Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Florida....? oh yeah, Florida.

mcsluggo

Florida's killer clown case finally ends with plea deal

A clown came to Marlene Warren's door on a May morning in 1990, handed her carnations and balloons and then shot her dead in front of her son. On Tuesday, her husband's second wife finally pleaded guilty to being the killer, closing a case that is strange even by Florida standards.

Sheila Keen-Warren, 59, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a deal that will likely see her released from prison in no more than two years. Long suspected of being the shooter, Keen-Warren has been jailed awaiting trial for first-degree murder since 2017, when Palm Beach County sheriff's investigators said improvements in DNA technology proved that a hair found in the clown's getaway car came from her. Keen-Warren has insisted, however, that she is not the killer.

"Sheila Keen Warren has finally been forced to admit that she was the one who dressed as a clown and took the life of an innocent victim. She will be a convicted murderer for the rest of her days," Aronberg said.

Click on the link for the full article

Florida Man in Excruciating Pain After Being Stung by 'Cow Killer' Ant

The internet was horrified after Floridian Eric Breuer shared his experience of being stung by the notorious "cow killer" velvet ant.

Breuer shared photos from the incident to the Facebook group Unseen Florida after another user posted photos of the insect, asking for help identifying it.

"It was mid July 2020," Breuer told Newsweek. "I rode my motorcycle to the Publix on Route 27 in Davenport, Florida. As I dismounted my bike and took one or two steps I was [stung]. It felt like someone burning me with a cigarette on my inner right thigh. I immediately slapped my leg and the insect fell out of my pant leg."

Velvet ants—also known as "cow killer" ants—are a family of insects that can be found throughout North America. Despite their name, they are actually a family of wasps, although the wingless females bare more resemblance to an ant than the winged, striped yellow jackets we know.

"I had never seen this type of insect before or one like it since. The insect itself was about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long, bright red and black," Breuer said.

There are roughly 435 species of velvet ant in North America, with roughly 50 species in Florida alone, according to the University of Florida. These insects are parasitoids, meaning they lay their eggs on the defenseless pupae of other insects, which act as food for the wasp's hatchlings when they emerge.

velvet-ant.webp?w=790&f=7dc369efe38418ba

3 hours ago, China said:

Florida Man in Excruciating Pain After Being Stung by 'Cow Killer' Ant

The internet was horrified after Floridian Eric Breuer shared his experience of being stung by the notorious "cow killer" velvet ant.

Breuer shared photos from the incident to the Facebook group Unseen Florida after another user posted photos of the insect, asking for help identifying it.

"It was mid July 2020," Breuer told Newsweek. "I rode my motorcycle to the Publix on Route 27 in Davenport, Florida. As I dismounted my bike and took one or two steps I was [stung]. It felt like someone burning me with a cigarette on my inner right thigh. I immediately slapped my leg and the insect fell out of my pant leg."

Velvet ants—also known as "cow killer" ants—are a family of insects that can be found throughout North America. Despite their name, they are actually a family of wasps, although the wingless females bare more resemblance to an ant than the winged, striped yellow jackets we know.

"I had never seen this type of insect before or one like it since. The insect itself was about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long, bright red and black," Breuer said.

There are roughly 435 species of velvet ant in North America, with roughly 50 species in Florida alone, according to the University of Florida. These insects are parasitoids, meaning they lay their eggs on the defenseless pupae of other insects, which act as food for the wasp's hatchlings when they emerge.

velvet-ant.webp?w=790&f=7dc369efe38418ba

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A Million Bees Swarm Interstate After Florida Man Crashes Big Rig

We’re used to seeing stories about trucks spilling all manner of loads across U.S. highways when they collide. We’ve had trucks full of beer roll off the highway, corn spilled across the road and even $5 million in coins spewed across the path. Now, a truck crash in Florida has spawned a swarm of a million bees after its load broke free following a collision on Interstate 10.

According to First Coast News in Florida, a semi carrying the bees was traveling westbound on I-10 in the early hours of Tuesday morning when it was hit by a big rig truck merging onto the highway. The semi was being driven by a 20-year-old Georgia man while a 26-year-old from Florida was at the wheel of the big rig.

Following the 3 am crash, the trailer of the semi broke open, releasing its cargo out onto the highway. But, rather than simply spilling across the road, the bees on board swarmed the highway.

More than a million bees were released into Duval County following the crash. Highway patrol officers responding to the collision had to call on professional beekeepers to help round up the insects. By 10:09 am, First Coast News reported that the bees had mostly been contained, but locals are still being urged to remain cautious.

Firing of librarian is yet another irrational act by New College Board of Trustees

I grew up in Sarasota, and I graduated from Pine View and then New College of Florida before moving away to pursue a career up north. Because of my deep local ties, I have feelings of both anger and sadness as I watch from afar while my alma mater continues to be transformed through a takeover led by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

During the relatively short period since DeSantis overhauled the New College Board of Trustees, we've seen:

• The firing of Patricia Okker, a president who actually espoused the same views on political diversity that the board trustees claim to possess.
  • The firing of the college's diversity officer, for no compelling reason.
  • The firing of the college's provost, also for no compelling reason.
  • The raiding of the college's foundation fund to pay the outsized salaries of the interim president and new foundation appointees.
  • The denial of tenure to several faculty members.
  • The posting of religious propaganda on New College's social media platform.
  • The commitment of huge sums of money toward creating an athletics program that no one at the college –other than the trustees board – believes is vital or necessary.
  • The distasteful mocking of New College students who have expressed concerns about the radical and rapid changes taking place at the school.

