Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Shawn Lauvao played his last snap as a Redskin?

jwickersfo

When I first saw the roster move my initial reaction was disappointment that we would not see the Williams/Lauvao left side knocking back opponents in 2015.  It's a 6-week injury, rigtht?

After more thought, I think the move is more strategic, Scot led, and has longer term benefits.

Lauvao's salary increases to $4M next year, while his dead cap number will drop to $2M.  Lauvao is a Bruce Allen signing.

Long or Kouandjio will get an opportunity to establish as a starter over the remaining 13 games, plus the playoffs (we're not mathematically eliminated yet).  If either emerges do the Redskins pay $4M cash and take a $5M cap hit for a backup guard?  I bet they take the $2M hit, find a serviceable backup for less than $3M and become better and more cap efficient in 2016 and beyond.

HTTR

You could approach him with a restructure, also.  I think it depends on how well he performs in camp next year, certainly he will be invited to camp as he is under contract.  I don't think he has played his last snap, though. 

I'd think the team will bring in competition if need be.  If he is the best guy for the job, he will stick around. 

The speed with which Scot puts players that could help on IR really is interesting.  He said at the beginning of the season that the team probably wouldn't win many games but they would hit you.  By having so many players on IR they can point to that as a reason for not winning more games and increasing the chance for a very high draft pick this year.  A very high pick could really be beneficial.  I have my eye on Robert Nkemdiche from Ole Miss.  He's a bad man!

There is some kind of strategy going on here but not sure what it is.  So we now have a guy with a sprained ankle and one with a concussion who go on IR by week three.  That just seems a little odd on a team that is thin on talent and I would bet for sure now must have more starters on season ending IR than any team in the NFL.  

There is some kind of strategy going on here but not sure what it is.  So we now have a guy with a sprained ankle and one with a concussion who go on IR by week three.  That just seems a little odd on a team that is thin on talent and I would bet for sure now must have more starters on season ending IR than any team in the NFL.

Well, a team that is struggling to field a competent ST's unit can't really afford to keep multiple guys on the roster that are out for 4-6 weeks or more, even if they could help later. We need those roster spots for guys that can contribute, I don't think we're trying any funny business or attempting any kind of clever tanking.

The speed with which Scot puts players that could help on IR really is interesting.  He said at the beginning of the season that the team probably wouldn't win many games but they would hit you.  By having so many players on IR they can point to that as a reason for not winning more games and increasing the chance for a very high draft pick this year.  A very high pick could really be beneficial.  I have my eye on Robert Nkemdiche from Ole Miss.  He's a bad man!

A high pick would be great but SM doesn't strike me as the type of guy that wants to play a bunch of excuses and mind games as far as assigning blame for a losing season to injuries......and I'm glad he doesn't.  Between Shanny and Gruden I've had enough of double talk and excuses and just want someone at that position and level to tell it to me straight.  Also, look at the Cowboys and the Giants........Injuries happen, its part of game and with as many injuries as we've had over the past few years we're still only about mid pack in losing players. They just hurt more because of the depth issues.

Additionally With a large portion of our injuries hitting especially the secondary and ILB you start getting into issues about being overloaded with injuries at certain positions and having a very imbalanced team over time which almost forces your hand in these situations. By moving Lauvao to IR it allows SM to ability to groom a rookie and/or a 2nd year player for that spot and it they play well keeping Lauvao is answered without a discussion. SM also needs to put LeRibeus as the last possible option especially after the injury. 

I hope he's back. Looked like he was really picking his play up. As for Long, I thought he was going to get cut. Just hasn't shown much of anything. AK has been inactive but I'd rather see him over Long. Lerib should be cut.

Ideally, I want Arie K. to win that spot. It would be awesome to have 2 rookies and a 2nd year player to have on our offensive line moving forward. Those are called building blocks.

Minus Center, it would give us a 2-3 year window without worrying about contracts and cap, and fit with Trent Williams prime. I doubt we could afford to re-sign all of them afterwards, but that's a situation every team would be ecstatic for.

Archived