Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Anybody Had Success Rehabbing a Partially Torn Rotator?

KingGibbs

Last week week doing pull downs, it started feeling like I was stretching or pulling the repaired tendon. Scared the **** outta me & stopped immediately. Even then, the arm didn't want to fully straighten out & I had a throbbing/pulsing in the forearm that lasted for about 5 days.

I had this one, too (and others) - tried to catch a falling piece of heavy machinery with the only hand available; now have the "cufflink" anchor in the radial tuberosity, and a really short right biceps.

So I know about the "stretching" feeling, and the spasms. What I think was happening was that the scar tissue was building up and impinging on the tendon. So whenever it acted up, I'd stick my finger into the tendon insertion and rub it, hard, to break up the scar tissue. At first it was every day. Then a couple of times a week, then hardly ever. 

It hurts to do it, but it worked. Might work for you, too. 

Thanks TK! I originally thought I tore my bicep because it is very painful at times. Could no longer do curls and then I had to eliminate one exercise after the other. Inflammation is a ****. Can't imagine a tear. Good luck in your recovery!

Yeah most guys tear the bicep tendon at the shoulder. Not me. I had to do it the hard way. :D

What sucks is they move a nerve out of the way to drill the bone for reattchment. So the nerve gets irritated & the forearm feels like it's full of Novocain. That feeling is now about 90% gone. Eight months after surgery.

I had this one, too (and others) - tried to catch a falling piece of heavy machinery with the only hand available; now have the "cufflink" anchor in the radial tuberosity, and a really short right biceps.

So I know about the "stretching" feeling, and the spasms. What I think was happening was that the scar tissue was building up and impinging on the tendon. So whenever it acted up, I'd stick my finger into the tendon insertion and rub it, hard, to break up the scar tissue. At first it was every day. Then a couple of times a week, then hardly ever.

It hurts to do it, but it worked. Might work for you, too.

Funny thing is in Pre Op he told me he was going to do the anchor. I didn't find out until 3 weeks later when they took the cast off & xrayed it that he ended up drilling 4 holes through the bone & sutured it that way. My surgeon is German so I tell people it's German engineered with Fahrvergnügen. :D

No problem. My shoulders feel better nowadays than when I was 25. Here's what I've learned:

1  Get a good warmup before going heavy

2  You can get stronger without taking your sets to failure (Hermann Goerner deadlifted 793 before steroids were discovered - never went to failure)

3 Don't only go heavy. I always mix in a medium and a high rep set. High reps, like 75, will make a man out of you - I think this is the single most important reason that I'm still able to lift. 

4 You don't have to stretch to extremes, but some stretching is a good idea.

Imagine yourself in 30 years, still kicking butt - getting older may be mandatory, but getting feeble isn't.

75 reps ... seems like a lot ....

75 reps ... seems like a lot ....

Yup, it seems like a lot when your doing it, too. :)  I usually don't go higher than 60 - 65.

I've also done months of doing 100 reps to failure. If you do them with continuous tension, it forces the formation of new capillaries in the muscle. It's like torture, but the results are worth it. 

KingGibbs, one more thing, to bounce off TK's post: You don't work through the pain, you "work around" the pain. So if military presses are hurting you this week, try upright rows or laterals. Variety makes for longevity.

Also, it's far more common to overtrain than to undertrain. When you feel like you're going stale, first try doing less. You might be amazed how lazy you can actually be while still making progress.  :P

One thing I've learned as I get older.  I can no longer go to the gym and try to lift a truck.  I'm going on 48 years old and I'm not into wearing a belt and trying to power lift or show off lifting heavy weights.

I'm more into cardio and lifting modest weights on the machines with many reps.  I'm not interested in getting muscles on muscles as I am just staying in shape and having a nice semi-muscular look.

You just can't lift the weights that you lifted when you were 25.  Laugh at me that I only bench 100-125lbs, but I do it 30 times within 3 minutes. No treadmill. I get on the ski machine for a more complete workout for arms and legs. 

I know my limitations for lifting. I hurt bad enough without tryin to hurt myself.

No surgery necessary.

I don't know if I should have gotten surgery but I never did. I tore mine back in the mid-90s. I was weakened in that arm for about 10 years but now I can pretty much do whatever I need to do, including lift weights.

I still feel it every now and then, especially when the weather is bad.

Archived