Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins at Giants (write-up) is

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins at Giants

9/24/15

Hello my friends from the Big Apple. JimmiJo here, getting set to witness a very important NFC East matchup at Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford New Jersey. I am joined by the inimitable TK, but apparently they don't like him because as a photog dude he has to hang up in the bowels of the stadium while I enjoy the largess reserved for the important people.

Where the hell was my sendoff?

Here's the thing; I get the 106.7 has to be the un-cola to ESPN980's official broadcast. But if I understand the premise of the article - the writer is kicking self-described fans for behaving in a manner like unto loyal fans? More, it's something those folks have been doing for years so what's the point? Why now?

I think the ultimate point was how fan support has eroded given recent seasons and current ownership. While that case can be made, via removal of thousands of seats from FedEx Field, the writer should not conflate the number of people at the sendoff with overall fan dissatisfaction.

I know of no other 1-1 team getting a sendoff and/or welcome home. This group of fans will do this whether the Redskins win or lose. This particular sub-group of Redskins fans have braved the weather and odd-hours for years to do this. I've known of them since Gibbs 2, and remember him inviting them into Redskins Park once.

My point is they can remove another 20,000 seats and these folks will still do it - it is in their DNA. And again, the Redskins are 1-1. Let the team record go well above .500 and playoff talk get serious and there will hundreds out there.

So writer dude at 106.7, when they pat you on the back for making deadspin and getting all the hits, know you got this one wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent about 10-minutes talking about tonight's game one of the national writers who covers this team. He pointed out that history says when the New York Giants need a win and the Washington Redskins come to town, the Giants get well.

My point was this team has to win a game like tonight's before any serious talk about the division, or a post-season can be entertained.

In other words: prove it Redskins.

Prove you are the league's best defense. Let your defense earn their nick-name. Prove your run-game is second-to-none. Push New York around. Control the ball and the clock. Score in the second half. Win.

Tonight is a golden opportunity to show the entire nation this is a new team. Here's hoping they can do so.

Stand by for inactives. Talk among yourselves. Call my old partner Murf inappropriate names.

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
o No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III
o No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson
o No. 35 CB Justin Rogers
o No. 56 LB Perry Riley, Jr.
o No. 61 G Spencer Long
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio

No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.
No. 51 Will Compton is expected to start in place of Riley, Jr. at linebacker.

Prediction

Lake Lewis forced a prediction outta me: Redskins 17-13 Giants #daretobewrong

Turnout

Twenty-minutes before kickoff and still but a smattering of fans in the stadium. At FedEx with same record we'd be tweeting about it low turnout for 0-2 team. Here? Maybe the tailgating is that good...

Showtime

Here's to a good game. Follow me in-game @Skinscast on Twitter.

Half

Typical Redskins, soiling themselves on national TV on the road against New York. Every possible mistake they could make.

Yet they are only down 9 with a half to go. The last two offensive series showed some like. But they will need much more of it, to include touchdowns.

A little luck would be nice...

JimmiJo

When the Washington Redskins weren’t shooting themselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers, they were being out-played and even out-coached by the New York Giants.

New York beat Washington by a final score of 32 – 21, though it wasn’t nearly that close.
Despite signs to the contrary last week, the bottom line for this team is; ‘not yet.’

Washington does not have the combination of talent, confidence, and competence to overcome the mistakes they made tonight. I’m not sure the ’91 Skins could have done much with these gaffs.

But worse, they were outplayed. The defense was at times pushed around. They were run on. Not a lot but enough. And then after a while, they were thrown on. They surrendered 84 rushing-yards. Add another 279 through the air, to include 2 passing touchdowns and another one rushing.
Could they have turned around the early poor start? Absolutely. But it kept getting worse.

