Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

So I picked up a new router tonight at 70% clearance special at Target (Linksys MAX-STREAM AC2200 Tri-Band) and now I need to get a cable modem to gow it it. The current set-up (that is being replaced) is a modem/router in one and frankly it sucks donkey balls.

Any recommendations for a somewhat budget friendly modem? The caveat is that I think I need 2 ethernet ports on the modem because our home security has to have a separate router (that Comcast provided) solely for it. ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I guess this is the best place for this question.  I am pretty tech-stupid.

I have the Directv app on my Samsung tablet and IPad.  I can watch stuff on those devices that are on DVR on the device screen.  How can I hook it up so it will show on my TV?  I hate watching stuff on the tiny tablet screen.  I have a PS4 that I use to stream stuff also (Netflix, Hulu, etc) if there is an easier way using that.  Anyone?

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I guess this is the best place for this question.  I am pretty tech-stupid.

I have the Directv app on my Samsung tablet and IPad.  I can watch stuff on those devices that are on DVR on the device screen.  How can I hook it up so it will show on my TV?  I hate watching stuff on the tiny tablet screen.  I have a PS4 that I use to stream stuff also (Netflix, Hulu, etc) if there is an easier way using that.  Anyone?

That's a directv question.  I've wondered this as well as my understanding is dvr is literally saving the programming to the device like a hdd, but in a format that can't be taken off (do copy write reasons).  Unless the tablet can directly transfer files to the cable box.  

Now what would be cool is the dvr files replicating to the boxes in the house automatically via wifi (with boxes plugged up wifi or ethernet).  My parents have directv but i don't see an ethernet jack on back of the boxes.  From what i can tell they are supposed to be able to connect to the internet for additional on demand content, but it wasn't configured properly and I need to just make time for it 

In short, idk, ask directv, i think they halfway home on what you are trying to do anyway.

Edited by Renegade7

• 1 month later...

I have to do a stupid online class for work.  The website kept freezing at work so I figured I would do it from home.  I have a CAC reader I bought for use at home and I have used it before on my home wifi.  I tried logging into the website using my cell as a hotspot and it said something about security and wouldn't let me log on.  So I logged on to the campground wifi and got the same issue.  Both my hotspot and campground wifi say "secured" when I select them.  It is a government website I'm trying to get into but nothing secret squirrel or anything.

@Renegade7 You know tech stuff, right?

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I have to do a stupid online class for work.  The website kept freezing at work so I figured I would do it from home.  I have a CAC reader I bought for use at home and I have used it before on my home wifi.  I tried logging into the website using my cell as a hotspot and it said something about security and wouldn't let me log on.  So I logged on to the campground wifi and got the same issue.  Both my hotspot and campground wifi say "secured" when I select them.  It is a government website I'm trying to get into but nothing secret squirrel or anything.

@Renegade7 You know tech stuff, right?

A little something something : )

Have you ever been to the website outside the office before?  If not, it might not be accessible from outside the network and you'd need to VPN in (hard to say without the error page you are getting). 

I'll tell you this from my experience, I'd recommend reaching out to tech support because I've seen first hand how government is not a fan of people trying to figure out how to get to their web pages from the outside, regardless of the reason.  Expect failed attempts to get logged, multiple attempts to get flagged.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A little something something : )

Have you ever been to the website outside the office before?  If not, it might not be accessible from outside the network and you'd need to VPN in (hard to say without the error page you are getting). 

I'll tell you this from my experience, I'd recommend reaching out to tech support because I've seen first hand how government is not a fan of people trying to figure out how to get to their web pages from the outside, regardless of the reason.  Expect failed attempts to get logged, multiple attempts to get flagged.

Yea I used to be able to do it with the same laptop and CAC reader from my home wifi when I was in Florida.  Now, it says "

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.bol.navy.mil didn’t accept your login certificate, or one may not have been provided.

• Try contacting the system admin.
ERR_BAD_SSL_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT

"

I am supposed to get it done tonight.  

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yea I used to be able to do it with the same laptop and CAC reader from my home wifi when I was in Florida.  Now, it says "

www.bol.navy.mil didn’t accept your login certificate, or one may not have been provided.

"

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/TM0Tg0_YOvg

It doesn't like the cert on your end for connecting to this site (that's what it looks like its saying).  Easy start is to clear your browser (cookies, history, everything), because even if I tell you where the cert might be, I don't want to screw you up on which one to delete without how to replace it.

Clear out your browser first, you tried other browsers, right.  One other thing I've seen is Group Policy get ahead on one end or the other in terms of requiring certs be safe on both ends (that was more an RDP issue, thinking out loud on that one).

Tech Support done for the day?

1 minute ago, tshile said:

That reads to me like the website requires a certificate be installed on your computer before you can reach the site. 

Same thing I thought, so unless its gone, he's already been using it (if its gone, different convo, and probably can't help him at all tonight).

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

"

Looks like it is not reading your cert on the CAC reader. Try unplugging your CAC card reader and plug it in a different USB port and/or reboot laptop. Not sure if you have already done that. Take out the CAC card and reinsert as well.  

