Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Use the same definition they used for a decade. Or adjust it if needed. For purposes of this discussion, let's concentrate on the intent rather than getting bogged down in semantics.

Then again, like I said I'm my first response.

1). We don't completely ban M-60s.

2). And I'm not really sure that we need to even treat AR-15s the way we treat M-60s.

3). (Although, I'll also say that, if we were to treat AR-15s the same way we treat full-auto weapons? I'd say that's going too far. But I wouldn't think it's the worst overreach our government has done, in the name of safety).

• Like 1

A well-regulated militia was there to replace the actual military to defend from invasion, not just run of the mill citizens warding off invaders with their hand guns.

No, no, no. It was for citizens to arm themselves against the ever present possibility that the government forms a police state and takes everyone's guns and forces them in to labor camps to build the 3rd and most powerful (and least vulnerable) Death Star.

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 1

Looks like Germany can't be used as a counter argument to gun control effectiveness again. Apparently, the weapon of choice over there was an air rifle.

http://m.dw.com/en/officials-german-hostage-taker-had-no-real-firearms/a-19352557

Seems like a pretty good argument for gun control.

No, no, no. It was for citizens to arm themselves against the ever present possibility that the government forms a police state and takes everyone's guns and forces them in to labor camps to build the 3rd and most powerful (and least vulnerable) Death Star.

Pretty much. historically, that's where the idea comes from.

Hawaii’s governor signed a bill making it the first U.S. state to place its residents who own firearms in a federal criminal record database and monitor them for possible wrongdoing anywhere in the country, his office said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation database called “Rap Back” will allow Hawaii police to be notified when a firearm owner from the state is arrested anywhere in the United States.

Hawaii has become the first U.S. state to place firearm owners on the FBI’s Rap Back, which until now was used to monitor criminal activities by individuals under investigation or people in positions of trust such as school teachers and daycare workers

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/hawaii-just-put-gun-owners-on-an-fbi-database-and-the-nra-is-freaking-out/

That's interesting.

My first thought was to assume that they meant "CCW permit holders", not every gun owner. And to think that well, yes, I do want the state to be notified if a person who cleared a criminal background check, doesn;t qualify for one, any more.

But reading the article, I note that no, it's apparently all gun owners.

They're apparently required to register every one of them. (Which was my second surprise. I did not think there were any states that actually required that.)

Lots of things learned, there.

Also any gun owner from out of state, that brings their gun with them, because they require you to register once you arrive.

Yeah, I noticed that.  Had some reactions to that, as well. 

One was "Don't like it, then don't pack your guns when you go on vacation". 

The other was "So, the worst that can happen is,

1)  Joe goes to Hawaii, on vacation, with his gun

2)  Registers it, when he gets there.  Gets added to database.

3)  Goes back home, two weeks later.

4)  Years later, he has a problem of some kind, with the law. 

5)  Hawaii gets notified about some dude who left the state, years ago. 

• Like 1

The governor showed blatant disregard for the constitution and such a smug cavalier attitude about the whole thing? Did you see what he was wearing when he signed the bill. A FRIGGIN HAWAIIAN SHIRT OF ALL THINGS!!! If you're going to trample on my rights, at least pretend to be a professional. Also, it is my experience that the only people who wear Hawaiian shirts are the gays and big, fat party animals. This guy didn't look too fat to me if you get what I'm saying. I don't know why we should expect any less from the state that pretended to be the birthplace of Obama.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/905f0340ce534e36a1d4027468023dcc/official-boy-6-playing-gun-shoots-younger-brother-4

Official: Boy playing with gun fatally shoots brother, 4

Authorities say a 6-year-old New Jersey boy playing with a gun fatally shot his 4-year-old brother in the head.

The Essex County Prosecutor's Office says the children were at their home in East Orange when the shooting occurred about 11 a.m. Saturday. Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas S.

Fennelly says the child was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 4:26 p.m. He says the shooting apparently was an accident.

He says the boy's mother, 22-year-old Itiyanah Spruill, has been arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child and a weapons violation. Bail was set at $310,000. He says she was jailed, pending arraignment.

A city spokeswoman says the gun belonged to the boy's mother. It wasn't immediately known how the 6-year-old got the gun.

Edited by visionary

Glad the mother is being charged. People need to be more responsible securing their weapons when kids are around. I keep a loaded weapon accessible in my house but I don't have children. When my sister comes down with her kids, ALL weapons go unloaded in one safe. All ammo goes in a different safe.

• Like 2

Glad the mother is being charged. People need to be more responsible securing their weapons when kids are around. I keep a loaded weapon accessible in my house but I don't have children. When my sister comes down with her kids, ALL weapons go unloaded in one safe. All ammo goes in a different safe.

Not that you can be too careful, but do you come from a family of safecrackers or what? 

• Like 1

Here's a heartwarming story about guns and the American family.

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2016/06/christy-byrd-sheats-texas-mom-shoot-daughters/

From the comments section of that article.

The mother, Christy Byrd Sheats, had recently posted the following on her Facebook page: "It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that's exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns."

---------------------------------------------------

Just imagine if Christy Byrd Sheats had not had the ability to "protect" her family her family would be alive today and so would she. Very sad situation.