Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Former Saints DE Will Smith Shot and Killed

CRobi21

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4c00abd8da5e418f8fd75f7e6b603e5e/former-saints-defensive-end-will-smith-shot-and-killed

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Former New Orleans Saints player Will Smith was shot and killed early Sunday after a traffic accident.

An emailed statement from New Orleans city coroner Jeffrey C. Rouse said that Smith died "of multiple gunshot wounds" after a traffic accident on Camp Street. The former defensive end was 34 years old. No other information was released.

A tweet from the verified account of Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications and broadcasting, expressed condolences to Smith's family.

Smith leaves behind a wife, Racquel, and three children.

CfqVVhqUAAATAh1.jpg

It appears Cardell could afford his Hummer the new fashioned way, suing/litigation: "Hayes' father Anthony Hayes, who was mentally ill, was shot nine times and killed by New Orleans police officers in December 2005 after confronting them with a knife, according to court records. Hayes sued the city over the death in 2006; the case was settled five years later on undisclosed terms."

EVERYTHING about this is sad & messed up. This kind of event never goes away.  My father was murdered 40 years ago.  Not a day goes by that, for at least a fleeting moment (now), that I don't think of it.  I was in eighth grade.  Just....sad.  RIP & healing to the survivors.  

This story is bizarre.  Getting the feeling Smith was targeted. 

The New Orleans Advocate reports Will Smith ate dinner with former New Orleans police captain Billy Ceravolo shortly before being murdered. Ceravolo was a defendant in a high-profile lawsuit filed by Cardell Hayes over the shooting death of Hayes’s father in 2005. The Advocate reports Ceravolo, who was personal friends of both Smith and Pierre Thomas, was not at the scene of the shooting. The original story continues below.

Link

Yeah, this was not some random road rage act. This was premeditated murder.

The cop claims he had no idea that he was even listed as a defendant in the Hayes case. Now there are reports coming out that Hayes followed a car (assumed to be Smith) in an attempt to get a license plate number after a vehicle struck his. To me, the connection with the cop sounds like some coincidental connection that the media ran with. But what do I know? I would wait until all the details are out before I started proclaiming "premeditated murder".

The cop claims he had no idea that he was even listed as a defendant in the Hayes case. Now there are reports coming out that Hayes followed a car (assumed to be Smith) in an attempt to get a license plate number after a vehicle struck his. To me, the connection with the cop sounds like some coincidental connection that the media ran with. But what do I know? I would wait until all the details are out before I started proclaiming "premeditated murder".

I thought Hayes' car struck the Smith's car from behind?  If this is true, why would Hayes be the one chasing Smith down for a plate #? 

Too many coincidences here for me to believe that this wasn't planned out...

*edit*

I just read the update on Deadspin and they (defense) mentioned that Hayes was pursuing another vehicle that supposedly his. 

It's still a bit far-fetched. 

The pictures I saw yesterday on NOLA.com showed who I assume to be Smith, slumped over the steering wheel of his car. 

I thought Hayes' car struck the Smith's car from behind? If this is true, why would Hayes be the one chasing Smith down for a plate #?

Too many coincidences here for me to believe that this wasn't planned out...

*edit*

I just read the update on Deadspin and they (defense) mentioned that Hayes was pursuing another vehicle that supposedly his.

It's still a bit far-fetched.

The pictures I saw yesterday on NOLA.com showed who I assume to be Smith, slumped over the steering wheel of his car.

Video is out this morning showing Smith rear ending the hummer then leaving the accident and the hummer pursued. Smith drew first blood

Video is out this morning showing Smith rear ending the hummer then leaving the accident and the hummer pursued. Smith drew first blood

Yea...my theories have pretty much gone out the window. 

Cellphone video taken moments after former New Orleans Saints star Will Smith was shot dead recorded an unidentified bystander saying the athlete was the first to claim to have a gun.

The witness doesn’t name the men exchanging angry words — but he seems to accuse Smith of being the aggressor before he was killed in the Lower Garden District at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

“This guy was like, ‘Get out of the f–king car, I have a gun,’ ” the witness said allegedly of Smith in footage posted Monday by the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

“And he [supposedly then referring to suspect Cardell Hayes] goes, ‘F–k y’all, I got one, too,’ and he [Hayes] grabs a gun and shoots him [smith] in the back. He’s dead.”

Witness says Will Smith was first to claim he had a gun

All the pieces coming together certainly bode well for the defense (reduced charges).  I now see why they want toxicology results....

