Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins verses Dolphins - Final

JimmiJo

You really don't understand it?  I get the fair and balanced approach, but Gruden is a major issue.  Hard not to see it with the undisciplined play, poor play calling, lack of coherent game plan, lack of second half adjustments.  During all the Gibbs years, you knew we would come out stronger in the second half than the first.  With this coach (and most bad coaches), it's the exact opposite. I admire your ability to stay positive though: we just lost at home to a mediocre out of conference opponent and totally self destructed down the stretch.

There's a difference between staying positive and understanding where the team is at. I'm not "positive", don't think the team is very good, but I felt this way going into the season. I've always maintained that I just want the team to be competitive more than anything, no complete melt downs or blowouts. 

And I can have a balanced perspective as well on it all. Will get into it more as the week progresses, just not worth it right now. Everyone is way too emotional. 

Everybody blames Gruden but for all we know he's a HOF coach on another team. Just look at what Gibbs and Shanny did here.

Re: Gibbs, you mean two playoff appearances in four years? And a playoff win?

SHOW SOME ****ING RESPECT TO JOE GIBBS. HE'S RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL SUCCESS WE'VE EVER HAD IN THIS FRANCHISE. HOW DARE YOU. 

There's a difference between staying positive and understanding where the team is at. I'm not "positive", don't think the team is very good, but I felt this way going into the season. I've always maintained that I just want the team to be competitive more than anything, no complete melt downs or blowouts. 

And I can have a balanced perspective as well on it all. Will get into it more as the week progresses, just not worth it right now. Everyone is way too emotional. 

Understood.  I think what frustrates me the most is that good teams play one opponent every week: the team lined up across from them.  Bad teams, like us, play two: the other team and themselves.  Today, we were a more difficult opponent than Miami.

It's easy to blame the refs, but we should be blaming our own lack of discipline.  Most of those calls seemed correct to me, and they will always miss a couple.  As many opportunities as we missed, I think Miami missed several as well.

I was really impressed by our improvement up front on both sides of the ball.   PSmith flashed.  Hopefully he can keep it up.  

Special teams play is simply frustrating.  I have no idea how we can continue to be this consistently bad for this long of a time.  

Secondary is banged up.  Hopefully Breeland is ready to roll next week.  Hard to be mad at the defense for this one.  Barry is an upgrade, just how much of an upgrade is still to be seen.

Also the missed INTs....,.had a flashback of Carlos "No D in last name or game" Rogers when Culliver dropped that pick.....I literally wanted to vomit..... But that couldve the Thug Passion I was drinking (Henny & Hypnotic).....

Scoring 10 points is punching somebody in the mouth?

Rushing for 135 vs one of the top defenses in the NFL is punching them in the mouth. They didn't just run away from wake and Suh. They ran at them over and over. The penalties stopped the Redskins. Eleven for 88 yards. They were moving the ball all day long.

LOL, and everybody talks about the Dolphins D but their run defense was ranked 24th last year and it carried over into this year.

Lol they didn't have Suh last year. :P

Understood.  I think what frustrates me the most is that good teams play one opponent every week: the team lined up across from them.  Bad teams, like us, play two: the other team and themselves.  Today, we were a more difficult opponent than Miami.

Yes, very frustrating. But that's what we're looking for this season. Growth from a bad team to a good one. I just didn't expect it to happen right away, as much as I hoped for it. 

I'm not going to be inconsistent. Have said this the entire offseason, not changing after one game. Let's see how the team answers from here. 

Re: Gibbs, you mean two playoff appearances in four years? And a playoff win?

SHOW SOME ****ING RESPECT TO JOE GIBBS. HE'S RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL SUCCESS WE'VE EVER HAD IN THIS FRANCHISE. HOW DARE YOU. 

This is not only correct, but totally in character. Well done.

Yes, very frustrating. But that's what we're looking for this season. Growth from a bad team to a good one. I just didn't expect it to happen right away, as much as I hoped for it. 

I'm not going to be inconsistent. Have said this the entire offseason, not changing after one game. Let's see how the team answers from here. 

I think the more likely progression is growth from a bad team to a mildly mediocre team.

I think the more likely progression is growth from a bad team to a mildly mediocre team.

I'm realistic in how much growth we can likely expect in 1 year, however part of problem is though we are more talented we still are thin on talent. A couple bad weeks in camp and the 1st game of the season has already made us thinner.  

I think what frustrated me most is this just felt in many ways like an extension on of last year.... Bad penalties, inconsistent coaching, lack of adjustments, and the ability to continually beat ourselves.  Its only 1 game so I will qualify my remarks for the time being, but its not a good sign.  This was a great statement game to show we're doing business differently, instead we lost for many of the same reasons we've lost in the past under Gruden.

I like Cousins just fine but I have a feeling a very common phrase around here this season is going to be 'that pick wasn't Kirks fault because...'. 

He's allowed to make mistakes but you can't say he played good or okay when they scored 10 pts and he has two INT.

Thats a fair statement but it felt like he had no real opportunities in that 2nd half until late 4th quarter.  How many yards/1st downs did they take off the box score due to drops and penalties.

But your right, its only fair to hold him accountable.

I thought that was about as well coached a game as we've seen from Gruden in a loss.

It was a total team effort to mask the deficincies (holes) in the team...

Thought the defense was excellent (except Golston - when Highway 64 came in Miami saw it and ran right at him twice for about 25-30 yards).

Thought the offensive line was excellent. 

Thought Alfred Morris was excellent and that shocked me.  He was outstanding.

Thought Ryan Grant was outstanding as a blocker and a WR.

Cousins made some bad throws, but I thought he was professional and moved the chains until the end there.

There was a lot to like about this one.  But the grading scale changes as the season matures.  The game was there at the end and we blew it.  We need to take it next time it's there.

Honestly shocked me a bit too, he had more burst than ever, looked elite to me.  Matt Jones has his work cut out for him.

I'm about as optimistic as they come, but did everyone else get that slow sense of dread creeping in? When the phins marched down the field at the end of the first half it started creeping in. Like they were so much more in control of the game yet only up by 3. Then like a tidal wave in the 2nd half.. penalty, penatly, penalty, punt return, such an epic meltdown for the team who controlled most of the game.

Edit: Having said that there were positives. Defense wasn't TERRIBLE. Offensive line was pretty stable. Preston Smith and Jordan Reed had some pretty impressive moments. The offensive did move quite a bit, though with little to show. But movement is good.

The Dolphins are a very weird team. They can punt on all of their drives for the entire game, but the offense comes alive in 2 minute situations. Encouraging to see but odd.

Archived