Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 National League East Division Champion: Washington Nationals Thread

Riggo#44

I honestly think they vastly overrated both the Giants and Dodgers staffs, probably the Cardinals too.

I also believe there will be some regression for the Mets staff.

I think they lose 1, maybe 2, arms to elbow issues this year since 3 of their starters stretched their innings so drastically beyond their career high. I don't want to see it but I think they taxed those arms too much.

I think they lose 1, maybe 2, arms to elbow issues this year since 3 of their starters stretched their innings so drastically beyond their career high. I don't want to see it but I think they taxed those arms too much.

That was my thought as well. There is a price to pay for throwing that many innings that quickly.

Outside of MadBum and Kershaw, the Giants and Dodgers staff are mediocre at best.

While Shoenfield is a dingbat, I do love the pre-season slurping: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/67544/will-the-mets-have-a-historically-awesome-rotation

Will the Mets have a historically awesome rotation?

Buster Olney ranks his top 10 rotations for 2016, and I guess it's no surprise that the New York Mets would come in at No. 1. He writes,

But as the Mets' starters demonstrated on their journey to the World Series last fall, their excellence is rooted not only in how hard they throw, but in the quality of their secondary stuff and their ability to command those pitches. DeGrom, Syndergaard and Harvey ranked ninth, 10th and 12th, respectively, in the majors in strikeout-to-walk ratio.

They're all young, in the early years of their respective careers, might be together for at least three more seasons and seemingly have a chance to be remembered as one of the best rotations of this generation. The Mets have the best rotation in baseball now, and there really isn't a close second.

Historically awesome...where have I heard that before....

I posted the same thing on Twitter: It's the Annual "Best Rotation Ever!" Jinx.

Parra gone to the Rockies too but I don't think we're in the OF market anymore.

Prediction: CarGo to the Mets for Wheeler and prospects

So as it stands now I think our batting order will be:

Revere

Rendon

Harper

Zimmerman

Murphy

Werth

Ramos

Espinosa

Pitcher

It allows us to some balance with going lefty/righty at the top of our order. Bryce will get maximum number of ABs. It also allows Danny to hit 8th so the pitcher can sacrifice him over if he gets on which is a luxury we wouldnt have with the Buffalo hitting 8th. Thoughts? 

I like that batting order a lot and suspect that is how it will play out.

Only tweaks I'd consider are maybe sacrificing the L/R balance for additional OBP at the top of the order (if we're facing a lefty starter, for instance).

Revere

Werth

Rendon

Harper

Zimmerman

Murphy

Ramos

Espinosa

I wouldn't roll with that full time, but if Rendon has a good season and is hitting around .300 like he's capable of, that could greatly increase his RBI chances with Revere AND Werth hitting in front of him. Same goes for Harper behind him, of course.

So as it stands now I think our batting order will be:

Revere

Rendon

Harper

Zimmerman

Murphy

Werth

Ramos

Espinosa

Pitcher

It allows us to some balance with going lefty/righty at the top of our order. Bryce will get maximum number of ABs. It also allows Danny to hit 8th so the pitcher can sacrifice him over if he gets on which is a luxury we wouldnt have with the Buffalo hitting 8th. Thoughts?

Ramos-Espi-pitcher may be the best possible option but it is still a black hole at the end of the order. Hell, with that group I'd consider the pitcher seventh and Ramos 9th.

Ramos-Espi-pitcher may be the best possible option but it is still a black hole at the end of the order. Hell, with that group I'd consider the pitcher seventh and Ramos 9th.

If Espi can replicate his numbers from this year while playing great defense at SS, and giving you bunting/base stealing/switch hitting flexibility at the same time, he's an awesome contributor.

Been awhile since Ramos showed it due to a down year last year and injuries before, but he's actually a pretty decent hitting catcher.

I wouldn't say it's a black hole, but you're clearly not counting on that part of the lineup to produce the majority of your runs.

SD signs SS Alexei Ramirez. Desi still looking for work..

in a very weak market for middle infielders, its kinda telling what the rest of the league apparently thinks of Desmond's talents

i wonder if he will end up taking a short 2yr deal with an option and try to up his value

Ramos is apparently healthy and training big time for the first offseason since....ever.  Hopefully his bat is a pleasant surprise in 2016

Healthy Ramos don't exist

Why? We have depth, plus we lose any compensation when he signs.

We have depth but no one anywhere close to his talent level starting. You can't just turn your nose up to him if he comes back cheap. It's silly not to at least consider it if the price is right.

We have depth but no one anywhere close to his talent level starting. You can't just turn your nose up to him if he comes back cheap. It's silly not to at least consider it if the price is right.

Would rather have the draft pick. Desmond has been trending downward for years now. We will never see 2012, or even 2013 Desi again. Even though he hit better in the 2nd half last year, his K rate went up: from 28.4% to 30%. By contrast, Michael A Taylor whiffed at a 30.9% last year.

We are seeing the league accurately value Ian Desmond.

Archived