current government, this gets put on the back burner in regards to the amount of my attention it gets.  To the point that I have lost track of the different players and which are the idiots and which are the sane ones.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

The thing about populist revolts is that they are very rarely well thought out and usually run by the lowest common denominator because populism appeals to our most basic, primal instincts. 

A recipe for disaster in a global, interconnected world that requires foresight and expert analysis.

Anyone with half a functioning brain saw this disaster coming.

This could probably go in the Society Playing Out thread but I fell like the rise of nationalism across the globe is going to end badly.  Look at Mexico's new president, our own president, this whole Brexit thing.  Didn't Canada have someone along this line that got more support than they should have also?  And then I feel like there was something in Spain or something.  I can't keep them all straight anymore.  Which ones am I missing?

This can't be good in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

May has an opening here, if she wants it.

[and the rest of this excellent post]

She could do all of that, and then declare Brexit off until another round of elections, which I believe she can call of at any time.  Then hopefully the British people will take the vote seriously this time.  

I think Boris Johnson is (and has been) playing the long con here.   I think he never wanted to be PM after Brexit, despite him being one of the primary proponents.   He doesn't want to be responsible for it b/c he knows it will be a ****show.   So he lets someone else take the fall until after the UK exits the EU and the inevitable economic fallout, then he points fingers at the PM and claims he would have "gotten a better deal" and wins the PM chair when the UK is at rock bottom economically.