Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

10 hours ago, mattsb84 said:

Typical user would have that destroyed fairly quickly I'd guess.

Lets stop pretending they're trying to protect people from themselves with these devices.  How many people walking around with cracked screens right now.  Why are they still glass?

9 hours ago, zskins said:

Does anyone own a series 7 or 9 QLED TV? Is it worth it to go for the 9. I will be buying the 75" TV. 

I would rather get OLED but my wife gave me a very bad look when I told her the price...lol

have her come out to the store to see what an OLED looks like compared to the other TVs.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 7:08 AM, PokerPacker said:

have her come out to the store to see what an OLED looks like compared to the other TVs.

She doesn't care much for how the TV looks. She hardly watches TV. So it is really up to me but the accountant on the other hand is not going to budge..lol. So with that in mind 7 or 9? These two are at least in her price range/budget. The ironic part of all this is she doesn't even work and it is my money that she has total control of....lol. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...... Cloudfare is trending with their new DNS service.

"secure", "private", "fast"

It's got all the buzzwords

https://1.1.1.1/

Medium did some tests and it seemed to live up to the hype:

https://medium.com/@nykolas.z/dns-resolvers-performance-compared-cloudflare-x-google-x-quad9-x-opendns-149e803734e5

~4ms compared to ~8ms isn't enough to make me jump on the boat right now, but it's worth paying attention to.

I'm conflicted because I don't know if I'm supposed to trust Cloudfare for privacy more than Google or not...

Google is interesting because there is ample evidence to suggest they do care about our privacy, but it's a monster tech company that made its money off knowing as much about everyone as possible, then doing stuff with that data. 

Cloudfare on the other hand... I don't know that I trust them at all... it's not that they are bad (in terms of quality or motives) I just don't know that we have any evidence of them being on either side. Just their claims...

thoughts?

2 hours ago, tshile said:

thoughts?

So I'll admit that we have some of our production servers pointing to 8.8.8.8 instead of the DNS our ISP provides (Cox is garbage and Google isn't going anywhere).  But that macro level change on new server builds was decided above me back when we realized we needed to do something different to make sure stuff worked versus weighing our options on the topic.

Having said that, I went to Cloudflare's Wiki page, and I'm more turned off then I thought I would be.  At the same time, Google recently said they weren't going to scan our emails for targeting ads at us recently, but in my eye, that's because they have so many other ways to gather that info that they don't need to, and it was a publicity stunt.

None of them are perfect, so I'll recommend you do what we should've done: weigh your options.

There are other DNS resolvers out there that I believe are safer, but I haven't done enough research into verifying that or their stability in regards to what I do at work.  I'm not sold on using some of the one's I've experimented at home with in a production setting yet (some of the more open ones I've come across  seem like they aren't meant for server environments).

Edit:  This screenshot from the link you posted speaks volumes to me, as none of them have 'yes' for all for all four categories (are there any out there that do?):

1*3IJ5rPalqhkrW4SbbqLmYQ.png

Edited by Renegade7

I've always used 8.8.8.8 for DNS servers to look to for forwarding when we've enabled forwarding. The root hints used to have this huge recursive lookup problem back in the day, but I think that's been fixed.

I noticed the same thing and posed the same sort of question to our group - Is DNSSec better or worse than DNSoverHTTPs? Guess i'll have to do some looking...

The speed increase is irrelevant to me. I realize it's twice as fast, but we're talking about 4ms vs 8ms, and I'd prefer reliability given the context of everything here.

I also don't know that I trust Cloudflare more than Google. 

• Like 1

I stumbled across this at 12:20 on Monday morning, and I'm too tired to read or think, but thought of this thread... so kind of a bookmark to look at later. Maybe something for anyone who pokes their nose in here, and actually wonders about the past couple of posts

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/

Edited by SoulSkin

On 4/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, SoulSkin said:

I stumbled across this at 12:20 on Monday morning, and I'm too tired to read or think, but thought of this thread... so kind of a bookmark to look at later. Maybe something for anyone who pokes their nose in here, and actually wonders about the past couple of posts

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/

Good article. DNS encryption is not for the low end user at this point. Found a cool link though: https://cleanbrowsing.org/getting-started

alternative to Cisco/OpenDNS.

