Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 National League East Division Champion: Washington Nationals Thread

Riggo#44

Maybe Riggo is referring to the Papelbon deal. In a fair world, maybe things would be different. But they needed help in the pen desperately. And it all worked out, for a game at least.

Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and recognize that its more of team issue than something tbats wrong with you, and they need your help in other areas. But I think he let that get to him, and it ruined his season

We've been saying we wanted some more contact hitters, we acquired two guys who make a lot of contact

Looking at the change in projected starters, this is nothing short of astounding:

2015:

Ian Desmond and Michael A. Taylor combined*:

Plate appearances - 1,152

Strikeouts  - 345

Daniel Murphy and Ben Revere combined^:

Plate appearances - 1,172

Strikeouts - 102

*Desmond 641 PA, 187 Ks

Taylor 511 PA, 158 Ks

^Revere 634 PA, 64 Ks

Murphy 538 PA, 38 Ks

Storen will rack up saves in April-June. Then come crunch time he'll melt down.

Imagine Storen trying to close a game in Yankee Stadium, Fenway, or Camden Yards in late August. That has meltdown written all over it.

The guy couldnt even handle the big gane pressure at his home field, let alone any of those.

I absolutely love the huge reduction in strikeouts, makes me giddy. K's on offense are free outs for your opponent. Why restrict your own team to six innings of offense instead of eight or nine? It's a self-imposed handicap.

Also FWIW, their careers at Nats Park:

Murphy: 214 AB's, .294/.330/.421

Revere: 69 AB's, .290/.310/.377

I absolutely love the huge reduction in strikeouts, makes me giddy. K's on offense are free outs for your opponent. Why restrict your own team to six innings of offense instead of eight or nine? It's a self-imposed handicap.

Also FWIW, their careers at Nats Park:

Murphy: 214 AB's, .294/.330/.421

Revere: 69 AB's, .290/.310/.377

Yep and that's how you win in the playoffs: with contact guys that don't give outs away.

The 2012 and 2014 teams had more power and "on paper" looked better/had good numbers but they were incredibly streaky and had LOTS of ABs and innings given away due to strikeouts and quick lackluster approaches. October tends to sap power.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/nats-rizzo-wont-rule-out-trade-expects-to-keep-papelbon/ar-CCk6o7?li=BBnba9I&ocid=LENDHP

Rizzo has been knocking it out of the park lately, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Still can't stand the ****er though.

that first home game he enters is going to be brutal/glorious

the fans are going to give him the treatment

Maybe Riggo is referring to the Papelbon deal.

And Soriano. I don't think he melts down like he did if we don't get Pap. It's pure hypothetical, but I liked Storen, and he was taken from the closer role twice. In my opinion, his playoff failures were more bad luck than anything else. But it's all moot now anyway, isn't it?

Wish him luck in Toronto, looking forward to watchin Ben Revere here.

Archived