Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Florida....? oh yeah, Florida.

mcsluggo

On 5/11/2024 at 1:01 AM, Ball Security said:

https://www.wral.com/video/man-who-pulled-gun-on-uber-driver-said-he-was-protecting-daughter/21422201/

This ****head pulled a gun on an Uber driver who dropped his 13 year old daughter who had snuck out. Made him lay face down in n his driveway. Now, he’s playing the sympathy card because evidently you can’t do that even if you are in Florida and have previously served.

This link doesn’t work but I’m not necessarily upset about that 

14 hours ago, tshile said:

This link doesn’t work but I’m not necessarily upset about that 

**** that guy. As a black man, if I did that, I would be in jail...probably dead. You don't get to put a gun in someone's face, force them out of their car, put them on the ground, take their wallet and then be "Well, I was upset". **** you, go to jail.

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

**** that guy. As a black man, if I did that, I would be in jail...probably dead. You don't get to put a gun in someone's face, force them out of their car, put them on the ground, take their wallet and then be "Well, I was upset". **** you, go to jail.

Well, he is in jail. 

When I read the original post, I assumed a 3 am issue and yeah if I found a grown man dropping my 13 year old off at 1, 2, or 3 am I’d have a ****ing problem with that. 

now that we have a working link to the story it’s all sorts of weird. It was 11pm. The girl had friends at the house (but snuck out and came back on her own?) idk too much crazy going on there to care anymore. I’m sure the police are handling it correctly.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jumbo said:

"Becoming a template for other red states"

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/26/desantis-florida-school-closures-00159926

Perhaps the new face for a return to segregation in schools?  

Surprised we’ve yet to see a court challenge to this, under the grounds of depriving a child of a solid education through the public school system. Although we know that race is the foremost factor in this legislation.

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

I used to be against the school voucher and charter school programs. 
but given what I see now that my children are in public school, I’d welcome it if it allowed us to send them to a private school for much cheaper than the regular costs. 

from what I’ve seen (which is all that really matters for me as it doesn’t matter what other private/public schools are doing elsewhere - should we move I’d reevaluate) the private schools have much better teachers and coaches, better facilities (for both academics and sports), they have better supplies in the classrooms and aren’t always begging parents for everything, significantly smaller studen-to-teacher ratios, are way stricter on behavior, have way more support services, and have much higher academic standards. 

putting both my kids in the local private school would run ~58-75k a year (it goes up as the grades get higher) which is not an option for us. But if it were I’d enroll them in a heartbeat. The difference is staggering. 

the public school can’t even fix their buses or keep their facilities well maintained. They can’t pay their teachers enough to attract quality ones or keep the ones they have. They beg for supplies from parents constantly. It’s embarrassing they operate this way, and that the people here choose to elect people that run the county budgets this way. 

Edited by tshile

Hubby had his daughter in the private boarding school he graduated from (like 7 kids in his class).  He got a discount for being an alum. 

9th grade, she wanted to go to public school, and that's when the trouble started.  She picked a different boarding school, trouble continued.  Went back to public, and y'all know the results. 

My public school was truly awesome in VA. 

Man arrested after allegedly abandoning kids on an island in Satellite Beach

A man was arrested after police in Satellite Beach say three children were abandoned for hours on an island in Brevard County.

One of the children’s fathers, Leonard Nile, was supposed to be watching the kids on the Memorial Day camping trip, but the father was arrested and charged with three counts of child neglect. 

According to a police report, three children who were left without care were 9, 10, and 11 years old. Not only were they left, but they were stranded on an island surrounded by water before a Good Samaritan heard them screaming for help from the dock late Saturday night. 

"I cried so much Sunday that I can’t cry anymore. Now, I just want answers," said Robin, who’s one of the children’s mothers. 

Robin wants justice after her 9-year-old daughter and two other kids were allegedly left alone for four hours on Samson Island in Satellite Beach.

"They got scared, so they made their way to the dock and was yelling for help," said the mother. 

Click on the link for the full article

Florida woman, 20, who was caught having sex on public pier jumps into water to escape cops

Talk about going off the deep end.

A Florida woman who was caught in flagrante on a public pier in Naples dived into the water in an attempt to get away from cops on Monday afternoon, authorities said.

The escape didn’t do 20-year-old Allyssia Razo much good, though — she was picked up by the beach patrol as soon as she made it to shore, according to a police report.

alyssia-razo-florida-couple-busted-82833

Bradenton man lands helicopter on birds nesting site in Egmont Key

A shocking video caught a Bradenton man landing a helicopter in the middle of a closed shorebird nesting site at Egmont Key State Park.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was alerted of the incident, which happened on May 12, when a helicopter landed on the south tip of Egmont Key.

A witness told officials they saw a female passenger get out of the chopper and take a few photos, before hopping back on the helicopter and taking off.