The bad luck started early. Teams had the blocked punt going out of the end zone for the safety.
Offensively, Cousins threw an early interception. After play-action to no-one, he telegraphed the seam route to Jordan Reed, which allowed Prince Amukamara to jump the route. Cousins then added another in the second half by forcing a throw, which was tipped up and caught by New York. Two un-forced errors that cost them dearly. The first resulted in a touchdown from New York and the second took away a clear scoring-chance.

Then they were snakebit late, with Matt Jones fumbling a touchdown out of the end zone. The game was effectively over at that point. Of course, Washington still found a way to give up another big play.

Add to it the injuries. Shaun Lauvao. DeAngelo Hall. Josh LeRibeus. Morgan Moses. Washington suffered from the short week and plain bad luck.

But even before all that, early on; it seemed the Giants had game planned well for the Redskins. Washington was unable to mount a rushing attack anywhere as effective as last week. They finished well under the 100-yard mark with XXX. And when Cousins wasn’t throwing picks he was able to complete some passes, albeit much of it late in garbage time. Cousins finished 30 of 49, for 316-yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions and a rating of 69.77.

This game was much more of a measuring stick than anything we’ve seen so far. And Washington failed.

But as bad as it looked; it was just one game. It can’t count for two though, if there was such a rule, it would have been enacted tonight. And really, take away the turnovers and this is a much closer game.

In fact, the Redskins achieved more first downs 22-to-19, 40-percent conversion on 3rd down compared to 33-percent for Giants, 393-yards to 363 and just lost the time of possession battle.
But oh the mistakes.

The bottom line is there will be stinkers from this young team.

Cousins showed that until further notice, he needs a good run game to win. He did some nice things tonight. Unfortunately, he did some very poor things. Head coach Jay Gruden said last week he would make mistakes.

Hopefully, he’s got them out of his system for a few weeks.

The locker room was pretty dejected. They came in thinking there were going to get one. Coach Gruden looked pretty glum as well. He assured us there is no quarterback controversy.

Cousins was contrite, telling us he; “made some bad plays.” He said the first pick was a great play by the back. The second one however, he said was inexcusable.

Well folks. It’s been great, but I have a long drive. TK will place the link to photos in a bit. I’ve a long drive home tonight.

P.S. - not sure about injuries, though Gruden sounded worried about DeAngelo Hall. Fingers crossed.

See you for the next game.

Photos
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/extremeskins/

20B2CCE6-781D-46F8-BC5B-19121B2620AD_zps

9A17D7AB-C4C8-41C4-A6B4-DD31EC25FCD7_zps

C6E312DB-ECFD-44D3-892E-EF9C57C2F398_zps

6BF0AA61-7522-4E86-B87A-975BF1298D1C_zps

Let's do this!!!!!!! I was really disappointed after the loss against Miami but after a convincing win last week, some good O line and D line play in both games, I can't help but get excited again. I am pumped! I hope I won't be let down again....I really want to believe in the culture change. Let's go Skins!!!!!!!!!!!! HTTR!

Happy Riley's out and Compton will get the start. Had he had a fully healthy pe-season, I'd of taken Will to win the job outright. 

Riley's not had a bad start, but like the rest of the D I'm not jumping on the band wagon with the plaudits until we play a decent O/ QB. This is the first proper test of Barry for me. 

Expecting the wounded Giants to bounce back as we never do well up there. But win or lose, the real interesting thing to me is how we look on the road in the division. Done real well the first two but this is the first real test of just where we're at and how the season will go for me. 

Hail. 

Heading to my sports bar on the West Coast for a pre-game warm up before returning to the homestead to see the game.

I think the Skins will beat the Giants. It's a good dose of realistic optimism. 

If NFLN is on, you won't see a GODDAMN thing about the Redskins. sigh....

NFLN pre-game just broke away from making love to the Giants in their reports to discuss the Redskins. Ready for this? They discussed "The Future of RGIII." OMFG! That lasted less than a minute and they returned to Michael "The Tweaker" Irvin for a positive report on Odell Beckham Jr. WOOOOOHOOOO!!!   /PUKE

Archived