Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

This seems really bad.  Like probably worse than what is going on in America bad.  Who is still pushing pro-Brexit and what is their reasoning?  And how do they plan on dealing with all this?  Are they pretty much the "GOP of Britian" in their level of thinking?

• Like 1

There are believers in Brexit on both sides of the political spectrum, although it could be argued that the main driver has been the eurosceptic arm of the ruling conservative party. We don't really have a direct comparison to the GOP. The conservatives are the closest you'll get, but they don't push the Christian narrative, support for the right to bear arms etc. Politics is a slightly different beast in the UK.

The belief of those who support leaving is that having full sovereignty with control over our own laws and borders in the long term is well worth the short term pain that will be caused upon leaving. They argue that none of the fearmongering about what would happen as a result has come true. The current narratives about a no-deal crash out from the EU are just another part of "Project Fear" as they describe it.

Truth is, nothing much has changed because it hasn't happened yet and it won't until it does. We won't really know whether the right choice was made for some time yet and even then I suspect both sides will argue the success/failure by cherry picking their evidence to fit their own narrative. Is it worse then what you guys are going through? At the moment, I'd say possibly not since the full nature of what will happen is yet to be revealed. Doesn't mean it won't go that way.

My guess is that there will be winners and losers and the biggest winners will be those who recognise the opportunities it brings and take advantage. But the mess we're experiencing now is, despite their denials, exactly the mess that leavers voted for. There never was a succession plan for the government to install a PM who believes in Brexit to begin with. None of the promises made were made by anybody with a mandate to do so, so we're stuck with a battle between the damage limitation mindset and the hard brexit mindset that won't accept any alignment with EU laws that might undermine what they consider to be complete control of our own.

Edited by my_friend_goo
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Wait until the trade war kicks in before we gloat.

You have to think though, that should Trump fail to secure a second term his replacement will hit the undo button on that as a priority. Unless it turns out to be an unparalleled success, of course. Might take some effort repairing relationships, but I'd think most parties would be willing to put an end to it all.

Not such a chance if Brexit turns out to be a disaster, though.

• Sad 1

I think the best plan now is probably a hard Brexit, but which is phased in over several years somehow.  The UK being part of the EU one day, and then gone  the next day would be a disaster.   So maybe you start customs checks for certain goods, but not for others.   Any tariffs would agree to be phased in over time, not hit all at once.  Not sure how they would deal with immigration. 

On 01/08/2018 at 9:34 PM, FanboyOf91 said:

get your **** together, Emm

King Arrogant Contemptuous mafia has been exposed once again. The investigation committee run by one of his minion refused to question some of his buddies while they couldn't escape from the senate questioning ! Before being questioned they took an oath to tell the truth, minister of state, prefect, police head chief all Lied. When facing the most disturbing questions they pretended they didn't know anything and ultimately, like the minister of state, he charged the prefect and some close buddies of king macron.

I wish perjury should be punished the hard way like in the USA. I've been claiming before he got elected that this dude is a major fraud, he's pissing on our shoes and doesn't even bother telling us it's raining !

He even shout angrily at the medias "they can come and get me" ! While knowing the justice can't unless for an impeachment reason.

What an arrogant prick.

Macron's Blunt Response to Bodyguard Scandal Sparks Fresh Anger

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1