The pilot of the chopper, identified by the FWC as 53-year-old Ernesto Cordero, took off from Albert Whitted Airport in Pinellas County, flying along Fort Desoto and Egmont Key, before landing in Punta Gorda, according to a flight log on FlightAware.

The video shows Cordero landing the small helicopter on the beach, causing several protected shorebird species, including black skimmers and sandwich terns, to flee their nests.

Click on the link for the full article and video

A Homeowner Mutiny in Florida Is Leaving the State More Vulnerable to Hurricanes

Lisa Hendrickson is almost out of sand.

Hendrickson is the mayor of Redington Shores, Florida, a well-heeled beach town in Pinellas County. Her town occupies a small section of a razor-thin barrier island that stretches down the western side of the sprawling Tampa Bay metro area, dividing cities like Tampa and St. Petersburg from the Gulf of Mexico. Many of her constituents have an uninterrupted view of the ocean.

The town’s only protection from the Gulf of Mexico’s increasingly erratic storms is a pristine beach that draws millions of tourists every year — but that beach is disappearing fast. A series of storms, culminating in last fall’s Hurricane Idalia, have eroded most of the sand that protects Redington Shores and the towns around it, leaving residents just one big wave away from water overtaking their homes.

This perilous situation is the result of a standoff between local residents and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the federal agency that handles flood prevention and protects many of the nation’s beaches. The Corps often rebuilds eroded beaches by hauling in thousands of tons of sand, but the agency is refusing to deliver $42 million of new sand to Pinellas County unless the area’s coastal property owners grant public access to the slivers of beach behind their homes. Hundreds of these property owners, however, are in turn refusing to sign documents that grant these points of access, which are known as easements. The faceoff has brought the area’s storm recovery to a near standstill.

This standoff highlights growing tensions between the federal government and homeowners in coastal areas that are threatened by climate change. As sea levels have risen and strong storms have caused greater damage than ever before, the costs of protecting and insuring beach fronts in Florida and other states have increased rapidly. Agencies like the Corps have had to weigh these costs against the interests of property owners in places like the Tampa Bay region. When those interests come into conflict, populated coastal areas can be left exposed or uninsured, making them sitting ducks for the next climate-fueled storm.

“Our coastlines are the first line of defense against storms, and our Gulf beaches are just eroding away,” Hendrickson told Grist. “I don’t know where we go with it now, or how we come together to work through it.”

The Corps put the easement policy in place decades ago to ensure that it didn’t spend public money to restore private beaches, but the agency didn’t begin enforcing the rule in earnest until after Superstorm Sandy in 2012. 

Let them get washed away.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Florida woman called 911 on herself during attempted carjacking so she ‘could do it legally’: deputies

A Florida woman was arrested after calling 911 on herself while trying to steal a car from a dealership so she “could do it legally.”

Christy Turman, 37, called the Lee County Sheriff’s Office because she wanted authorities to know, deputies said.

“Because I’m trying to steal a car that’s not legally mine,” Turman said during the 911 call. “So, y’all better come make a report. I’m reporting this.”

Deputies arrived at the dealership a short time later, where they found Turman exiting the driver’s side of the stolen Toyota Corolla.

The 37-year-old told deputies she was being trained in a game of Black Ops to steal a car, but called authorities to make her carjacking legal.

Rich kid gets in standoff with cops aboard his yacht after 'terrorizing restaurants and neighbors' in Florida

A rich teenage influencer who menaced his neighbors in the Florida Keys had the tables turned on him when police filmed a damning video of his anti-social behavior.

Luis Barrios, 18, boasts 43,000 followers on Instagram where he documents his glamorous lifestyle of fast cars, fast boats, and international travel.

But he was brought down to earth by Florida cops who seized him on his father's yacht after he terrorized restaurant staff, boasted about his family's wealth and threatened to feed police officers to alligators.

'Nobody cares about your TikTok nobody cares,' one told him. 'You're a child, get off the boat.'

Police were called by staff at Sunset Grille in Marathon when a drunken Barrios and his young pals began swearing loudly and causing a disturbance.

Cops arrived to find the culprits had fled on Barrios's yacht but a manager scratching his head after allegedly being left a threatening message on his phone.

'It's so stupid,' he told officers. 'Why would you call with your actual number?'

Police headed to one of the family homes nearby on the archipelago to find no-one home but the teenager's neighbors unsurprised at his latest antics.

'Daddy took the car away so he stole the boat,' one told police. 'Something's got to be done about that kid.

'The dad's a decent hard-working guy who built what he built through hard work but the kid's a spoiled brat.'

'It sounds like he's doing it for attention,' another neighbor adds. 'Because he's not a very likable guy and it sounds like he's trying to buy their friendship.'