• Like 1

These hearings on capitol hill make me so angry

Every one of these congress people should have hired a person tech expert to whisper into their ear questions.

I haven't followed the ones today, but the ones from yesterday sounded like a joke.

Zuckerberg has no problem tap dancing around them because they're not qualified to interview him.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

These hearings on capitol hill make me so angry

Every one of these congress people should have hired a person tech expert to whisper into their ear questions.

I haven't followed the ones today, but the ones from yesterday sounded like a joke.

Zuckerberg has no problem tap dancing around them because they're not qualified to interview him.

They remind me of this guy:

Hail Hydra!

Garry-Shandling-as-Senator-Stern-in-Iron

• Haha 1

Well, I am going cableless really soon. I got an antenna for the camper, I have a wireless hotspot, and Amazon Fire tv. When I get settled in Austin I will check out my options for internet and everything else. 

One thing, I really like to record shows so I can play them back and fast forward through commercials. That way I can have my favorite programs and do activities in the meantime. 

20 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Well, I am going cableless really soon. I got an antenna for the camper, I have a wireless hotspot, and Amazon Fire tv. When I get settled in Austin I will check out my options for internet and everything else. 

One thing, I really like to record shows so I can play them back and fast forward through commercials. That way I can have my favorite programs and do activities in the meantime. 

Might I interest you in TiVo?

https://explore.tivo.com/antenna

I use it with cable and it’s great.  Has streaming plus DVR.  The model above works with OTA broadcast.

I LOVED Tivo, had one of the original boxes when they first came out.  Then went away from Tivo once HD came into fruition.  Then when they came out with the Tivo Bolt i jumped back in.  It was a fiasco.  Had one box die and they replaced it under warranty.  Then that box died and it was on me.  I was done then.  Also I have Comcast and had lots of issues with cable cards.  

I still think the Tivo is the best DVR interface ever created but don't trust their hardware and integration anymore. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

omg, I could not agree more.  this is a perfect example of government not keeping up with the times and it backfiring on us.  Zuckerberg is too smart too play stupid, but he will if he's allowed.

Did he talk to this committee yesterday, I can't confirm it (that's worse if they did and they still asked questions they didn't understand themselves):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Judiciary_Subcommittee_on_Privacy,_Technology_and_the_Law

Why in God's name is he getting interviewed by the House Energy and Commerce Committee today?  WTF does Energy have to do with this?  How can the government protect us from something they don't understand?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

I LOVED Tivo, had one of the original boxes when they first came out.  Then went away from Tivo once HD came into fruition.  Then when they came out with the Tivo Bolt i jumped back in.  It was a fiasco.  Had one box die and they replaced it under warranty.  Then that box died and it was on me.  I was done then.  Also I have Comcast and had lots of issues with cable cards.  

I still think the Tivo is the best DVR interface ever created but don't trust their hardware and integration anymore. 

I have Fios and a Bolt with two TiVo minis.  Haven’t had any problems except network reboots.  Way better interface than the Verizon stuff.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Thanks, Springfield! I have been looking at them but not a specific model. Thanks for the suggested model, will check it out.

I think a Bolt also works with OTA.  Just so you know, I don’t endorse anything over another.  I think both are good products though.

9 hours ago, zskins said:

Oh the new IT guys... use 8.8.8.8

I still use the original DNS entry: 4.2.2.1 or 4.2.2.2 even before Google was a thing. 

Or better yet, manage your own external DNS (like an Infoblox device) and forward all your internal to it.

Windows Server 2019

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/03/20/introducing-windows-server-2019-now-available-in-preview/

Project Honolulu just went to plaid...err... I mean prod. Windows Admin Center.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/04/12/windows-admin-center-now-available.aspx