Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins vs Eagles (Final)

JimmiJo

On pace for 4000 yards, 20 TDs and 16 INTs, 69% completion percentage.And 20 sacks.    

I'd say that I'd take that for essentially a first year starter. 

With an 8-8 record. That's not too bad at all. Things can and will change but it's nice for now. 

I'd say that I'd take that for essentially a first year starter. 

Here is the garbage I had to read in my morning newspaper (Richmond Times-Dispatch) Sunday mroning.

The bottom line

Michael Phillips: The Redskins need a big-time showing from either Chris Culliver or Joaquin. It appears they’ll get neither. This one has the potential to turn ugly. Philadelphia 35, Washington 10

mphillips@timesdispatch.com

(804) 649-6546

Twitter: @michaelpRTD

Here is the garbage I had to read in my morning newspaper (Richmond Times-Dispatch) Sunday mroning.

The bottom line

Michael Phillips: The Redskins need a big-time showing from either Chris Culliver or Joaquin. It appears they’ll get neither. This one has the potential to turn ugly. Philadelphia 35, Washington 10

mphillips@timesdispatch.com

(804) 649-6546

Twitter: @michaelpRTD

Well with Culliver gutting it out through an injury he didn't look good out there.  Not sure if that's a big-time showing though.

Jaoquin must have showed up, whoever he is.

Thanks Jaoquin.

Edit: NVM Just realized he was talking about the Hurricane.  I spent a bit of time wondering, when did we sign a Jaoquin and why was he that important to the Eagles game? lol

I will say this, I didn't like the decision to cut Amerson when it happened, and now I really don't. It's come back to bite our asses with our current CB situation. Rogers on IR, Hall hurt and out, and Culliver playing on some sort of serious knee injury.

We've been lucky that three of the four QBs and passing offenses we've played really struggled. And we're lucky that Kyshoen Jarrett is so versatile and played corner at such a high level yesterday. Saved by a rookie sixth round draft pick.

What Culliver did was admirable. A healthy Culliver is a terrific player too. But he did cost us with his inability to run, and if that persists, we need to find some options currently outside the organization. The specter of having to start Quinton Dunbar or Deshazor Everett is scary.

I will say this, I didn't like the decision to cut Amerson when it happened, and now I really don't. It's come back to bite our asses with our current CB situation. Rogers on IR, Hall hurt and out, and Culliver playing on some sort of serious knee injury.

We've been lucky that three of the four QBs and passing offenses we've played really struggled. And we're lucky that Kyshoen Jarrett is so versatile and played corner at such a high level yesterday. Saved by a rookie sixth round draft pick.

What Culliver did was admirable. A healthy Culliver is a terrific player too. But he did cost us with his inability to run, and if that persists, we need to find some options currently outside the organization. The specter of having to start Quinton Dunbar or Deshazor Everett is scary.

I'm not joking when I say this but, getting a guy off the practice squad or some other teams practice squad would be better than playing Amerson. I'd rather have a hurt Culliver than Amerson. That guy was just bad this year. Like really really bad.

You say we've been lucky with who we faced and yet that same luck has seen our two best CBs both miss a game each for suspensions.  Our starting SS go down game one.  Hall injured.  Rogers injured.  Amerson was our 4th string CB and he wasn't getting better.  A young growing team gets more out of seeing a hobbled Culliver gut through an injury to play for his team then a guy with Amerson's talent piss it all away.

You say we're lucky Kyshoen Jarrett played well.  That's not luck, that's finding talent and the player using that talent to do well.

You don't hold on to garbage because you're afraid that you may need it down the line.  It would just mean that you are now playing garbage.  No one needs garbage.

Well with Culliver gutting it out through an injury he didn't look good out there.  Not sure if that's a big-time showing though.

Jaoquin must have showed up, whoever he is.

Thanks Jaoquin.

Edit: NVM Just realized he was talking about the Hurricane.  I spent a bit of time wondering, when did we sign a Jaoquin and why was he that important to the Eagles game? lol

I thought you were joking about Jaoquin. Props to you for owning up.

