Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: The Redskins’ bandwagon comes and goes, but their little welcome wagon is always there

TK

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/01/02/the-redskins-bandwagon-comes-and-goes-but-their-little-welcome-wagon-is-always-there/

By Dan Steinberg January 2 at 5:54 PM

The Redskins season, in two scenes:

In late September, the team left for its first road game, a Thursday night meeting with the Giants. Washington was still in the “please don’t be embarrassing” portion of the season. No joke was too easy, and no expectation too low.

A team staffer took a brief video clip of seven fans who had taken a mid-week lunch break to wave the team goodbye outside Redskins Park, and the Internet responded as the Internet does.

It was “just too sad” to even make a joke, according to The Big Lead. “The saddest Vine in the history of the internet,” Deadspin called it.

When I saw a thread the other day about favorite cheerleader, I thought of Huly. She and Pez do us all proud, year in and year out. Nice to see them get some positive spin after that earlier yuk it up job.

If you think she's a good cheerleader you should see Pez's pompoms. :P

Lol, they've got to deal with the bandwagoners now that the team is winning. Well, if that's the consequence of winning I'm sure they'll just have to suffer through it. :P

It's gotta be awesome the feeling Huly, Pez and company must have knowing they've been that supportive for that long through think and (mostly) thin to now get to see the team winning and all the players/staff having fun. Nothing is quite as sweet as having your faith rewarded.

I hope it continues to be that way for you all (and us lesser fans :P )!

I was there on Christmas day (my first time in a long time) and when MissHap and I arrived Huly and Pez had a shelter up to keep the rain off us.  I think we had 17 people show up for that sendoff, rain wind and all some folks had to use umbrellas since the shelter was unable to hold us all.

If you think she's a good cheerleader you should see Pez's pompoms. :P

Yeah, yeah, I shoulda known you'd make a smartass remark but seriously folks, those two and the other diehards represent so many of us farflung fans that never have the opportunity to stand out in the wind and rain to cheer the team. We rallied in support when the press took their snide shots earlier, and hear the tantalizing accounts of tailgates, but in the end all we can do is give credit where credit is due to those staunch fans that stand in our place and make us all look so good.

awesome write-up for Pez & Huly especially. really rewards them for their perseverance...directly, or indirectly. those guys do a heck of a job for the team, & for those fans lucky enough to live so close to our favorite team. i miss the experience, but i am lucky enough to have an outstanding group of fans/Redskins family at a watering-hole over here in Culver City, CA.

we're getting a group together to go to London next year, & we're starting preliminary discussions regarding the possibility of heading to Arizona, should we meet them somewhere in the paloffs.

back to you guys though.....keep up the Hail!!!

Very nice article.  Right after the Eagles win when they said the bus was returning in the early morning, I thought about that first video clip where the national press was busting on them for the send off earlier in the year.  Thought it was really poetic justice how showing up was now the cool thing to do.

after being blasted by some nobody at 106.7 the fan, it's nice to see them get a little credit.

shame it took the team being relevant for it to happen, but at least they got a little bit of what they deserve. they deserve a lot more but with this shameful media market i guess you just need to accept what you get.

anyone who's frequented redskins events knows that the core group involved in this have a commitment that extends beyond the send offs/welcome homes.

draft day party, home game tailgates, some of them have been part of away game events, and various other things on ES. i know they've also helped fellow fans when it comes to attending games. they've organized various charitable items. huly  went to new york to ask the commissioner a question re: our favorite team a few years ago.

these people seem to be involved, at some level, in damn near everything revolving around this team. they're some of the nicest people you could meet.

so, it's a nice write up and all, but it's only a fraction of what they deserve.

I've suffered being a skin fan so this is a welcome year, but the bandwagon fans can pick another team

That's just human nature. If Kirk turns out to be really elite, and we're in the thick of things for the years to come with a SB or two, you'll have tons a lifelong fans that will join in. That's just how it is.

Archived