Officers tell them that Barrios has had a series of previous arrests, and that around 20 other neighbors have lodged complaints.

'He's been a thorn in our side over the last two months,' one says.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:09 PM, China said:

A Homeowner Mutiny in Florida Is Leaving the State More Vulnerable to Hurricanes

Lisa Hendrickson is almost out of sand.

Hendrickson is the mayor of Redington Shores, Florida, a well-heeled beach town in Pinellas County. Her town occupies a small section of a razor-thin barrier island that stretches down the western side of the sprawling Tampa Bay metro area, dividing cities like Tampa and St. Petersburg from the Gulf of Mexico. Many of her constituents have an uninterrupted view of the ocean.

The town’s only protection from the Gulf of Mexico’s increasingly erratic storms is a pristine beach that draws millions of tourists every year — but that beach is disappearing fast. A series of storms, culminating in last fall’s Hurricane Idalia, have eroded most of the sand that protects Redington Shores and the towns around it, leaving residents just one big wave away from water overtaking their homes.

This perilous situation is the result of a standoff between local residents and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the federal agency that handles flood prevention and protects many of the nation’s beaches. The Corps often rebuilds eroded beaches by hauling in thousands of tons of sand, but the agency is refusing to deliver $42 million of new sand to Pinellas County unless the area’s coastal property owners grant public access to the slivers of beach behind their homes. Hundreds of these property owners, however, are in turn refusing to sign documents that grant these points of access, which are known as easements. The faceoff has brought the area’s storm recovery to a near standstill.

This standoff highlights growing tensions between the federal government and homeowners in coastal areas that are threatened by climate change. As sea levels have risen and strong storms have caused greater damage than ever before, the costs of protecting and insuring beach fronts in Florida and other states have increased rapidly. Agencies like the Corps have had to weigh these costs against the interests of property owners in places like the Tampa Bay region. When those interests come into conflict, populated coastal areas can be left exposed or uninsured, making them sitting ducks for the next climate-fueled storm.

“Our coastlines are the first line of defense against storms, and our Gulf beaches are just eroding away,” Hendrickson told Grist. “I don’t know where we go with it now, or how we come together to work through it.”

The Corps put the easement policy in place decades ago to ensure that it didn’t spend public money to restore private beaches, but the agency didn’t begin enforcing the rule in earnest until after Superstorm Sandy in 2012. 

Let them get washed away.  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

So, I had to read this whole thing, it confused me at first, but I've come to the conclusion of...**** these people.

Long story short, army needs easement permissions from all residents so the government can spend $42 million on sand for their private beach. However, these easements are permanent so the govt doesn't have to collect over 400 signatures everytime this happens. Residents say no, government won't give them sand.

Best part is, the beach isn't private and the govt has tried every other way, even offered to place a dime of sand elseehere. The residents said no, it would ruin their beach view. No what else ruins a view of the beach? No beach.

**** these people, I hope the go down with the ship.

Woman accused of leaving boyfriend to die in suitcase to go on trial in October

A Central Florida woman accused of leaving her boyfriend to die while trapped in a suitcase is now set to go on trial in October.

A judge set Oct. 7 for the start of Sarah Boone’s trial for second-degree murder. Boone, 46, came to the hearing with a 58-page letter for the judge laying out a series of complaints against her lawyer.

“I don’t understand what it is that she has against me,” Boone told the judge. “I have told her from day one that her snotty attitude was inappropriate.”

Boone has gone through seven other attorneys since her arrest in 2020, often complaining about how they handle her case.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office says Boone left her boyfriend, Jorge Torres, Jr., zipped up inside a suitcase. Investigators say Torres got into the luggage voluntarily after a game of hide-and-seek, but Boone did not let him out even after he begged for help. They allegedly found video on her phone showing Boone mocking Torres while he asked her to let him out. Instead, she’s accused of going to bed, and then finding Torres dead inside the suitcase in the morning.

Her trial has been pushed back repeatedly, in part because Boone has cycled through so many attorneys. Her current lawyer, Patricia Cashman, told the judge on Friday that Boone wants her to focus on elements of the case that she doesn’t believe are important.

Horrifying bodycam footage shows bloated 14ft alligator with 41-year-old mother in its body after she was dragged into murky canal and killed

Horrifying bodycam footage shows a bloated 14ft alligator with the body of a 41-year-old mom in its stomach.

Sabrina Peckham was eaten by the alligator after being dragged by the beast into a canal in Clearwater.

Peckham was unhoused at the time and had been staying at an encampment close to where the alligator was located and killed.

New footage from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shows the aftermath of the deadly attack. 

Video shows the huge gator surrounded by police moments after it was shot to death. Its stomach is visibly swollen with Peckham inside.

86086941-13527455-image-a-62_17183014749

• Haha 1