Michael Phillips with the Richmond Times Dispatch did a really nice job with his prediction. He missed the winning team and the margin of victory was only 28 points off from his prediction. The guy obviously has found the correct profession for himself.

I'm scracthing my head a bit at some of the comments about 'poor play calling' which seem to be mainly because we stayed committed to running the ball. I loved we stayed with the run even down to that final drive - staying with the run and making the Eagles continue to defend the run limits what the Eagles could do with coverage, helps to control the pass rush and sets up opportunities for throws downfield off play action. Its sort of football 101!

Kirk threw it 40+ times anyway which is more than we would like but also a function of the time of posession we had. 

A bit? Not bad for a new mod.

Some volunteers might have gone right from scratching to pulling their hair out already.  :lol:

Surviving your first few gameday threads as a mod is always a good test.

I had written a few more paragraphs about posters and play calling cirtiques last night, but it's stuff I've said before over the years and am gonna sit on 'em for now and just read. I have today off and it's sunny again and it's a Monday after a win! Spent the morning watching a raft of sea lions cavorting, about a 10 minute walk from my pad. 

One major factor given our board context re: such posting--in many instances here the water comes from poisoned wells.

Statements are often posted that are not born of critical thinking skills and objectve analysis, but more of emotional and ego investment and a desire to grind any related ax. This often leads to head-scratching (among other things) for those not so encumbered.  :ph34r:

You say we've been lucky with who we faced and yet that same luck has seen our two best CBs both miss a game each for suspensions.  Our starting SS go down game one.  Hall injured.  Rogers injured.  Amerson was our 4th string CB and he wasn't getting better.  A young growing team gets more out of seeing a hobbled Culliver gut through an injury to play for his team then a guy with Amerson's talent piss it all away.

You say we're lucky Kyshoen Jarrett played well.  That's not luck, that's finding talent and the player using that talent to do well.

You don't hold on to garbage because you're afraid that you may need it down the line.  It would just mean that you are now playing garbage.  No one needs garbage.

Amerson was a scapegoat. Breeland's game against the Giants was worse than any game Amerson ever had, but he's a darling of the fanbase and you didn't see any outcry against him. Amerson was the victim of an easy negative narrative.

Suspensions aren't really a matter of bad luck either.

And the point about Jarrett was that putting yourself in a situation where you have to rely on a rookie sixth round pick in his first real action to come in and save your secondary is borderline roster mismanagement. He played much better than could be reasonably expected, and yet we're still playing with fire if we rely on him moving forward.

And no, it is not better for us for an injured Culliver to hobble around out there injured, getting beat for two long touchdowns against a struggling offense, and almost losing us the game. He's the goat if we lose that game, we only get to appreciate his moral contribution to the victory because we won.

This secondary was on shaky ground going into the year with Hall coming off a second Achilles rupture. And it became much more so after Nacho got hurt in week one. Rogers's plantar fasciitis didn't suddenly spring on us either, we knew he was hobbled. We shouldn't have been cutting any of our opening day DBs, doing so after week two meant we decided to roll with three healthy corners? If anything, we should have been extra cautious because of the suspensions and Hall's age/recent history of devastating injury. We manufactured extra depth problems at corner by cutting him.

Amerson was a scapegoat. Breeland's game against the Giants was worse than any game Amerson ever had, but he's a darling of the fanbase and you didn't see any outcry against him. Amerson was the victim of an easy negative narrative.

And the point about Jarrett was that putting yourself in a situation where you have to rely on a rookie sixth round pick in his first real action to come in and save your secondary is borderline roster mismanagement. He played much better than could be reasonably expected, and yet we're still playing with fire if we rely on him moving forward.

And no, it is not better for us for an injured Culliver to hobble around out there injured, getting beat for two long touchdowns against a struggling offense, and almost losing us the game. He's the goat if we lose that game, we only get to appreciate his moral contribution to the victory because we won.

