Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

I have both. Android is my personal device and I have an iPhone 6 through my company as a work device. They're both nice so I agree...it really just comes down to personal preference. Though I like that with the Android all my google stuff (contacts, cloud stuff, etc) is immediately available once I sign in on my phone.

Some of it is actually ideological. I like that Android is open and anyone can build apps and share or sell them. Apple is pretty nuts when it comes to protecting all that stuff on their side.

• Like 1

What made you decide to switch?

I've only met a handful of people who switched to Apple from Android (presumably). I've met a few who started Apple, went Android and then back to Apple as well.

I have gone back and forth from Apple and Android twice. I'm currently using a HTC One M8 and I love it. But I've been contemplating going back to the iPhone next year. 

So back in the first week of August,  I get a task alert in my Calendar about expiring email certificates. I'm no longer the IT network admin, but it was a reminder I'd created months ago to make sure the users weren't going to have an issue. I email the new IT admin about this need a full two weeks before they are set to expire. I gave him the list of users who needed new certs created, double checked that he knew how to do it,

Fast forward to today and a third of the office is freaking out because they can't send encrypted email. My email and phone is blowing up when I'm supposed to be sleep, getting rest for my night shift. Not only did the new admin not install the new certs, he didn't even make at least half of them and dude went on vacation all of this week. 

So I'm working a lot less tonight because I spent 3 hours earlier today fixing his mess. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

your story is funny to me because it's common.

it's one reason i'll be reluctantly searching for a new job when the time comes, because my current environment doesn't have that problem but many, many do.

having to fix screw ups from people in your own department due to laziness, poorly managed procrastination (yes, you can procrastinate but still do your job well... :) ), or just general incompetence is so irritating.

my favorite people are the ones that upgrade systems in the middle of the night, decide to offset their unpaid overtime by coming in late the next morning, but they don't thoroughly check systems after the updates and they don't bother to inform anyone else in the group they did the updates. that makes for a fun early morning 'wtf is going on' exercise :)

• Like 1

got an alert about crypto virus on a computer this morning...

Chrome up to date.

Flash up to date, both version.

Windows up to date.

No admin rights on the machine

Antivirus up to date and working (it alerted us)

File Server Resource Manager blocked encrypting the shares.

So the damage was minimal, but a completely up-to-date device with working antivirus and an end user with no admin rights still got infected.

I'm inclined to think there's a zero day out there for flash we don't know about yet. Not much else you can do... everything was done by the book, still got infected.

The only actionable items would be:

- Block the internet

- Remove flash from all devices

Nothing else you can do. I'm so happy the edge browser removes flash and google chrome is going to get rid of it. Fire fox needs to dump it too, not just disable it when its out of date.

Those crypto viruses are nasty. I've only had to deal with it twice. One, I was able to get everything back by getting the crap cleaned off, Windows fixed up, manually removing a bunch of files related to the virus, and then restore documents using previous versions. Really scary because this user had mapped drives to the company's server, and cryptro variants can propagate to other machines over mapped drives. Fortunately, he did not have rights to the mapped drives via Group Policy. Not sure if that's why it didn't get to the server, or we just got lucky. The other time, I couldn't get anything back. Guy lost all of his documents.

Yeah, another reason to move off mapped drives. We've moved everyone we can, but garbage programs and people who refuse change have held out. As far as I know that thing won't iterate over a share via network locations/shortcuts.

Trend Micro's new cloud-based antivirus product has some web/ad blocking features that we hope will cut down on it. But you can't just get everyone to switch over right away, some people have long contracts in place and can't (or aren't willing) to throw away the money from the contract.

There's other solutions that work in large environments but we have quite a few smaller environments that (for various reasons) they just wont work in.

edit: We've had great success with the Windows File Server Resource Monitor setting it up to block the encrypted extensions (acime) on file servers and alert us to any attempt to create them. Should be available to anyone with windows 2008 r2 and later ( maybe 2008?)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I'm hitting price points anywhere from $40 to $300 for routers, to the untrained eye, seem to have the same specs. Thoughts? Does brand name matter?

I like Apple routers.  But their are certainly cheaper alternatives.  Just never had one of those die on me.  I've had Netgear and DLink routers just die.  If not Apple I'd probably go Asus.

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1

Asus or Linksys. Really digging the Linksys 2100, but its kind of big for a router. It was designed with DD-WRT in mind so you can certainly go with that if you don't like Linksys software, though the default gui is fine for me. My friend swears by asus routers, but i have no experience with them.

I had a netgear n750 but felt the interface/performance wasn't what it should have been for the price point.  Particularly the gui. It was incredibly slow. I wanted to put wrt on there but its not compatible.

Before that I had a linksys wrt54gl for about 8-9 years before I needed to replace it.

I'm hitting price points anywhere from $40 to $300 for routers, to the untrained eye, seem to have the same specs. Thoughts? Does brand name matter?

I love ASUS routers. They have very easy-to-use GUIs, and in my experience they've always been reliable. You can find them between $100-200. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

This is weird, some games artifact but others don't. 

When I play NBA 2k15 or The Sims 3 there is rampant artifacting and these lines all over the screen and they flash around, but when I played Arkham City yesterday it was completely smooth and there was no artifacting whatsoever. I don't understand

If it was the actual card wouldn't all games artifact

WHY DOES IT ONLY HAPPEN FOR CERTAIN GAMES BUT NOT OTHERS

I'm tempted to buy one of those since we're on a mac and iPhones at home. Even though it doesn't really matter. 

I've bought a lot of refurbished stuff and it works just as well as new. 

I love ASUS routers. They have very easy-to-use GUIs, and in my experience they've always been reliable. You can find them between $100-200. 

I don't really know how much these things should cost, so I was surprised that $100-$200 seems to be the going rate. 

The Asus RT-N56U is a good one. $85 on Amazon, if you're a prime member. I've dealt with two of these, in an optometrist's two offices. They use them for internet, and have several thinkpads connecting to the LAN over wifi, used for accessing server-based applications. Been like 4 years and never even had to reboot either one. They just work.

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

finally upgraded to windows 10. had to start testing it.

what a pain in the ass. not because of anything MS did, just imaging the machine, reinstalling everything (i wiped it after upgrading, just can't live with an upgrade... been burned too many times in the past)

it's interesting. i liked windows 8 so this is an improvement. need to spend a few months with it before saying much, i tend to look fondly upon new things only to later realize it's not quite as good as i thought... that said...

the one thing i will say is that the Edge browser is a piece of garbage.

unless you like programs that do something different everytime you issue the same command, because it's really good at that. if you're a fan of surprises then the Edge browser was built for you.

try to move a tab out of a window and who knows what its going to do. sometimes the tab stays and a new window opens. sometimes a different tab moves. somtimes the tabs collapse on themselves and the text is overlayed and you can't tell wtf is going on.

sometimes you move a tab into a window with other tabs and the stand alone tab goes away, a new blank tab opens and you can't use it, no text.

also itunes wouldn't install, i have a feeling its because it's not detecting 32vs64 bit correctly because it installed the 32 bit version of ApplicaitonSupport, which can't be right, and iTunes just throws errors when i try to launch it. I didn't put too much time into it because I just don't use it that much on my work machine...

i'm indifferent to the styling changes... i'm just not a fan of the blocky, flat design that websites are running these days and it feels like that. i have a 13" laptop, too much of my screen is going to solid colored blocks for the sale of looking 'modern'. this small content window is all i get and i have to scroll everything. give me back the thin, gradient styling so i can actually put content on my screen :(

(it's probably me just being an old curmudgeon about change...)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2