Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anybody Had Success Rehabbing a Partially Torn Rotator?

KingGibbs

Just found out that I have a partially torn Rotator and inflammation of the bicep.

Doctor said he wants to try rehab for four weeks twice a week. As weird as it may sound I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't want to go straight to surgery because I just don't want to delay what I feel will be the inevitable.

Any success stories from rehab?

Just found out that I have a partially torn Rotator and inflammation of the bicep.

Doctor said he wants to try rehab for four weeks twice a week. As weird as it may sound I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't want to go straight to surgery because I just don't want to delay what I feel will be the inevitable.

Any success stories from rehab?

Define success......... :(

Long time ago. I could only raise the arm about 40 degrees, and the doctor wanted an MRI, but there was no money for even that. 

I slept with a tennis ball strapped to my ribs to keep me from rolling onto that side, and lived with plenty of pain, but after a year I had full range of motion. Then another couple years of exercise to get all the strength back. And a few more to get all the stamina and "feedback" (the feelings you get from the muscle as it fatigues) back to normal.

After seven years it was good as new, except for an indent you can still feel if you touch it there.  

Hoping yours is less serious.

It's been a long time since mine but rehabbing without surgery wouldn't allow me to regain full ROM and strength as far as throwing a baseball is concerned.  Then again, neither did the surgery.  Also, the rehab is worse than the injury.  You'll want to stab your PT in the throat.

PLEASEBLITZ IS 100% CORRECT--that chart he posted is AWESOME.  I was about to scan & post that very same chart.

The key to each motion is to slowly engage the band, hold 5 seconds, and slowly disengage.  The slow disengage is the most important part of the whole thing--research has shown that grows the crucial types of muscle fibers that are key to recovery.

I had a torn superior labrum anterior posterior ("SLAP tear") in my left shoulder.  Doc wanted to operate, said that was the only way to fix it because that part of the tendon doesn't get blood flow to help with the repair.  Whatever, I said no.  It got better on its own (but took a couple of years, I didn't do any physical therapy on it).

Right shoulder has chronic tendinosis due to a motorcycle accident 21 years ago.  The collar bone is permanently separated from the shoulder, so the tracks for all the tendons are messed up, and it gives out when I lift heavy.  I do the exercises PleaseBlitz posted before working out when I get heavy, and my shoulder holds up to the pressure.

Please don't do surgery except as a last last resort.  Once you pop the factory-installed oil seal it's never never the same.  Stick it out with PB's chart.  Each exercise 3 sets of 10 reps.  Start doing that a couple times a week, increase to daily if you need it.  Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional, as with any rehabilitation program or exercise consult a medical professional before engaging.

You sound disappointed that you're not getting surgery.  Surgery isn't a quick fix.  You'd still have to do rehab.  You have the info I posted in the other thread.  I don't have any direct experience myself however.  Generally, if you can avoid surgery, it's better, but it just may take longer than you want and you have to put in the work.

Edit:  Apologies if I misread your tone.  If you aren't satisfied with your diagnosis/treatment regimen you can always get a second opinion.  However, a good doctor will usually view cutting you open as a last resort if PT doesn't work.

I'm just getting old aren't I?

Just wait....it gets worse  :blink:

No surgery necessary.

I've rehabbed from knees and shoulders w/o surgery, PB has good advice on the shoulder

I'd advise to drink heavily

Thanks for all of the input thus far.

Springfield. Doctors have a general idea that it's a rotator via various mobility tess but an MRI is the final confirmation. Even then if surgery is required the severity could be less or more than diagnosed once they get in there and take a look.

Edit. Have any of you gone back to lifting weights? That's a concern I have.

What are your symptoms? Reduced range of motion, painful range of motion?

These are all things I'm sure I could google, I just prefer the conversation with you all.

Yes range of motion is limited and painful. Wakes me up at night throbbing. My upper biceps inflammation is really painful and is a direct result from the rotator tear.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that it depends on your definition of success. You may have a reduction in pain or an increase in range of motion. Your body will eventually adapt buy building the muscles around the rotator cuff to compensate for the torn part, but it will never be like before.

But the truth is, even with surgery, you'll probably notice some difference in your shoulder. Sometimes it's a little stiff. Sometimes it takes a long time for strength to come back (years). Sometimes they just don't have quite the same range of motion.

Do the PT. Even if you have surgery, it sets you up nicely for the recovery part.

Get the MRI before anything. Couple be lots of things.

-Slap tear -Pretty much every active adult has a SLAP tear.  Most are able to rehab and deal with it with out surgery. If you do need surgery - Its a LONG recovery. 

First I had issues on my left shoulder.  Same as you described. Drr thought it was Rotator -Had MRI, it was a slap tear.  Got a cortizone shot - That was 18 months ago. Feels fine now - Even do full weights - no problem.

Then Right shoulder I had issues -Couldn't throw a ball - front of shoulder and bicep hurt.  First they thought SLAP tear, then thought Rotator...

MRI showed SLAP and a bad Bankart tear of the labrum.  But Rotator was fine.  It was caused by Shoulder dislocating (Although I have no idea when) and apparently my shoulder was slipping in and out of place.

Ended up getting surgery for the Bankart tear (Ignored the SLAP as that prob wasnt causing my issue).  Only on week 2 of recovery - so will let you know how it it goes.

Edit. Have any of you gone back to lifting weights? That's a concern I have.

No problem. My shoulders feel better nowadays than when I was 25. Here's what I've learned:

1  Get a good warmup before going heavy

2  You can get stronger without taking your sets to failure (Hermann Goerner deadlifted 793 before steroids were discovered - never went to failure)

3 Don't only go heavy. I always mix in a medium and a high rep set. High reps, like 75, will make a man out of you - I think this is the single most important reason that I'm still able to lift. 

4 You don't have to stretch to extremes, but some stretching is a good idea.

Imagine yourself in 30 years, still kicking butt - getting older may be mandatory, but getting feeble isn't.

How does one know if they have torn rotator cuff?

I was tossing the football last weekend and the stronger throws were certainly more painful. I was sore the next day.

I'm just getting old aren't I?

Start with ping pong balls and work your way up to footballs. A good act can shoot then across the room into a cup. Starting with something so large would definitely tear you all the way.

Have any of you gone back to lifting weights? That's a concern I have.

Haven't tore a rotator cuff but I tore the bicep tendon off the bone at the elbow last November. I've been complaing about the elbow just clamping up or something, really hard to explain, since about April/May. On machines, pull down/row/chest extension I've worked back up to 4 sets of 10 reps at 100lbs. The right arm won't bend to budge the fly machine even with 10lbs on it. Before the tear, I was doing 4x10 at 250lbs. The Doc recommended a scope as we're both pretty much thinking its scar tissue. Workman's Comp wanted a 2nd opinion & he agreed with the scope. So that's scheduled for the end of next month. Yay.

Start with the bands until your body feels like it's ready for the weights. Just start out slow with very light weights. Listen to your body, if it feels like it's saying **** you, then stop & ice it & rest it.

Last week week doing pull downs, it started feeling like I was stretching or pulling the repaired tendon. Scared the **** outta me & stopped immediately. Even then, the arm didn't want to fully straighten out & I had a throbbing/pulsing in the forearm that lasted for about 5 days.

One of these days I'm gonna end up giving up the weights & just go straight to DDP Yoga. :D

Archived