If above doesn't work then your CAC reader might have gone bad. 

Edited by zskins

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Looks like it is not reading your cert on the CAC reader. Try unplugging your CAC card reader and plug it in a different USB port and/or reboot laptop. Not sure if you have already done that. Take out the CAC card and reinsert as well.  

Yea none of the stuff is working.  I'll call the help desk tomorrow.  Luckily I'm the boss so no one can yell at me for not getting it done.  They can only call me a hypocrite for telling them to get it done.  But I'm also the one who sees the list of who hasn't done it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yea none of the stuff is working.  I'll call the help desk tomorrow.  Luckily I'm the boss so no one can yell at me for not getting it done.  They can only call me a hypocrite for telling them to get it done.  But I'm also the one who sees the list of who hasn't done it.

Your CAC card reader might have gone bad. This is has been a fix for me as long as the actual cert hasn't expired or revoked. 

Being boss you are not setting good examples... lol :P

Edited by zskins

Your CAC card reader might have gone bad. This is has been a fix for me as long as the actual cert hasn't expired or revoked. 

I did get a new ID a while ago and this is the first time I've tried it with this new ID.

Being boss you are not setting good examples... lol :P

Not the first time and probably won't be the last.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new monitor for Christmas, but my PC is old and doesn't support it. I've looked into vga to hdmi adapters which is the path I need to go. But I keep seeing audio being included in the setup. I'm happy with the audio setup that I have now, so can I disregard the audio part of that comes with these adapters and just use it for the vga to hdmi and use the current audio setup that I already have?

12 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Got a new monitor for Christmas, but my PC is old and doesn't support it. I've looked into vga to hdmi adapters which is the path I need to go. But I keep seeing audio being included in the setup. I'm happy with the audio setup that I have now, so can I disregard the audio part of that comes with these adapters and just use it for the vga to hdmi and use the current audio setup that I already have?

VGA doesn't carry any audio signals only video. HDMI even though carries both but in this situation you are only getting video since there is no HDMI at the other end for the audio. Your current audio will be used instead. You will be fine with this setup. 

Does your video card/computer have DVI too? If it does then get a DVI to HDMI instead so you can at least get digital video instead of analog. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zskins said:

VGA doesn't carry any audio signals only video. HDMI even though carries both but in this situation you are only getting video since there is no HDMI at the other end for the audio. Your current audio will be used instead. You will be fine with this setup. 

Does your video card/computer have DVI too? If it does then get a DVI to HDMI instead so you can at least get digital video instead of analog. 

Yea I did some more reading today and even though the new audio source will be present, it won't be required to use. So I'm all set. Thanks for the help. (No DVI. Ollllllld outdated computer lol)

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into some odd file sharing issues for several people this morning, and knew it was related to Windows Updates. This is on some Windows 7 or Server 2008 machines that were updated last night, with the specific issue of a network share not being able to be accessed using credentials of a local admin on the PC/Server sharing the folder. The registry edit works (at least on Windows 7). Guess you could also change the way the share is accessed, depending on your environment/s. We had several people having issues with copiers scanning to folders on PCs, and some small workgroup users accessing Quickbooks file shares. Thought it might save someone else the trouble of tracking it down.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/09/windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-updates-kb4480970-and-kb4480960-causing-network-issues/

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Ran into some odd file sharing issues for several people this morning, and knew it was related to Windows Updates. This is on some Windows 7 or Server 2008 machines that were updated last night, with the specific issue of a network share not being able to be accessed using credentials of a local admin on the PC/Server sharing the folder. The registry edit works (at least on Windows 7). Guess you could also change the way the share is accessed, depending on your environment/s. We had several people having issues with copiers scanning to folders on PCs, and some small workgroup users accessing Quickbooks file shares. Thought it might save someone else the trouble of tracking it down.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/01/09/windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-updates-kb4480970-and-kb4480960-causing-network-issues/

I came across this issue today. My wife's cousins called and asked for my help for one his client and they were sharing QB on a Windows 7 machine. I told them to change the router (the firmware failed on it) will see if the problem is still there after the router change and if so then I will have them just uninstall the update and then hide. Thanks for posting this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zskins said:

I came across this issue today. My wife's cousins called and asked for my help for one his client and they were sharing QB on a Windows 7 machine. I told them to change the router (the firmware failed on it) will see if the problem is still there after the router change and if so then I will have them just uninstall the update and then hide. Thanks for posting this. 

I like to try and post things like this that I run into and think might be helpful here. I've gotten some help here before, definitely by tshile, probably renegade and you, so I try to remember that and contribute here. I figured, besides people that work in IT, this issue might have affected some people who poke their heads in here when they see new post, and use Windows 7 machines at home or in their small offices, etc. I figured someone would probably run into the issues at some point yesterday.

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

This thread used to get bumped way more often when it first started, so always happy to see it on front page again.  I never see @Gamebreaker in here anymore, but he's mentioned he's got more going on now. 

There's a lot IT folk here on ES, and ya, I'm glad it's been helpful to even people that aren't.  Love to see it keep going.

• Like 1