Yea...my theories have pretty much gone out the window. 

Witness says Will Smith was first to claim he had a gun

All the pieces coming together certainly bode well for the defense (reduced charges).  I now see why they want toxicology results....

No, it doesn't. It's still murder. Blowing away a guy who claims to have a gun isn't justifiable homicide. Unless Smith brandished a gun and pointed it at the guy, this is still murder. Hayes could have backed off and let the cops handle it. Hayes was the aggressor. Even if Smith took off after a fender bender, that's not reason enough to chase him down and kill him.

I think Hayes was charged with 2nd degree murder. Seems legit.

No, it doesn't. It's still murder. Blowing away a guy who claims to have a gun isn't justifiable homicide. Unless Smith brandished a gun and pointed it at the guy, this is still murder. Hayes could have backed off and let the cops handle it. Hayes was the aggressor. Even if Smith took off after a fender bender, that's not reason enough to chase him down and kill him.

Shooting Smith in the back doesn't help Hayes' case, but with this new evidence, I could see reduced charges eventually happening. Hayes could claim he felt his life was in danger after being rear ended on the highway and threatened with a gun. I'm no legal or forensic expert though.

If the toxicology results come back and it's determined that Smith was drunk and left the scene of an accident, that only helps Hayes' argument. 

Also, if Smith did indeed threaten Hayes AND if a gun is/was recovered in the G-Wagen, then Hayes' case gets a little bit stronger. 

If the toxicology results come back and it's determined that Smith was drunk and left the scene of an accident, that only helps Hayes' argument. 

Also, if Smith did indeed threaten Hayes AND if a gun is/was recovered in the G-Wagen, then Hayes' case gets a little bit stronger. 

I haven't heard anything about another gun being recovered. At any rate, it sounds like Smith claimed to have a gun, and then Hayes was like, "yo, I got a gun too!", pulls it out, and shoots him several times in the back. It's still second degree murder, unless they can prove Smith pulled a gun on Hayes. If that didn't happen, then there's no justification for the shooting. Claiming to possess a firearm during a tense situation just isn't enough to warrant blowing a guy away.

I haven't heard anything about another gun being recovered. At any rate, it sounds like Smith claimed to have a gun, and then Hayes was like, "yo, I got a gun too!", pulls it out, and shoots him several times in the back. It's still second degree murder, unless they can prove Smith pulled a gun on Hayes. If that didn't happen, then there's no justification for the shooting. Claiming to possess a firearm during a tense situation just isn't enough to warrant blowing a guy away.

Trust me, I completely understand where you're coming from....which is why I think that if Smith did say he had a gun, the defense is hoping that there was one recovered.  Which hasn't been reported. 

Trust me, I completely understand where you're coming from....which is why I think that if Smith did say he had a gun, the defense is hoping that there was one recovered.  Which hasn't been reported. 

Police: Gun found in Will Smith's car, but no evidence it was fired

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15192518/fully-loaded-handgun-found-smith-vehicle-no-evidence-weapon-was-fired-police-say

They found a loaded 9mm in Smith's car. I'd bet Hayes is going to claim Smith pulled the gun. And Pierre Thomas and Racquel Smith are going to testify otherwise.

Well, the case for the defense just got a lot stronger.  Now, they have to wait and see what the toxicology results are.  If dude was confirmed as being drunk, well, I think it's almost a slam dunk that Hayes gets a reduced charge. 

They found a loaded 9mm in Smith's car. I'd bet Hayes is going to claim Smith pulled the gun. And Pierre Thomas and Racquel Smith are going to testify otherwise.

Can Hayes claim self-defense?  I'm just curious because if Smith never got his gun, but did threaten Hayes (and was assumed to be walking back to his SUV to get his gun), and Hayes said he was legit scared for his life, I wonder if the jury/judge will buy his reasoning? 

The passenger of Cardell Hayes' Hummer H2, Kevin Oneale, told his attorney that Cardell saved his life.

Attorney Tanzanike Ruffin issued the following statement to NBC News:

“My client believes that Cardell saved his life." Ruffin said. "Smith had a gun and was going to shoot it and Cardell may have saved both of their lives … in my mind this is justifiable homicide. Was Will Smith acting like a Saint? This was a hit-and-run that ended up in a tragedy. You’ve got the aggression of two football players, facing off with each other as if they are on the field and you are going to get your point across by any means necessary.”

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/will-smith-death-attorney-for-passenger-of-hayes-vehicle-issues-statement/38996394

Archived