And now the trustees have taken yet another unfortunate step by firing Helene Gold, New College's information librarian and associate dean of academic engagement, as part of what they have called a restructuring plan.

• Thumb down 1

In related news...

New College scores millions in Florida’s budget amid DeSantis revamp

Florida GOP lawmakers this week supported the drastic changes Gov. Ron DeSantis is seeking to transform New College of Florida into a conservative-leaning school by agreeing to send more than $34 million to the school and backing a slate of controversial trustees who are now leading it.

The money is meant to provide scholarships for enticing potential students, help with building repairs and bolster school operations. The DeSantis-picked trustees, meanwhile, were confirmed by Republican state senators to run the school and have already made a noticeable impact on the Sarasota campus to the dismay of students, faculty and Democrats.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Florida man sets record for living underwater

A university professor broke a record for the longest time living underwater without depressurization this weekend at a Florida Keys lodge for scuba divers.

Joseph Dituri’s 74th day residing in Jules’ Undersea Lodge, situated at the bottom of a 30-foot-deep lagoon in Key Largo, wasn’t much different than his previous days there since he submerged March 1.

Dituri, who also goes by the moniker “Dr. Deep Sea,” ate a protein-heavy meal of eggs and salmon prepared using a microwave, exercised with resistance bands, did his daily pushups and took an hour-long nap. Unlike a submarine, the lodge does not use technology to adjust for the increased underwater pressure.

The previous record of 73 days, two hours and 34 minutes was set by two Tennessee professors — Bruce Cantrell and Jessica Fain — at the same location in 2014.

But Dituri isn’t just settling for the record and resurfacing: He plans to stay at the lodge until June 9, when he reaches 100 days and completes an underwater mission dubbed Project Neptune 100.

The mission combines medical and ocean research along with educational outreach and was organized by the Marine Resources Development Foundation, owner of the habitat.

“The record is a small bump and I really appreciate it,” said Dituri, a University of South Florida educator who holds a doctorate in biomedical engineering and is a retired U.S. Naval officer. “I’m honored to have it, but we still have more science to do.”

Large alligator on Florida beach was suspiciously still. It wasn’t what it seemed

A cop on foot patrol found a very large alligator sleeping on one of Florida’s Gulf Coast beaches, and things only got stranger from there.

It happened May 11 on Treasure Island, with a photo shared by police showing the officer got no response when he tapped the gator’s tail.

313f89bbeb0f974519ecf65e338946bc

That’s because it wasn’t real.

“Look at the size of that gator one of our officers tried rounding up on Treasure Island Beach last night!” the Treasure Island Police Department wrote on Facebook.

“OK, it wasn’t a real gator, it was just a crafty crafted sand sculpture.”

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Did somebody say corruption?

DeSantis Allows Anti-“Woke” Giveaway To Big Wall Street Donors

Florida governor and Republican presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis has been crusading against “woke” investments for allegedly threatening his state employees’ retirement funds. But the most imminent threat to Florida public employees’ retirement dollars appears to be the massive state pension investments that have gone to some of the Republican Party’s Wall Street donors under DeSantis’ watch.

Despite a federal anti-corruption rule designed to prevent donors from receiving pension investments, private equity executives have donated millions to political groups supporting DeSantis, all while the governor oversaw the transfer of more than $1 billion of Florida public employees’ retirement dollars into these donors’ high-fee, high-risk “alternative investments.”

A Lever review found that had the state pension fund instead been invested in a simple, low-cost index fund, compared to its present mix of holdings, teachers, police officers, and other state employees would have about $10 billion more in their retirement funds.

• Thumb down 1

Couple arrested after St. Petersburg police find stolen tortoises, rare books

Police say Joshua McCarty-Thomas also is facing charges in connection to the theft of rare books at Haslam’s Book Store and Lighthouse Books.

Two endangered Galapagos tortoises, rare books and comic books went missing from locations across Florida. On Tuesday, a couple was arrested after police determined they sold some of the items on eBay and kept other valuables — including the rare reptiles — at a St. Petersburg home.

WDSSOH3LYVEYBJ6GGMXLZ46ZKI.jpg

Tampa Pride Event Canceled Over Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Anti-LGBTQ+ Laws

An LGTBQ+ pride event usually held along the riverwalk in Tampa, Florida, has been canceled after hard-right Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bevy of anti-LGBTQ+ bills into law this week.

Tampa Pride President Carrie West confirmed to several local news outlets that the event, called Tampa Pride on the River, would not go ahead in September because it features drag performances at a public venue. One of the state’s new laws targets drag where it might be visible to minors.

“In the end, we didn’t want to take any chances,” West told the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:50 AM, China said:

Couple arrested after St. Petersburg police find stolen tortoises, rare books

Police say Joshua McCarty-Thomas also is facing charges in connection to the theft of rare books at Haslam’s Book Store and Lighthouse Books.

Two endangered Galapagos tortoises, rare books and comic books went missing from locations across Florida. On Tuesday, a couple was arrested after police determined they sold some of the items on eBay and kept other valuables — including the rare reptiles — at a St. Petersburg home.

WDSSOH3LYVEYBJ6GGMXLZ46ZKI.jpg

Good thing they didn't get a chance to steal the mutagen. Also, why are rare books anywhere near the state of Florida?

10 hours ago, Larry said:

I think that's a mistake. 

Yeah, I would made them arrest me and all 10,000 of my drag queen friends. You expect others to fight for you, but you won't even fight for yourselves?