This secondary was on shaky ground going into the year with Hall coming off a second Achilles rupture. And it became much more so after Nacho got hurt in week one. Rogers's plantar fasciitis didn't suddenly spring on us either, we knew he was hobbled. We shouldn't have been cutting any of our opening day DBs, doing so after week two meant we decided to roll with three healthy corners? If anything, we should have been extra cautious because of the suspensions and Hall's age/recent history of devastating injury. We manufactured extra depth problems at corner by cutting him.

Amerson and Breeland aren't even remotely similar.

Amerson was a 2013 second round pick that didn't work hard to put his talent to use. 

Breeland was 2014 4th round pick that by all accounts works his butt off.  His poor game against the Giants was more likely due to having an injury shortened preseason and the suspension putting him a bit behind.

Amerson was given many chances to develop and failed to do so.

"Because potential!" only goes so far these days.  It gets you an opportunity.  It doesn't guarantee you a free ride for life.  And that's how it's supposed to work.

Statements are often posted that are not born of critical thinking skills and objectve analysis, but more of emotional and ego investment and a desire to grind any related ax. This often leads to head-scratching (among other things) for those not so encumbered.  :ph34r:

So, out of curiosity, when I say that I take umbrage with calling "Morris Left" on the first 6 of 7 1st downs for 12 yards, and continuing to run into a brick wall on 1st down for much of the game, what category do I fall into?  

Because I said it then, and believe it now:  The play calling on first down, specifically, was bad. And just because we won (which I'm thrilled about) doesn't make the previous sentence any less true.  Both can be true.  

Running on first down didn't become productive until the Eagles went to nickle in the final drive when they thought we would be passing.  Which essentially proves my point: When they KNOW you're going to run, and you run, bad things happen.  When they THINK you're going to pass, and you run, good things happen.  So mix it up, keep them off-balance, be creative, and you'll have more success.  

I hope that isn't taken as an emotional response, but it's definitely what I feel.  And I'd like to think it's a fairly valid criticism of the play calling.

Amerson was a scapegoat?  Did you watch any of the games he ever played in?  Against the Ravens in preseason?  The only series he played against the Dolphins?  All of the game last year?  If you think Breeland and Amerson play similarly, then I really dont think you understand much about coverage in football.  Giving up two TDs because you are 2 inches behind the play is hardly the same as giving up 5 TDs because you are 10 yards behind the play. 

So, out of curiosity, when I say that I take umbrage with calling "Morris Left" on the first 6 of 7 1st downs for 12 yards, and continuing to run into a brick wall on 1st down for much of the game, what category do I fall into?  

Because I said it then, and believe it now:  The play calling on first down, specifically, was bad. And just because we won (which I'm thrilled about) doesn't make the previous sentence any less true.  Both can be true.  

Running on first down didn't become productive until the Eagles went to nickle in the final drive when they thought we would be passing.  Which essentially proves my point: When they KNOW you're going to run, and you run, bad things happen.  When they THINK you're going to pass, and you run, good things happen.  So mix it up, keep them off-balance, be creative, and you'll have more success.  

I hope that isn't taken as an emotional response, but it's definitely what I feel.  And I'd like to think it's a fairly valid criticism of the play calling.

Well, no statement of yours was on my mind, and while my post doesn't present "categories" so much as where one is (points) on a continuum (line). I'll add that I don't see this post of yours I'm quoting as you grinding any ax or ego/emo investment etc. but more as an objective specific critical analysis (accurate or not), even if you felt emotion over what was happening (which would not the "emo" part of the issue in what I was referring to, originally).

IOW, I think you're swell, though that won't buy you anything in this place. :lol:

Finding accord with me will only damage your rep with the really smart people.  ;)

I wonder what it is they do at halftime because they're making a habit of sleep-walking through the 3rd quarter. A little better pep in their step to start the second half and this game wouldn't have been close. 

Falcons are due for a loss, let's let them know they played us.

Atlanta is 12th in avg. 3rd Qtr points (5.5) ... but 4th in 2nd half points (15.5)

We better fix our D in the 3rd, and more importanlty fix our Offense in 3rd Qtr, Skins are DEAD LAST at .80 points in 3rd, yes, less than 1 point per third quarter. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

Archived